Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Again RV saves the day

Once again the 95 Europa Class A saves the day !!! We have traveled several thousand miles out in the middle of nowhere,, and it has always brought us home.. We have been without power here today for a few hours... Heard a boom across the hollar, and power went out... Our little 4K genny wouldn't start, so I pulled the rv out of the garage, fired up the 4K Onan, ran an extension cord inside the house, and we have a couple lights, charging my phone and lap top,, etc... It will run the propane furnace in the house if needed,,, or we'll just go "camping" in the driveway... A RV has many uses,,,, I LOVE IT !!!!!

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use ours as a spare living quarters when we have a lot of overnignt visitors. My wife and I just move to the motorhome, and turn the house over the visitors. We had a real house full for a few days this past July 4th, two daughters, two SIL's, and four grand children. Worked out real well, and the house survived a three day stay by them without damage!!!!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added a 30 amp twist lock outlet in one of my storage bays (And a couple of 30 amp TT30 pigtail outlets too.)

Proper generator transfer panel with 30 amp twist lock inlet on house.. Matching extension cord.. Yup, very nice.

Came home, Frosty the air-blown snowman sleeping on job (So you know it's cold) went down to chilly basement and got cord, back up and plug oultlet onto inlet. Uncoil to RV, Plug plug into outlet, Inside, get Gen-Turi, install (Well the adapter is already installed) push buttons, confirm back to house and CLICK lights, CLICK Furnace

More clicks brought up the Fridge, Freezer, TVs and Computers and additional lighting.

Cost of all this work, around 500 bucks (Over and above the motor home) Warm wife... Priceless.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

When we put our MH away for the winter, it is still available for use as our emergency shelter. While there is not anything in it that can freeze, there is extra cloths, dry food and most anything that we might need. The propane tank is full and I wait until #1 diesel comes out to top off the fuel tank. It is always nice to know that we have an 8k generator on stand-by if needed. One never knows when things can go bad.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
When we put our MH away for the winter, it is still available for use as our emergency shelter. While there is not anything in it that can freeze, there is extra cloths, dry food and most anything that we might need. The propane tank is full and I wait until #1 diesel comes out to top off the fuel tank. It is always nice to know that we have an 8k generator on stand-by if needed. One never knows when things can go bad.
Me too. all tanks full & ready too go. I haven't slept in the S&B since June, I guess its a addiction thing!!!!
PS Please keep the white stuff in the Dakotas
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Is there a hose or such that would route genny exhaust outside the garage ? I mean I'm sure there is,,, like fire stations have only smaller... Any cheap way to do that ??? A Genturi wouldn't get it out of the shop (garage) ... Idea's???
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Would there be a problem to just back it out of the garage to be real safe ?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Would there be a problem to just back it out of the garage to be real safe ?
No,,, except when the ice storms hit here,,, just wondering,,, We'd still be in the S&B,, just using the genny,,, with an extension cord to run a few things in the house... No way would we stay in the RV with things running in the garage,,,,, Just didn't want the fumes inside the rv....And I like keeping the rv inside now we have a garage for it... I'll work on our extra little genny next weekend... I'm sure it's that junk they call gas now days..... It saved us running almost 4 days straight 3-4 years ago....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
AC went out last summer at the S&B so we moved MH over in the drive for the week it took to have AC replaced.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ize=1296%2C864
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #10

We came home from a 10-day Alaska trip to find the A/C was not working, and it was 84 inside. We called our A/C guy. He was suffering from food poisoning, and couldn't come help us. We spent 2 nights in our TT.
Sure is nice to have your own hotel room parked right outside our back door!
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeej View Post
We came home from a 10-day Alaska trip to find the A/C was not working, and it was 84 inside. We called our A/C guy. He was suffering from food poisoning, and couldn't come help us. We spent 2 nights in our TT.
Sure is nice to have your own hotel room parked right outside our back door!

I agree, and the nightly rate is reasonable also!