Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
A Tale of Two Companies (NuWave – Amazon)

I purchased a NuWave Titanium induction cooktop from Amazon in May of 2015. It had a 12 month warranty and failed in Feburary of 2016.

The Amazon rules clearly specify that returns after 30 days will be handled by the seller, and they provide a link to the seller. In this case that link just returned to Amazon. You must go through some hoops before you can talk to a real person at Amazon, but after jumping through those hoops they talked to me.

They said that the unit was really sold by NuWave and I should contact them for the warranty replacement. A call to NuWave followed and they wanted a copy of the receipt from Amazon. I sent the Amazon receipt the next day by email, and NuWave contacted me by phone a day later.

They said that Amazon was not an authorized seller, and they would not honor the warranty.

I then contacted Amazon again by phone and explained what NuWave said. The representative put me on hold for a few minutes while he did some checking.

He apologized for my troubles and said he discovered many complaints about NuWave and that Amazon would give me a refund for my full purchase price since NuWave wouldn’t honor the warranty on their product, and he would send me an address label to return the defective unit at no cost to me.

But wait a minute! He then discovered that I didn’t need to return the defective unit at all. Amazon would just return my full purchase price, and I could just discard the defective unit. An email from Amazon that same day verified that the full purchase of $159.00 was being refunded to my credit card.

What a difference!

I will never buy any NuWave product again, and I urge everyone to do the same. This is not the first warranty problem I have had with NuWave. My first NuWave purchase was from NuWave itself and included some “non-stick” cookware. It turned out that the cookware wasn’t non-stick at all, but NuWave would not honor that warranty either. I should have learned from that experience!

The quality of the NuWave cooktops also comes into question. I have owned four of them and three have failed either in the warranty period or just after it expired. This is truly an unfortunate situation because of all the consumer induction cooktops I have checked; the NuWave has the best published specifications – 5 degree F settings from 100 to 525 F 99 hour timer – programmed cooking. Too bad, but we live and learn.

I will buy from Amazon whenever possible.

Since induction cooking has become so popular, I will publish the report on all the internet forums I follow.

Good Luck!

Wil Andrews
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP
Cummins ISL, Cummins E-Brake
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I agree Wil! Amazon gives amazing customer service!

I bought a True Induction cooktop from Amazon but didn't install it for quite some time. After installing it, I found it was not performing according to specs. I contacted Amazon, but by that time it was beyond the replacement period, and they suggested I contact True Induction. I don't blame Amazon for that since it was my fault I didn't try it right after receiving it.

True Induction took back the defective cooktop and sent me another one which seems to be OK.

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
My question would be, why does Amazon continue to sell Nuwave? I agree that Amazon is great but if they know a company is bad why continue to sell it.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
I raised that same question, and the guy said he would look into it. We'll see.

Good Luck!
Wil Andrews
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP
Cummins ISL, Cummins E-Brake
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by rambler62 View Post
My question would be, why does Amazon continue to sell Nuwave? I agree that Amazon is great but if they know a company is bad why continue to sell it.
I'm not sure that Amazon is the seller here.. It's likely a 3rd party or it's Nuwave through Amazon. Either way, Amazon has great customer service.
Buy it on a CC with benefits that extend the warranty.

Amazon isn't transparent about their rating of sellers. Products, yes, but sellers is a bit unclear... It's possible for the same link to a product to be provided by multiple sellers.

The product itself gets 4.5+ stars, 4 different sellers - which all seem to be 2nd hand retailers.

I'm also a "seller" on Amazon and ebay - the consumer has ALL the power, especially if they use a credit card.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote