Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Accidents and Tickets!

Accidents and tickets, that was the topic of discussion the other day while sitting around the table during a pot luck with 6 others. First someone said “I just had an accident yesterday, the first is two years” said with some pride. Another said “I haven’t had a bad accident in 10 years” said with equal pride. The conversation ballooned a bit when someone else said “I’ve only gotten maybe a dozen tickets in my lifetime of driving and only 3 accidents, of which only one was a bad one”.

That got me to thinking, usually a bad thing, how do you fare? Are you proud of your driving record? I just passed my 60th year of driving, and probably a million and a half miles on the road and I’ve had……well maybe I will wait a while before I make that announcement. So, where are you in the accident and ticket department? Are you a good driver?

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Maybe a dozen tickets (half of those in my Camaro at the age of 37) and 2 bumper-thumpers in 50 years of driving.

The last ticket - last year, the first since the 1980s - was for not wearing a seat belt. The cop wanted to give me a speeding ticket but didn't have me clocked. Instead he cited me for not wearing a seat belt because I took it off to reach the glove compartments for the registration. I don't count that one.

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
46 years behind the wheel. 2 speeding tickets - 1 minor accident. I will not follow the instructions from another campground employee again!
onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

I'm 67. No accidents and one ticket. I hope to keep it that way!
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to have a basket ball coach that said if you do not make a few fouls you are not playing hard enogh.

I have had a few tickets, but overall, a rather good record.. One thing you will **NOT** find in my record is driving under the influence or anything related to it.

That one there is no excuse for.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

I can't imagine bragging about "only" getting a dozen tickets. I've driven millions of miles and did get two speeding tickets and both of them were me being stupid and not paying attention. I've never had anything other than a minor fender bender and I hope to continue avoiding anything serious.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

Will be 69 in March . . . never a ticket, never an accident. That's not to say I haven't done anything to deserve a ticket, just never been caught . . . yet.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I can't imagine bragging about "only" getting a dozen tickets. I've driven millions of miles and did get two speeding tickets and both of them were me being stupid and not paying attention. I've never had anything other than a minor fender bender and I hope to continue avoiding anything serious.
Don't recall "bragging", just stated the fact and answered the question from the OP.

And don't give that holier than thou stuff. You just haven't been caught as often.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
The last ticket - last year, the first since the 1980s - was for not wearing a seat belt. The cop wanted to give me a speeding ticket but didn't have me clocked. Instead he cited me for not wearing a seat belt because I took it off to reach the glove compartments for the registration. I don't count that one.
That one sucked, and I agree, I wouldn't count that one either!

Quote:
46 years behind the wheel. 2 speeding tickets - 1 minor accident. I will not follow the instructions from another campground employee again!
Funny! We ran into that a few months ago at the Dinosaur National Monument a park employee said "just drive your rig up this road and there is a large parking lot and some great hiking trails." Yep, I agree with you onlakegaston, never trust their directions either!

Quote:
Will be 69 in March . . . never a ticket, never an accident. That's not to say I haven't done anything to deserve a ticket, just never been caught . . . yet.
"...just never been caught . . . yet" Love that one!

Another question: why is it even though I have the cruise control set right at the speed limit I still hit the brakes at the sight of a cop car?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 60 years old and have had 5 or 6 tickets and 5 or 6 accidents. The majority of the accidents were not my fault. And as far as the tickets go, I deserved the majority of those and more.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

62 and only one reportable accident. A guy was "trying" to making a U turn as I passing him. He was in the break down lane. I was driving a tractor trailer and of course, It was my fault. Insurance company said it was cheaper than trying to fight his claim. My personal insurance ballooned.
Only half a dozen tickets when I was younger and of course one for seat belt recently.
Kinda pleased with my record.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Be 70 in a few month's, well over 1.5 million miles, 1 ticket when I was 18 and 3 minor bumper thumpers, non my fault. 1 my fault when I was 17. Drove vehicles cold weather testing all over in N America in some really bad weather. Maybe good driving and maybe a touch (or more) of good luck.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

All of the collision industry publications I get say the industry average is an accident every 7 years. This average is NOT mileage dependent. I can tell you that a lot of my customers help keep that average low...I see some of them every few months!

My last accident was about 8 years ago, and over 15 years before that.

I drive about 60k for work, plus my normal commute and regular driving. Have not had a ticket in about 5 years.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
4 speeding tickets when I was 16-17 years old. No at fault accidents. Now 70 years old. I guess I learned something from the speeding tickeys.

dconley is offline   Reply With Quote