Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Accessibility to a Walmart Parking Lot

I would like to let RV travelers traveling east on 50 Highway through Sedalia Mo to know that Walmart parking lot entrances are blocked by a low clearance barricades marked 12' 11" with no warning that they are there until after you make a right turn into the driveway and there is no place to turn around. I did call Walmart requesting locations of other Walmart stores that or also doing that and when I receive this information I will pass it on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

That ends this thread. W/M will not answer you back, guess we just have to watch for those wonderful gates ourselves.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #3

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is frequently caused by RVer's abusing the hospitality offered by Wal-Mart. A few spoil it for the rest of us. Common sense rules are posted all over the internet for acting in a way that doesn't cause them to do this sort of thing.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is frequently caused by RVer's abusing the hospitality offered by Wal-Mart. A few spoil it for the rest of us. Common sense rules are posted all over the internet for acting in a way that doesn't cause them to do this sort of thing.
Not to discount your theory, as there are many abuses, but this is more frequently caused by the local city/town ordinances banning parking over night.

Sometimes these rules are pushed by the local campground(s), sometimes by nearby residents.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

I agree with you on that, but in my experience, local regulations result in putting up prohibition signs. I think putting up overhead barriers would come from some RV'ers (or vagabonds) abusing the privilege provided by Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, in my town, the signs are up and provide a revenue stream for the town. For example, I have heard that the Wal-Mart in the ND oil patch put up the barriers due to having so many folks living in the parking lot. We have over nighted over 100 times and have seen it all.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #6

Much ado about nothing.

12' 11" isn't going to keep many RVs out anyway but might stop all the big trucks that come in to rest up for a few hours. There is always the truck entrance out back.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Much ado about nothing.

12' 11" isn't going to keep many RVs out anyway but might stop all the big trucks that come in to rest up for a few hours. There is always the truck entrance out back.
I agree. I ran across the same thing when checking out a WalMart on Google Earth Streetview. It also had a sign that said no trucks and was specifically for semis. The semis were supposed to use a different entrance because of cramped turning radius at that particular entrance.

I used a different entrance as did other RVers. I also checked with their security and they said that RVers were welcome, they just didn't want semis using that particular entrance. No problem.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #8

I have often seen those "low clearance barricades" hanging over Walmart parking lot entrances.
The "work around" for that problem is: Use the delivery truck entrance....(they are never to low for a RV).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Additional Information about Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I would like to let RV travelers traveling east on 50 Highway through Sedalia Mo to know that Walmart parking lot entrances are blocked by a low clearance barricades marked 12' 11" with no warning that they are there until after you make a right turn into the driveway and there is no place to turn around. I did call Walmart requesting locations of other Walmart stores that or also doing that and when I receive this information I will pass it on.
I called Walmart Costumer Service and explained what had happen. I was told that I would be contacted by the Manager of the Sedalia Mo Walmart in three days and I was contacted in three days by a lady named Candy, I assume that it was the manager. She said that she was sorry that it happen and said that there was parking in the rear of the store for trucks and RV's. She did not say anything about the lack of signs stating that there were parking in the rear for RV's.
I thought there was a sign stating the height of the clearance but when I drove by it on the return trip my wife noticed that the informational sign just said low clearance.
The Sedalia Walmart did not appear to be interested in putting up any warning signs staying that there parking in the rear and to enter at your own risk.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I called Walmart Costumer Service and explained what had happen. I was told that I would be contacted by the Manager of the Sedalia Mo Walmart in three days and I was contacted in three days by a lady named Candy, I assume that it was the manager. She said that she was sorry that it happen and said that there was parking in the rear of the store for trucks and RV's. She did not say anything about the lack of signs stating that there were parking in the rear for RV's.
I thought there was a sign stating the height of the clearance but when I drove by it on the return trip my wife noticed that the informational sign just said low clearance.
The Sedalia Walmart did not appear to be interested in putting up any warning signs staying that there parking in the rear and to enter at your own risk.
OK, they called you back, they apologized, they told you could come back and stay there and you're still kinda grumbling???
I'm not sure what else you want Walmart to do???

But maybe I'm missing something. So the 12' 11" sign is not there, just a "low clearance" sign. You said no place to turn around . . . what happened? Did you have to disconnect your toad and back out onto the street? How did you get out of your predicament?
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

FWIW parking even gets banned when there are no neighbors and no campgrounds in the town. Henrietta, NY is right off the 90/390 interchange and used to be a good place to stop. The town got on some kiind of parking crusade that hassles everybody with a boat, trailer or motorhome. The Walmart got caught in the same mess.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

We encountered this in Statesboro GA. We were looking so hard on where to go that we didn't even notice the barricade when we went into the lot.
We saw it at the last minute when we were leaving the lot. DH stopped suddenly, and I got out and watched him go under with literally no room to spare. We measure 13'6", so obviously, it wasn't 12'11" as stated on the sign, but this gave us a quick lesson to pay attention to everything.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have (so far) always google mapped my stopping places like Walmart, Cracker Barrel and such. In the case of CB I am looking for RV parking and where it is at and at other places I am looking for the barriers mentioned by the OP. I've seen more barriers than I expected to. In some cases I think it is a formality. As an example, in one case I could bypass the barrier by going into the rule area (my original intent anyway to get fuel) and then get into the parking lot area. Go figure. LOL
Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I agree. I ran across the same thing when checking out a WalMart on Google Earth Streetview. It also had a sign that said no trucks and was specifically for semis. The semis were supposed to use a different entrance because of cramped turning radius at that particular entrance.

I used a different entrance as did other RVers. I also checked with their security and they said that RVers were welcome, they just didn't want semis using that particular entrance. No problem.

Exactly. They (WM) are not targeting RVers, but simply are trying to get the large trucks to use the less congested entrances. If they wanted to keep all RVers out, the "Max Headroom" bumpers would be much lower.

I do like you are doing ... scope out the ingress/egress with Google's little man on the street.

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....