Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #1

AARP Members retired

AARP just installed a new CEO. Since this is a member's organization supported by dues from the members, shouldn't the members have had a vote on who will be responsible for spending our dues. Especially since this person will be making the decisions on our health, auto, home, and personal insurance policy provisions. And also what AARP will lobby for or against in Congress. (Ever wonder why AARP hasn't objected to the fact retirees can be taxed on up to 85% of Social Security income when we've already paid taxes on 50% while working?)
I called AARP today and asked that question, "duh, we've never had that question asked before" was all I could get.
Maybe no one else is concerned about this, but it seems a little odd to me that the members have no say so whatsoever.

Wagonmaster2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Same with Good Sam club, you have no say in running the business. AARP is a business too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Same with Good Sam club, you have no say in running the business. AARP is a business too.
Ray, I couldn't have said it any better, it's a buisness and AARP makes a lot of $$$$$$$$ off of referrals, and that's basically what they do. Guess who pays for all the TV time they have, members and supporters.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #4

I did not renew AARP or Good Sam. They are both big business.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of these "Members Only Organizations" are nothing more than a fly trap to snare folks like myself into joining and then taking advantage of their "good deals". I belong to Good Sam and AARP and several other organizations whose stated purpose is to support the "members" -- my dues over the years probably cost me more than any benefit derived from my membership. Oh, I forgot, we do get a card for our wallets and purses!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

I've dropped Good Sam and will probably do the same with AARP when my dues expires.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Most of these "Members Only Organizations" are nothing more than a fly trap to snare folks like myself into joining and then taking advantage of their "good deals". I belong to Good Sam and AARP and several other organizations whose stated purpose is to support the "members" -- my dues over the years probably cost me more than any benefit derived from my membership. Oh, I forgot, we do get a card for our wallets and purses!
You said it best, and so true. Just like all the ADS on TV, their all paid ACTOR'S, but how many people actually realize this, sometimes after the fact.
Just read last night A******* Group, who owns Camping World, has been given an option for FINANCIAL RELIEF from a major lender, with no commitment in STONE, only if they agree to sell Camping World. I wonder what will haappen to all the people who have paid for EXTENDED WARRANTY'S, makes you kinda wonder. I would also think Good Sams will go by the wayside as well. Life goes on, with changes.
David G.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I see all of your points on membership and decisions! However, they are Corporations with Owners and/or Shareholders and the Owners and/or Shareholders make the decisions. If the membership does not like what the managment is doing they can, as many of you are, not renew their membership.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Jim: GREAT SUGGESTION!!! Let's start the ball rolling and ALL drop our memberships. Steve & Lynette
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I've dropped Good Sam and will probably do the same with AARP when my dues expires.

Wagonmaster2
I bet that will show them who's boss!
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see no benefit in being an AARP member and their political beliefs are the exact opposite of mine. I choose not to support them.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Corporation's today care about nothing except NUMBER'S, I know what your going to think, that 's what makes the world go around, but come on, what happened to the "LITTLE GUY", he's been forgotten about. You think they will ever wonder what happened? "NOT".
David G.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is going to take 1000s more like those of you who aren't renewing AARP to get their attention. Most people don't understand what that organization really stands for and what actions that they take. I continue to get requests to join, which I tear up. There are plenty of good choices for everything that AARP offers - that don't come with the political baggage that they have.

I actually joined Good Sam for the sole purpose of stopping their their flood of mailings. Before becoming a member, I had a whole tree's worth of advertising every week. After joining at a real bargain (I think it ended up costing me $2.50 with the discounts and rebates), I went to their website and stopped all solicitations. It took about 3 more months but to slowed to a trickle then stopped completely. My membership lapsed but the flood of advertising hasn't started again. I guess they got my message.

I've come to the conclusion that anything that has to be marketed has hard as AARP and Good Sam's do is, at the very least, highly suspect. Good products and services usually pretty much sell themselves with a minimum amount of exposure. Ever notice that AARP and the Shamwow guy have about the same amount of space in the TV commercial parade?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cancelling Membership's

Well guy's, today two of my task's were to follow my Gut and call on these people. 1St I called AARP and spoke with Mr. Hernandez about my request to cancel my remaining 6 mos of due's. His 1st word (which I was not in the mood for) was WHY, my reply, it was none of his buisness that I felt the direction of his company has nothing to offer me that I would benefit from. His reply and here it comes, that COMPANY POLICY DOES NOT ALLOW ANY REFUNDS. I reminded him that I have his name and also advised him that I hope he is truthfull about his idenity, since the PROMPT did advise me that my call was being monitored, and I would certanily call back to verify if I had too. For the 2nd time he reminded me it was COMPANY POLICY FOR NO REFUNDS. I told him that was not the answer I'm looking for, so pass me on to your supervisor. He immediately transferred me to the REFUND DEPARTMENT, @ his same location in Nevada. The lady was cordual and promt to tell me my REFUND of $6.32 would be credited to my bank within the next TWO billing cycles. My reply, WHY? since it only took you less than two hours to hit my account for the original joining fee. Her answer, COMPANY POLCY!!!!!!!!! Sorta like calling your Satellite provider when your TV goes out. You don't know if your in INDIA, Maylasia, The Phillipines or anywhere else, it's the AMERICAN WAY. Tomorrow will be GOOD SAMS, after spending 10 minutes in their prompt, they were closed. Come join in, it's a lot of fun. Isn't that what retiree's are supposed to be doing? having fun, you betcha.
David G.