Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Advice for future owner

Hi All

Having dreamed of owning an RV for years, I would love some advice as to what I should be looking out for. Was thinking renting one for a few weeks may be a good start as well. Also, what sort of brand, size and gadgets should I be looking for? Naturally would like something reasonably easy to operate....thanks!

tlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
Renting a couple of different RV's should answer a lot of your questions .
But , a lot depends on your intended use , now and in the future.
Are you near retirement and planning to use the RV 4 to 6 months of the year; or is the use for the foreseeable future , weekends and some 2 week holidays. Budget ? Just you and your DW, or are there kids involved in size considerations.
I've had 5 RV's over the past 25 years, each one suited me at the time I owned it.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
It depends on your budget, where you want to travel, how often and how long of a period, how much sleeping space you need. RV's with slides are very popular and give you expanded living area. I can't see spending $200,000 to use 3 weeks out of a year, staying in a high end hotel would be better. DW and myself like our little TT. We enjoy Corps of Engineer campgrounds which for the most part are on or near water, and many are older campgrounds which can not accommodate a large MH. We also like the state parks and again many don't have camp sites for large MHs. Another reason I like the CoE and state parks is that you are more than 10' away from the next RV. If you are looking for resort living then maybe a MH would fit your needs. Being retired I look at the cost of operation. My TV is also the vehicle for everyday use so I only have to pay insurance and license the TV and the TT. I can also use the TV for excursions when at a campground. So for me a TT works great. Many prefer a 5th wheel over a MH if they plan to stay in one place for several days. If they like to keep on the move then a MH may be a better choice. Just browse the Forums and get an idea of what people are using and compare that to what your idea of RVing would be. As they say "different strokes for different folks".
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
If you have any friends or relatives who have an RV talk to them and any friends that the have who wouldn't mind helping you out and showing you what they have. Never go to see an RV at a dealer as they are interested in SELLING you something. Talk to all the folks you can and decide for yourself what is for you and then go shopping.
Take your time and be sure what you think you want is what you really want.
Best of luck to you and welcome aboard IRV2.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote