Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #29
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
We might live to find out, again I say a promise was made, now these hacks want to change the rules. They are messing with the wrong people, let's cut congressional pensions and health care, what have they sacrificed to serve?
I say we take the congressional pension and health care funds and put them into Social Security and Medicare. Congress should have the same benefits as we do..JM2˘

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hopefully enough folks will use their one vote to throw the bastards out and get a non professional politician congress. The longer they are in office the more corrupt they get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Send your representatives a note telling them your feelings. Tell them to stop the spending on the dead-beats and illegals before they start doing our military folks dirty.

Ken
Quote:
We might live to find out, again I say a promise was made, now these hacks want to change the rules. They are messing with the wrong people, let's cut congressional pensions and health care, what have they sacrificed to serve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I say we take the congressional pension and health care funds and put them into Social Security and Medicare. Congress should have the same benefits as we do..JM2˘

We've got some darn fine Congressman, but we have got to figure out which ones, you and me can figure out which ones they are.

If we can't figure it out..we'll have to vote the booger out of office. And try somebody else new anyway!
That's a quote......George "Buzzard" Massie 1939-1993

I think he hits it right squarely on the nail head.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Unfortunately this will not work, Congress is already on Social Security (since 1984) and they contribute to it. See blue text below.

What we have to do is get rid of the professional politicians. End their corrupt reign. While the average salary for rank and file is $174,000.00 (Leadership is $194,000.00). Their real money comes from the back room deals, PAC funds, Perks (that you and I pay for) etc... I assume their actual salary is is only a small piece of their annual income.

Their Pension fund is not all that great either between $40,000.00 and $70,000.00 annually.

It's the deals they strike while in office that carries them through their retirement years.

Remember the old adage, why would anyone spend several million dollars to get a $200,000.00 job. It's the side benefits that are not posted anywhere.

Get rid of the professional politicians who only care about themselves. We fail to do this every election as I think most Americans believe their Reps are ok, it's the other Reps that are corrupt. Get rid of all of them. Send them the message that they work for us!

Prior to 1984, neither federal civil service employees nor Members of Congress paid Social Security taxes, nor were they eligible for Social Security benefits. Members of Congress and other federal employees were instead covered by a separate pension plan called the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). The 1983 amendments to the Social Security Act (P.L. 98-21) required federal employees first hired after 1983 to participate in Social Security. These amendments also required all Members of Congress to participate in Social Security as of January 1, 1984, regardless of when they first entered Congress. Because CSRS was not designed to coordinate with Social Security, Congress directed the development of a new retirement plan for federal workers. The result was the Federal Employees’ Retirement System Act of 1986 (P.L. 99- 335).

Members of Congress first elected in 1984 or later are covered automatically under the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS). All Senators and those Representatives serving as Members prior to September 30, 2003, may decline this coverage. Representatives entering office on or after September 30, 2003, cannot elect to be excluded from such coverage. Members who were already in Congress when Social Security coverage went into effect could either remain in CSRS or change their coverage to FERS. Members are now covered under one of four different retirement arrangements:

• CSRS and Social Security;

• The “CSRS Offset” plan, which includes both CSRS and Social Security, but with CSRS contributions and benefits reduced by Social Security contributions and benefits;

• FERS and Social Security; or

• Social Security alone.

Congressional pensions, like those of other federal employees, are financed through a combination of employee and employer contributions. All Members pay Social Security payroll taxes equal to 6.2% of the Social Security taxable wage base ($106,800 in 2011). Members enrolled in FERS also pay 1.3% of full salary to the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. In 2011, Members covered by CSRS Offset pay 1.8% of the first $106,800 of salary, and 8.0% of salary above this amount, into the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund.

Under both CSRS and FERS, Members of Congress are eligible for a pension at the age of 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting amount of a Member’s retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final salary.

As of October 1, 2009, 455 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 275 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $69,012. A total of 180 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $40,140 in 2009.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Dennis. I was just getting ready to come on and set some facts straight. There has been a lot of misinformation going around regarding Federal Employee's retirement plans, and both House Members are federal employees. And both House Member have to abide by the regulations.

The House Member also contribute to the Federal Employees Health Benefit Program (FEHBP) as do other members of the Federal government. (If you do not know, the U.S. Government is the largest employer in the United States.) When a person retires they can elect to continue coverage in the FEHBP and pay premiums. I did not elect to continue FEHBP coverage since I am eligible for Tricare for Life. But I still pay in over $2500 a year in Medicare Part B coverage. Trust me, the premiums are not inexpensive for FEHBP. There are no Free-bees. Persons enrolled in the FEHBP typically pay from 25 to 28 percent of the medical coverage. Private sector person's typically pay less percentage, 20-25%.

In 1984 Federal Employees that were on the CSRS were given an option to stay on it or convert over to the FERS. CSRS - no social Security. FERS - Social Security.

From About.com:
"According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, 290 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006."

So that is not FULL salary.

I really believe they should be term limited - but that's another discussion.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Unfortunately this will not work, Congress is already on Social Security (since 1984) and they contribute to it. See blue text below.
Picked up on several things to which I was not aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
....There has been a lot of misinformation going around regarding Federal Employee's retirement plans....I really believe they should be term limited - but that's another discussion
As mentioned in previous threads, I belong to several gun/shooters forums and use the following as part of my signature block to voice my growing feelings on the subject of term limits.

Let's limit all US politicians to two terms,
One in office - One in prison
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post

Now that's something I could get behind
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Picked up on several things to which I was not aware.

As mentioned in previous threads, I belong to several gun/shooters forums and use the following as part of my signature block to voice my growing feelings on the subject of term limits.

Quote:
Now that's something I could get behind
X2

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Greatest bumper sticker I ever saw..

ReelectNobody.com - We, the People, are term limits!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put in my three and got out. However, too many times what starts out as a guaranteed benefit that was an incentive to serve has now changed somehow to "an entitlement" like you're asking for something that you haven't earned. Burns my behind.. Before we touch a single benefit for our service personnel we need to cut out all aid to illegals and every dime of welfare for persons who have never given one minutes service to this great nation. If we keep welshing on our service persons someday we won't have any. Time to clean out all the elected in Washington who want to shaft our now serving personnel, retirees and other veterans and start over. Just MHO.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. From the Roman satirist and poet Juvenal (circa 100 AD ).
When 51% of United States citizens pay no income tax and receive some kind of handout from the government this is what we get, and we can expect more.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Funny how at one time "Welfare" which was supposed to be regarded as a social safety-net has slowly become a way of life. Too many are pulling benefits and getting thousands in monthly freebees (medical dental optical) and not contributing a damn thing to our societies either side of the border.

Of course if we get rid of the "hangers on" we would then eliminate the requirement of those doling out the social safety-net; the bureaucracy with the power of jurisdiction.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I read with alarm the plan to charge higher rates for TRICARE coverage if one is "working age". I am "working age". I am also 100 percent service connected disabled. But under the plan now being run up the flag pole, I will now be paying higher rates for TRICARE Prime for my family, and an annual "enrollment fee" for my TRICARE For Life coverage, AND paying higher Medicare premiums to boot. TRICARE For Life is a secondary payer to Medicare if you are disabled.

But I guess I would fall in the trap of "unintended consequences", seeing as the powers that be in the federal government don't give a rodent's rectum about anyone who wears a uniform, despite all the window dressing and photo ops.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
...... Before we touch a single benefit for our service personnel we need to cut out all aid to illegals and every dime of welfare for persons who have never given one minutes service to this great nation. If we keep welshing on our service persons someday we won't have any......
Generations of families have thrived on welfare without contributing one dime. In an interview in NO a person was asked why they didn't work and were on welfare. They replied that they tried working once, but didn't like it. This was broadcast on national television. Come on "leaders." Wake up.

I am for any foreigner coming to the United States as long as they do it legally. Many of our forefathers were immigrants, and our country was founded on their ethics and beliefs. But they came here legally.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Generations of families have thrived on welfare without contributing one dime. In an interview in NO a person was asked why they didn't work and were on welfare. They replied that they tried working once, but didn't like it. This was broadcast on national television. Come on "leaders." Wake up.

I am for any foreigner coming to the United States as long as they do it legally. Many of our forefathers were immigrants, and our country was founded on their ethics and beliefs. But they came here legally.
I with you Wayne. Why should we be giving benefits, that citizens cannot receive, to people who committed a crime by the way they entered this great nation.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote