Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AAA Membership

How much is to much, or which one give ya better bang for your buck.
I just got some AAA informaction in the mail, I See that they have a RV package for $ 109.00, They do have a list of items like 100 mile towing, tire repair, ect
I already have Good Sam, FMCA,
Or is better to have and not need, than need and not have

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
How much is to much, or which one give ya better bang for your buck.
I just got some AAA informaction in the mail, I See that they have a RV package for $ 109.00, They do have a list of items like 100 mile towing, tire repair, ect
I already have Good Sam, FMCA,
Or is better to have and not need, than need and not have
We had AAA for years prior to purchasing our RV. At that time I started looking at other options and with the advice of many people here on iRV2 we settled on Coach-Net.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

When we looked at AAA a few years ago, we found their rv coverage varied depending on what region you were in when you needed them. Some areas did not support rv coverage at that time and you were on your own finding help, with reimbursement from the home area. We have Coach Net and are extremely pleased with its services. Prior to that we had Good Sam. Our experience with Good Sam's level of service was less than we thought it should have been.

Whenever these threads appear here and in other forums, Coach Net seems to be the service of choice. Good Sam has a lot of supporters. Many rely on towing insurance from their vehicle insurance company, and a few rely on AAA. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
paz

I have not heard many good things about AAA RV road service. IMO, you are better off with Coach Net or Good Sam. Both of them seem to understand RVs better than AAA.

That being said, we maintain a regular AAA membership because we find their travel books to be useful in looking for thing to do and see as we travel to different areas.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I have not heard many good things about AAA RV road service. IMO, you are better off with Coach Net or Good Sam. Both of them seem to understand RVs better than AAA.

That being said, we maintain a regular AAA membership because we find their travel books to be useful in looking for thing to do and see as we travel to different areas.

AAA just for travel books/trip tickets...kind of expensive for some books that can be purchased from other sources (cheaper) or researched on the internet.

My DW felt the same way about AAA but when I explained the cost associated with this limited service she told me to cancel.

Coach-Net also provides towing and emergency service for your cars so it cancels the need for AAA.

Just my opinion
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

I had AAA for the first RV. The one time I used it they were useless. I use Good Sam now and it covers all my cars and RV. I have had to use it once and they were at least aware what an RV was and sent the correct service people. Since I do not have a spare tire for my coach or car, it is peace of mind.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coach-Net !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Until 2/28 GS has ERS for First time buyers for $79.95 for 15 months.

I just got my renewal notice from another ERS I have had for over 18 years.
For $114.95 last year it was $109.95

May be time for me to switch and save $4.25 a month($63.75) over the next 15 months.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #9

If you search these forums long enough you will find horror stories about all of the services. That said, you will also find many good reports on all of them. Both Coach-Net and Good Sam specialize in RV's and are probably you best choices. They both also cover your personal cars AND rental cars.

We have had Coach-Net for many years now and have needed them only a couple of times. Each time the service has been great. We once needed them while in Canada for our personal car. A flat tire in temps down in the -20 degree range. While local services were quoting a wait of 1 - 2 hours, Coach-Net had a service there in 20 minutes, and true sign and drive service. There is no towing mileage limit, other than agreeing to tow to the closest QUALIFIED service facility. Among other services they also have qualified RV tech's on staff to talk you through minor repairs and trouble shooting problems to determine the best service to send.

In short, we are completely satisfied with http://www.coach-net.com/, more services and for about the same price you were quoted for AAA.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
We had AAA for years prior to purchasing our RV. At that time I started looking at other options and with the advice of many people here on iRV2 we settled on Coach-Net.
40 year AAA member here, when we bought the coach I did some research online, just reading many threads on just who was happiest with their roadside assistance company. CoachNet is our tow insurance.

Reasons for deciding that were,

AAA has a mileage limit after which you pay, CoachNet tows to the nearest qualified repair shop even if you're way out there, important as we're out west with a whole lot of miles between here and there.

Percent of happy users was way higher with CoachNet, didn't find any unsatisfied users and from what I read CoachNet had the best network with the proper tow truck for the size of the RV sent first time.

At the time Good Sam had irritated me with the volume of mail and I saw more than a few unhappy reports so I didn't consider them. For all I know them may be fine, some folks are happy with them for sure.

Good luck, having tow insurance is great peace of mind, but I hope you never have to use whatever you buy.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We were AAA members for many years and always thought we got our money's worth out of the membership. When we bought our coach the selling dealership made us a gift of our first year of Coach-Net membership. After looking at the costs and benefits of each and realizing that our Jeep was also covered by Coach-Net we dropped our AAA membership.

The free travel guides and maps from AAA can always be found from other sources.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

Our AAA RV coverage was $165 additional a year. AND we weren't using the AAA benefits at hotels. It seems THAT was the only benefit. I called AAA to get info from them and it took them 5+ minutes to find me/my account. We switched to Good Sam Road Service when I called them (after signing up) and they answered the phone "hello Mrs. Warren, how can we help you". Sounds like a small thing ... but was important to me. Also overall it was MUCH cheaper with them.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have Coach-Net, only used it twice but it's been good for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have had CAA for years (CAA is the Canadian division of AAA). Now we have CAA RV Plus. We also have Coach-Net.

I have been considering using Coach-Net only, in other words dropping CAA.

Have any other Canadians considered doing this, or have done it?

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote