Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do. But why such a strenuous job?!?!?!

There's always next year.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post

I was thinking about WalMart greeter (really), but they are cutting them out in many stores.
I have noticed that at some of the Wal-Mart's now. It appears that they have given up on the Friendly Wal-Mart Greeters and now have Asset Protection Staff at the entrance/exit's. And in some of them they will check your receipts just like Costco and Sam's Club.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do. But why such a strenuous job?!?!?!

There's always next year.
It really isn't that bad. The first day was instructional, the second day I got thrown in at the deep end, and man what a day. They told me it is rare to have a tough day like that, due to the type of concrete pour that day. Since then it is really pretty easy. I will carry on through the summer and build up my travel account, and then back to retirement. I retired at 60 and made it three years before I ran out of retirement busy.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #18

work is a dirty filthy word and i"m suprized the moderators allow it on this web site.
I quite 25 years ago and never looked back.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
It really isn't that bad. The first day was instructional, the second day I got thrown in at the deep end, and man what a day. They told me it is rare to have a tough day like that, due to the type of concrete pour that day. Since then it is really pretty easy. I will carry on through the summer and build up my travel account, and then back to retirement. I retired at 60 and made it three years before I ran out of retirement busy.
I take it all back!! Work sucks, 2 more weeks and back to retirement. What was I thinking.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
work is a dirty filthy word and i"m suprized the moderators allow it on this web site.
I quite 25 years ago and never looked back.
Maynard G Krebs ( Bob Denver AKA Gilligan) of the Dobie Gillis Show would be proud of you! I can still here him painfully say "Woooork!"
Glad you were able to retire when you were able to. However, many of us ( myself included) still need to toil away for a few more years yet.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Update! Tomorrow is my last day. Back to retirement. Big plus is we sold our sticks and bricks that we have been trying to sell for 3 years.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 31 years as an industrial laundry driver,I retired at 58 and then drove school bus for another 10.Retired again and then after 2 years off went back to the school bus as a substitute and worked all this year. Nice thing about being a sub is that I don't have to work unless I want to.They usually only call me for afternoon routes,1:30 till 4:30.If I'm going on a trip,all I have to do is to say I'm gonna be gone for a few days. I'm working enuff every month to buy fuel and pay for some campground fees.I find that I'm a little looser with the kids now too and I remember why I retired when I get the elementary kids on the bus.Keeps me young tho.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankandMike View Post
While camping this weekend I met a retired gentleman and his wife that are working for a security company where they park their RV at the entrance to drilling sites here in Texas. Their job is to log each person/truck that enters and leaves the location. I believe they said they're paid $150 per day (roughly $4,500 per month). They stated that with the oil and gas boom here in Texas that they are needing to fill many of these positions. They are provided all the resources for their RV (a generator and fuel, a large water tank for fresh water, propane, septic tank, security lights, etc.). They work roughly 6 - 8 months to accumulate funds and then take off the other months to have vacation. Could be an interesting thing for consideration.
One thing about it is that you're "tied down" 24 hours a day as someone has to be up all the time. If my wife didn't earn so much and like to sleep so much, then maybe!!! But then, having a 12 yr old grandson to raise would cause a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #24

Cool

Don't have time to go back to work. Example = just spent three days doing fire mitagation, that is, cutting down trees, collecting dead limbs and chipping all that up in 96 degree weather with 11 % humidity. It is dangerious here in the high country of Colorado. Don't even have time for the banjo or practicing with my new Traveler guitar!
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote