RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Admitting Mistakes

Some background. A few weeks ago we returned home and since DW wasn't feeling well I just took out the left over food and few other things. Washed it and took to our storage unit.

Couple of days later I go up to do the cleaning and start a walk-a-round. I spot something black and shinny on the ground and take a closer look. Glass. Looked up and saw that my galley window shattered. No sign of being hit, forced entry, etc.

Get another one ordered and had to get some additional things, finally got back to finish the job yesterday. Open my door and a business card falls out with "call me re window."

My curiosity got to me so I called. My neighbor said "I think I broke your window." He proceeded to tell me what he thinks happened and I can understand how it was possible.

He wanted to pay for it. I said no, thanks for telling me but he insisted. "Ok meet me halfway I got $225 into repair." When we hung up I'm thinking I'm going to forget the conversational and let it slide. Later he texted me wants to know where to send check.

Jon, if you are reading this thanks for admitting your mistake and your truthfulness and honesty. It takes a true gentleman to admit a mistake to a stranger. Even more so in this day and age. Like we said on the phone, Karma.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

Old 04-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Good Karma to own up.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Some background. A few weeks ago we returned home and since DW wasn't feeling well I just took out the left over food and few other things. Washed it and took to our storage unit.

Couple of days later I go up to do the cleaning and start a walk-a-round. I spot something black and shinny on the ground and take a closer look. Glass. Looked up and saw that my galley window shattered. No sign of being hit, forced entry, etc.

Get another one ordered and had to get some additional things, finally got back to finish the job yesterday. Open my door and a business card falls out with "call me re window."

My curiosity got to me so I called. My neighbor said "I think I broke your window." He proceeded to tell me what he thinks happened and I can understand how it was possible.

He wanted to pay for it. I said no, thanks for telling me but he insisted. "Ok meet me halfway I got $225 into repair." When we hung up I'm thinking I'm going to forget the conversational and let it slide. Later he texted me wants to know where to send check.

Jon, if you are reading this thanks for admitting your mistake and your truthfulness and honesty. It takes a true gentleman to admit a mistake to a stranger. Even more so in this day and age. Like we said on the phone, Karma.

Character is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Skippy.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

Rare case of honesty these days...both of you seem like really good people.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #7

That is the way it should be!! Years ago I backed into a car parked in the Condo lot. I just barely touched it with the trailer hitch, no dent, just a scratch and not a bad one for a 15 year old car. Well the women took it to the highest priced place in town and had the whole bumper repainted and gave me the bill for $550. It is no wonder why people don't leave a note or admit wrong. I would still admit hitting someone to this day. I would say that if it were the other way around I would not take the person to the cleaner.
gmc70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We all need neighbors like that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Character is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching.
Right on.

But, God's watchin'.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

I'm just curious as to how it got broke since he sort-of admitted to it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hittin' golf balls?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I'm just curious as to how it got broke since he sort-of admitted to it.
Scott
My storage is a pole barn with 9 spaces at a private location. He was backing his trailer in and it was a bright day. We all know how when the back end goes into the shade and even with the marker lights on everything just vanishes.

He caught sight that he was coming in crooked and pulled back forward. He figures that the rain gutter downspout hit the glass. No other damage to me or his trailer. He is in the habit of doing a walk-a-round after parking, as I am, and noticed the glass on the ground then saw the window shattered. He said it took some time to figure out the downspout hit the window.

If he would have gone another inch it would have been into the fiberglass. When I took the window out it did look like it had been hit/scraped right on the edge of the glass. I kinda looked over his trailer, but finally decided that it likely had been hit at some point and it picked that day to shatter.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
That is the way it should be!! Years ago I backed into a car parked in the Condo lot. I just barely touched it with the trailer hitch, no dent, just a scratch and not a bad one for a 15 year old car. Well the women took it to the highest priced place in town and had the whole bumper repainted and gave me the bill for $550. It is no wonder why people don't leave a note or admit wrong. I would still admit hitting someone to this day. I would say that if it were the other way around I would not take the person to the cleaner.
I'm not sure you got taken to the cleaners on this. I am not aware of any body shop these days that can make a scratch disappear without prepping and painting the whole panel.

Many years ago, I had to have a front bumper on my 2002 Cadillac repainted after my future mother-in-law backed into it, leaving a slight scratch. The body shop told me that the only repair possible to return it to "pre-collision" condition would be a complete bumper repaint. It was also somewhere around $600. Unfortunately, it came out of my pocket, since my now ex-wife didn't want to upset her mother. BTW, her mother drove away after hitting my car, but another person at the family gathering witnessed it, and told me who was responsible.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Every once in a while you meet people who are true gems. Your neighbor sounds like one of them.