Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This could have been posted in humor but considering the Bad speling thread it will go here.
Thinking and learning is unfortunately becoming a major problem. We see all too often, segments on morning shows, coverage on the growing problem of children failing in school. The debate of it being the childrens fault or the schools' will be ongoing. My view is that it is the parents failure to enforce their childrens attendance and learning. It would be no ones business were it not a national problem affecting the nations' future.
As there are no children in our home, my only response to the problem is in dealing with the young and sometimes not so young as I encounter people who seem unable to think. Example, going to an auto parts store with the part number at hand of what I want. More often as not I'm asked what I want it for. My answer is always "I want it for free, but since this store seldom fails to have what I require I'll agree to half price". This usually is meet with a vacant expression where one would hope for a response. I enjoy it.
In the same vein, is radio. Here in no mans land there are few stations available on the radio. When National Public Radio begins replaying the same programing it is time to change stations. The local red neck country station has very few advertisers and only one master music tape. Between music and the few commercials to fill program time they have added some memorable sound bites. My personal favorite is one we all know and goes like this. Little girl asks sweetly and innocently " and what would you do with it if you had a brain".
I love that and use it often when dealing with the desert rats around here.
There is another outstanding one involving a young salesman in the shoe department at Macy's. I was resident in Europe working in Ca. I maintained a Ca. bank account but had my foreign address printed on the checks. The Macy's store was local to the bank so I used a check to pay for purchase. The kid when verifying info on check said Scotland, that's another state isn't it. I just looked at him and said yes another state of mind!
People if you still have kids at home, please send them to school to learn!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This could have been posted in humor but considering the Bad speling thread it will go here.
Thinking and learning is unfortunately becoming a major problem. We see all too often, segments on morning shows, coverage on the growing problem of children failing in school. The debate of it being the childrens fault or the schools' will be ongoing. My view is that it is the parents failure to enforce their childrens attendance and learning. It would be no ones business were it not a national problem affecting the nations' future.
As there are no children in our home, my only response to the problem is in dealing with the young and sometimes not so young as I encounter people who seem unable to think. Example, going to an auto parts store with the part number at hand of what I want. More often as not I'm asked what I want it for. My answer is always "I want it for free, but since this store seldom fails to have what I require I'll agree to half price". This usually is meet with a vacant expression where one would hope for a response. I enjoy it.
In the same vein, is radio. Here in no mans land there are few stations available on the radio. When National Public Radio begins replaying the same programing it is time to change stations. The local red neck country station has very few advertisers and only one master music tape. Between music and the few commercials to fill program time they have added some memorable sound bites. My personal favorite is one we all know and goes like this. Little girl asks sweetly and innocently " and what would you do with it if you had a brain".
I love that and use it often when dealing with the desert rats around here.
There is another outstanding one involving a young salesman in the shoe department at Macy's. I was resident in Europe working in Ca. I maintained a Ca. bank account but had my foreign address printed on the checks. The Macy's store was local to the bank so I used a check to pay for purchase. The kid when verifying info on check said Scotland, that's another state isn't it. I just looked at him and said yes another state of mind!
People if you still have kids at home, please send them to school to learn!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #3

Please don't get me started about the NEA.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

Here's a good one for you...

In Tampa, Fl, a young man checked in at MacDill AFB bringing his Canadian wife with him. They went to the DMV to get FL driver's license and the DMV employee asked for the wife's SS#. The husband interjected, saying they couldn't use it because hers was from Ontario, Canada.

The DMV employee responded with "That's okay, sir, we take SS#s from all the different states."

Marcia
P.S. RV show next month...38th Annual Penn RV & Camping Show...I am on the edge of my seat to buy! Thank God DH has both feet planted firmly on the ground!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #5

Precisely why I homeschool.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Not all schools are bad, not all teachers are bad, not all kids are stupid or bad and not all parents are bad. I think our American society as a whole does not value education and intelligence. The media certainly does not help. There are numerous shows on TV that seem to make the less intelligent or less motivated kid the hero. Although I believe that a well rounded education is essential, our American society seems to feel that sports are priority and any academic endeavor is secondary. Fortunately our children survived the public school system and have done well for themselves. However they were self motivated AFTER high school. I also believe that large book publishers and school suppliers often have too much influence over the curriculum. Certainly there are numerous issues but these are a few that I find troubling. Our daughters are now 25 and 30, one is an engineer and the others is working on her doctorate.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #7

My biggest gripe with PS is all of the rulings starting to take place finding that once your child is on school property, you have no say in what is taught to them. They can teach them anything no matter how offensive you find it and you can't do anything about it. Here in NC some elementary schools put out a survey to 2nd graders asking them about their "sexual conduct". Asking them if they have touched, been touched, or thought about touching. If they didn't before, they don't now. Bigger than that was that the parents weren't asked ahead of time. Parents had no recourse and the kids, IMO, are now scarred.

They teach evolution and refuse to even add a disclaimer mentioning that not everyone agrees and that the scientific evidence may not fully support it. Or even mention that there is a debate going on. Last time I heard, science was about the research, both for and against your theory. It is a theory and they teach it as fact and refuse to allow any info released that debuncts it.

My secondary peeve is that there are so many kids with 1 underpaid teacher trying to teach a bunch of kids on different levels grouped together solely by age. When I was in school they grouped us by ability as well. Now they say it is not good to do that. So now instead of an advance group, average group, and slow group of 5th graders, you have 3 classes with all of them in it. You have Joe getting left behind because he can't keep up. Sue is doing fine and thinks the class is great. And then there is Casey who is bored to death and now getting into trouble because the class is below level. I can't imagine a teacher being able to reach everyone. I often times find myself overwhelmed meeting the different needs of 5 kids. One wants milk, NOW. One needs help pottying. One needs to be taken to work. One wants to play in the sprinkler. I have to look at them and say "I am one person, you need to wait your turn." Imagine 24 kids all with different needs. Sam needs help with spelling due to dyslexia. Carrie needs help with math because she was sick last week and missed the core concept of fractions. Tom is so bored that he keeps interrupting the science lessons with deeper questions than the teacher knows what to do with. YIKES!

My dd10 is dyslexic and has central auditory processing disorder. I pulled my hair out trying to teach her to read. When she took the Stanford after 2nd grade and was 2.9%tile in reading, I took her to many professionals to be evaluated. Found out the prob. I them was able to tailor(sp?) our classes to her learning style. I read her science and history to her so she could still learn those on level. Her math was advanced. This year, 2 yrs later, she scored at 10th grade level for reading. She just finished 4th grade. Her spelling was only 2nd grade level, but hey, I consider it an accomplishment.

She is now going to a DoD school here on base for this coming school year. I will monitor things closely. I may bring her back home. She is just the type of person who needs to be around a lot of people. (You would think that 4 siblings would be considered a lot. LOL) So, I am making a choice that is best for her. dd15 will also be going to a public hs. It is an elite school of choice public school. They can teach things that I can't. I will still hs the 3 youngest ones until I feel that they would be better served in a traditional school setting. I want to at least know that they have mastered the basics and have a good moral foundation before trusting them to someone else.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #8

I just returned from an interview of a structural engineer for an entrepreneurial program I work with at our local college. He posed an interesting question:

"Why is it that we are educating the next generation of engineers from every other country on earth but we're not turning out engineers of our own of the same quality and in the same numbers?"

The public school system. No, teachers aren't bad, but they're being thrown into a class room with their hands tied behind their backs. They're unable to teach because they spend too much time with Johnny who can't sit still in class. They're prevented from addressing behavioral problems head-on and there are absolutely no consequences when Johnny doesn't sit still and listen. Remember all the law suits from parents in CA when schools tried to expel disruptive students? As for there not being enough money...BS. The United States spends more $1000s per capita than any other country on earth. That dog just will not hunt anymore.

Our education system needs to get back to the basics of reading, writing, arithemtic, science and geography and leave all the politically correct nonsense behind. They need to remember their mission and that is teaching Johnny to read. They should not be spending one minute of their time dealing with the social issues of kids. That's what parents and social services are for. Problems like dyslexia could be addressed faster if teachers could concern themselves only with teaching.

I know, I know, "But the disenfranchised!..." I'm sorry, I do not mean to come across as a hard-nosed person and I would like to see the disenfranchised kids get the help they need. Turning them into productive adults is what's best for everyone but our schools are not the place to do that. Schools should be institutions of learning solely . And right now they're everything but.

Marcia
Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I take a different, more macro view. This thread could have been posted every 20 years throughout recorded time. Every generation learns what is needed to become successful in their time period with the tools available at that time.

The USA has a great future. While the micro view stories can be told, the bottom line is he who pays plays. Look where your retirement savings are invested. If anyone thinks the USA is at risk, their $s should be invested in areas of the world they feel are better for their own future. If your $s are invested in the USA, your confidence in this country is like mine,,,,100%.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW and I both hold degrees in education and I'm permanently certified to teach in PA. You couldn't drag me back into a class room now. Why?
1. Educational strategy is run by a bunch of wannabee who are working on D.EDs. There isn't an ounce of proof that their theoretical methods work and, IMHO 90% of them don't. The worst problem is that the curriculum now teaches the answers to standardized tests instead of the basics about the contents on those tests.
2. Educational administrations are weak in the knees. They won't stand up to irate parents, want to remain PC at all times and have all but abdicated the responsibility to evaluate teachers.
3. There are a lot of good teachers who, in spite of the system, manage to get the material covered. Unfortunately, "a lot" in quantity is not nearly enough and there enough bad teachers (poorly prepared, poorly supervised & poorly motivated) that everyone's kid in public school is going to have them
4. 80% of parents have abdicated the raising of their children to the schools and day care. The kids reflect the results. Somehow, making the kids soccer practice schedule on time is way more important than helping those kids with their homework.
5. As a society, we have are in the process of requiring less and less skills in more and more jobs. While there are the few engineering or neurosurgery positions, organizations in general are hiring from the bottom end of pay scale rather than the top of it. Skills are not valued and the result is that the learning process to acquire those skills is not valued either.

I don't share the opinion that this is the same 20 year cycle that our parents went through. We are in a global economy and we are more often than not coming up short in the resulting competition. The educational system is just one of the symptoms.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
chafm11,

You pretty much summed up what the wife has said for years. She taught H.S. Spanish for a few years and decided you have no control of the classroom and spent too much time doing paperwork and no teaching.

We need to get these kids educated to operate in a global enviroment. Cut out the PC and get the got done teaching.

Ken
Old 08-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #12

Wow! My 16 year old just started a new job. She has a 4.2 GPA and has endured years of my constant demand for extra learning. Yet, she doesn't seem to want to think. She has been taught to answer the question (teach to the test). She now understands all the questions (badgering by dad) was to get her to think on her feet. The others at work have little hope if someone doesn't step in soon. Every day she comes home almost crying from laughter about the brain trust at work. If this is the future of USA? We are in deep trouble!!! I believe this has opened her eyes, I was told last night that she was not going to cheer this year just dance, school council, softball and yearbook. Now she has more time too study and tutor others.

Our schools are producing two types of adults. 1. Robots that can answer the questions but don't understand the reason behind it. 2. Adults that can't even answer the question!

I could go on here forever - No Child Left Behind. I work with educators and feel so sorry for them. They spend all their time on trying to teach Johnny (Down syndrome) how to pass the standardized test. Does everyone understand that the goal of our education system is to have every child graduate, no what a minute, pass a test set by the government. That is every child, no matter what their abilities are. Mentally handicapped children are taken into account for the teachers score. Put yourself in a room of 20+ (30) children and which one will take the most time- disruptive, slow? Should it not be the ones that have the desire and skills to go on and be our next Newton or Einstein? The USA will be a country full of min. wage workers working for a Chinese or Japanese company.

I hope someone that has money (politicians) see this very quickly and puts the brakes on it. We need help yesterday!! Next time you speak to a recently retired teacher, just ask why they are retired, I know!! They are now longer allowed to teach just supply answers. I don't have the answers to the problem but I have ideas (more then today's kids).

I am stopping now.

PS. If you know a teacher call them and thank them! They are still trying!!!

Any misspelling or grammar problems are not my fault, the stupid spell checker broke.

2004 F-250 crew cab 6.0
teenagersintow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
chasfm11, you are correct that we are in a global economy. This is why I have a very positive view of the future of the USA. Please
consider reading the following books:
The World Is Flat
The Lexus and The Olive Tree
both are by Thomas L. Friedman. The World Is Flat should make you smile. It is an economic view of 1st vs. 3rd world and how the two are merging. The Lexus and The Olive Tree covers the religious based vs. business based economies/countries. I encourage anyone who has someone close attending college or a senior in high school to give these books to that person. It will be an eye opener and help them make their choice of career.

For my generation, my children and grand children's generations I have no fear of the USA loosing it's first class status in the world economy.

For the last half of my career (about 15 years) I was responsible for creating, deploying and maintaining Internet commerce (buying
and selling) capability in 35+ countries around the world (all outside the G8) for a Fortune 10 company. I hired, developed, promoted
and fired managers and employees from many different countries. It is sometimes difficult to see history when you are living it. In the
15 years mentioned above, major changes took place at a pace never before seen.

The short story:
I started this adventure with a 100% USA based organization. When I retired (2004) I had no employees in the USA. All the technical skills needed to create, deploy and maintain Internet
commerce capability were sourced to outside the USA. This was my decision. How many USA based employees were no longer employed solely because of the shift in sourcing of work? The answer is 1. Everyone found or was offered a position equal or better than what they had. It was not using the same skill. Each had to morph into the next high paid need. The one person who did not morph was me. I retired. My story is another post, it was a voluntary decision on my part. I don't mind sharing it, I just don't want to get off the subject.

