Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I see no benefit in being an AARP member and their political beliefs are the exact opposite of mine. I choose not to support them.
I'm with you on this one.

At least with Good Sam I make my dues back in campground savings.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1
I see no benefit in being an AARP member and their political beliefs are the exact opposite of mine. I choose not to support them.

Totaly agree with you Wayne, especially the politcal part. AARP, regardless of what they espouse, does not speak for me as a senior citizen on any political issue.

Dieselclacker

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #17

As several folks above have stated, I WILL NOT join AARP as their political agenda is the opposite of mine. I don't know if they are still owned by the same large insurance company managed by the same person from several years ago, but at the time he was a major contributor to Handgun Control.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
You really want to have fun. When you get all that important [junk] mail try putting it in the return envolope and send it back, you are doing 2 good things 1. helping out the US Post Office and 2. reclycing at the same time. Guess what the mailing list will take your name off the list after a couple of months.
Make sure you write in big letters NO THANK YOU on application.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #19

I dropped Good Sam and started on AARP but just found out that since my ex-employer's subsidized medicare supplemental health insurance program is AARP connected, I have to be a member to be enrolled in it and get the advantage of what my ex-employer contributes. And that I cannot afford to lose.
Really a bummer.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #20

I have always looked at AARP as nothing more then a insurance sales org as that seems to be all they do. but then every time i have gotten a quote from them i find i can get the policy cheaper elsewhere especially the auto insurance
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All:

When we retired, we too joined AARP believing it to be "the thing that retired folks do." At the time (2005) AARP kind of represented itself as THE organized "advocate" FOR retired people.

Well, we've now come to the realization that AARP is NOT a politically impartial organization and amounts to little more than a cleverly disguised, very politically partial, opinionated, and agenda oriented company, funded by retirees. Upon expiration of our current "membership", we're otta there!!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm really having a problem trying to understand what all the fuss is about. What is the political agenda for AARP and Good Sam, et al, that bothers everyone? What's wrong with "big business"? To me, it sounds like much ado about nothing. Am I like the husband who is always the last to know? What's going on here?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #23

AARP is a very strong supporter of the ------------party; if thats your party, fine; its not mine. so I won't join to support them.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
AARP is a very strong supporter of the ------------party; if thats your party, fine; its not mine. so I won't join to support them.
Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader. I guess I would have a choice of two parties here but neither would sway my decision to use either AARP or Good Sam. What in the world does politics have to do with it anyway?????
Old 04-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader. I guess I would have a choice of two parties here but neither would sway my decision to use either AARP or Good Sam. What in the world does politics have to do with it anyway?????
If you joined AARP you would know; I'll give you a clew; as we are not to bash anthing on this site-----The party starts with a R, hope this helps, realy can;t be much clearer.
As to what politics has to do with it, I used to belong to AARP some of the propaganda they sent out was very biased in one direction (not mine). thats why I won't support them.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
If you joined AARP you would know; I'll give you a clew; as we are not to bash anthing on this site-----The party starts with a R, hope this helps, realy can;t be much clearer.
As to what politics has to do with it, I used to belong to AARP some of the propaganda they sent out was very biased in one direction (not mine). thats why I won't support them.
I've been a member of AARP for almost 20 years . I joined them because I wanted a lobby that would champion geezer views in Washington and I'm satisfied they do that. Secondly, I joined them to get a discount on CG dues and that has certainly worked.

If I, or anyone, was to live my life based on which party is in power, I would have been frustrated to death in the 60s. If anyone lives their life that way, they have my sympathy. Politics doesn't run my life, never has, never will.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
So I just read thru this discussion. One person says they support the R party. Another says their owner supports Handgun Control, which leans D.

Personally I thought they had moved from R to D over the years. But I couldn't say for sure. And, despite their differences, both parties lean toward wealthy and business interests anyway, to satisfy their major contributors. Just look at the current $ bailout program. Ds want to prop up the banks and others who caused this problem. Rs want to fight raising taxes on the wealthy. Take your pick....
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Politics doesn't run my life, never has, never will.
Amen.

Politics is like the weather . . . it changes regularly. The clubs are, well, clubs. Join or don't join based on the benefits.