This is why the USA will remain at the top of the food chain for the foreseeable future. The most important attributes are:
1. being able to morph into something better than before
2. a creative imagination. The ability to be the first to figure out what the next latest and greatest widget will be.
3. to be able to use the worldwide collaborative tools available so the next widget will get to market in the shortest amount of time.
4. to be diplomatic in dealings with others. Someone called it PC. I guarantee those who are successful will rely on people of many
different countries, cultures, races and intelligence.

The people of the USA continue to do this far better than any other people on the face of this planet. That's it in a nutshell.

If you want a bit more detail on how the global economy became so prevalent in such a short time, read on.
The long story is:
1. The fall of the Soviet Union, India becoming a more open Democracy, Pakistan moving more toward open trade and China moving toward a market economy and beginning to consume more
raw materials than the USA. While the USA encouraged this to happen, another result was it brought about 150 million highly ted/skilled people into the world job market. It brought
another 1.5 billion people into the lower level job market. It also brought about 1.5 billion people into the world marketplace as
consumers. That totals a little over 3 billion people now participating in the world economy that, before 1990 were not there. This is not
done without worldwide consequences.

2. Fiber optic cable was deployed to such an extent it is not possible to foresee how all the capacity can be used. This enabled
telephone rates to drop to record lows. It also enabled skilled workers to be remote from the office. Virtual organizations are now
and will be the normal operating environment.

The USA's ability to be a salad bowl of diverse peoples is unique on this planet. We should participate in and be proud of this.
I hope those reading this forum believe exclusion is bad and inclusion is good. Inclusion does not mean "do it my way".

What this means is that if you want your children and grand children to be able to compete for high paid and exciting jobs, then they must compete on a global level. They must embrace diversity and they must be really good at collaboration. To support this let's stop with the small stuff (micro examples) and keep our eye on the prize. The prize being to ensure the USA remains the number one economic
powerhouse in the world. Maybe we can all agree on that.

Encourage your children and grand children to take the courses that allow them to compete, embrace diversity and excel at collaboration.
Children in third world countries are getting ready to complete with our kids. Let's make sure our children have done what they need to
do to compete successfully.

It used to be we told our kids to clean their plate because children in far away countries are starving. We may now want to change that to.
... Do your home work, the kids in far away countries are doing their's.

Jobs are leaving this country because:
1. We are not competitive enough to keep them.
2. We no longer want those jobs.
Shouldn't we focus on jobs that are at the top of the job food chain?

Each of us wears many hats, sometimes without knowing it. We demand:
1. Low prices.
2. High returns on our investments.
3. High quality of service.
4. Activities that result in positive effects on our environment.
5. keep employees
6. profit for the owner
Each of us may have a conflict of interest with ourselves.

Sometimes it is difficult to see history when you are living in it. Over the last 15 years we have been able to witness a historically
swift change in the fundamentals of how this world will do business forever. Everybody likes their cheap long distance telephone rates?
Did you cheer when the Berlin Wall and Communism (in Europe) collapsed? Did you breath a sigh of relief a few years ago when
India and Pakistan were aiming their nuclear missiles at each other and as if by magic the crisis dissolved into thin air?

Since 1990, the oversupply of installed fiber optic cable has made global telecommunications (data communications) dirt cheap. The
result is all peoples have access to the Internet and the job tools once available only to people in the USA. As mentioned previously, the fall of Communism and the opening of India and China to world trade has brought over 3 billion people into the world job market that were not allowed to compete in 1990. This is not done without consequences. An example of good is that a few years ago when India and Pakistan were making nuclear war talk, CIO's of very large multinational companies, from around the world, independent of each other,
ensured that the Ambassadors from both of these countries understood if there was any instability in their economies' due to war they would leave and not return for a very long time. Both governments looked at what it meant for their high paid (by their standards) engineers and scientists and their Country's future growth and development. Without any additional noise making or headline grabbing, the crisis simply went away.

The current conflict between Israel and the Arab based fighters is another example of how the global economy is working to our advantage. If these events had happened in the last century all the Arab countries would be at war with Israel. To this date, no Arab country has joined the fight. All the major Arab countries have begun their assimilation into the global economy. There are now more important things to consider before making war.

The last time I was in Cairo, I checked into the hotel and my room looked out over the Nile River. When I stepped onto the balcony I saw something that brought tears to my eyes. Directly across the river was an Applebee's restaurant. I stood there in complete amazement and did get emotional. This was not
because I like or dislike Applebee's. It was because at that moment, I realized "it's over". The wars of the past are not going to happen in the future. There has never been a war between two countries that each have McDonalds. Once business and profit become a large part of an economy, war is much harder to make.

If you got this far, I sincerely appreciate your reading this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #14

I can't resist again. eandy, was the misspelling in the title of your thread intentional?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote