Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #1

aging....not so gracefully

It seems like every year when my birthday rolls around my body reminds me that I'm getting older. I've been on a run for about the last 10+ years of being sick or injured on my birthday. This year is proving to be no different.
I'm only 44 so I'm not what I would consider "old" by any means. I normally don't feel old and darn sure don't act it.
I turn 45 on Friday and tonight got a reminder that it's my birthday week. I was in the yard kicking the soccer ball around with my daughter since her first game for the fall league is tomorrow. Just working on some things with her but mostly just spending time in the yard with the kids. My son's (12 and 2) were also out there with us and joined in.
I was going against my older son showing my daughter how to get the ball around him and as I took off after the ball I felt and heard a loud "pop" in my leg and at first I thought my 2 year old had come up behind me and hit me with a stick or something....yes...that's a valid concern with him. Pretty sure I tore a muscle in my calf. Looks like I'll be limped up for this birthday once again. I'll power through it though and get to my daughter's game tomorrow one way or the other. I really enjoy watching her play even though I've never really cared for soccer or even know all the rules. She loves it and that's good enough for me....she also enjoys having me there so I'll be there. Just might be a long walk from the car to the field.

Wonder what I'll hurt, rip, or tear next year?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy Birthday!

Never regret growing old, it is a privilege denied to many.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

I don't regret it....just wished it wasn't always so painful. I guess I'm getting to the age where you start realizing the things you used to be able to do and took for granted that you can no longer do....or shouldn't. I had another realization about 2 weeks ago.
My brother gave me a pair of my dad's old reading glasses that he found in a tote. As a joke, and to look like dad, I tossed them on the end of my nose and grabbed a paper. I was blown away with how much better I saw with them on haha....evidently I'm almost blind. haha I've taken to wearing them pretty regularly now when reading.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Happy Birthday!

Never regret growing old, it is a privilege denied to many.
Isn't that the truth!
Wife is 67 and has liver cancer, may not make it till December for her 68th!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm now past the 70 mark, and if I get to feeling old, I look at the Wounded Warrior's and think that "there but for the grace of God" or maybe I could be dead. Sure is better than that alternative that lasts a whole lot longer. Beside no one ever said it would be easy getting to be a senior...... You have a long time to go my friend, (I hope) so enjoy the ride.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What's that saying "Getting old is not for wimps!"? Sure seems to apply the older I get, too. But the alternative is pushing up daisies, so I'll tough it out on this side of the soil.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

My dad in his declining health and increasing pain would tell me "son any day I wake up and see the grass and not the roots, by God it is going to be a great day".
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

I am 70, almost 71. I have bladder, colon, liver, prostrate, lung, and skin cancer. Mostly minor issues except for the liver. Now it seems the chemo is killing me faster than the cancer, so no more chemo. The point is, with all this going on, I have lost a lot of"get up and go". This all started when I was 64, and still very active. I would walk 4 miles in the morning to have coffee with "The Village Elders". I could work all day.

Now, I can walk a mile or two, maybe work two hours before I am toast. I sleep a lot at night, and take naps when I can. I just wonder how things would be if I hadn't spent the last 5 years on chemo. Maybe the same, maybe not. Just wish I had a bit more energy to get done what I need to get done. Percacet helps, but running out of that stuff shortly.

Ken Gasbarri

Oh, and I haven't played basketball with the girls in many years. They no longer agree that I get 4 points a basket, don't have to dribble all the time, and can take time outs anytime I want. Mean, Mean Girls
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post

Ken Gasbarri

Oh, and I haven't played basketball with the girls in many years. They no longer agree that I get 4 points a basket, don't have to dribble all the time, and can take time outs anytime I want. Mean, Mean Girls
We all dribble more as we age.

Glenn
Old 08-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
We all dribble more as we age.

Glenn
Not me!! Due to the MS that's been a problem since I was 25 and I'm 68 now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
I am 70, almost 71. I have bladder, colon, liver, prostrate, lung, and skin cancer. Mostly minor issues except for the liver. Now it seems the chemo is killing me faster than the cancer, so no more chemo. The point is, with all this going on, I have lost a lot of"get up and go". This all started when I was 64, and still very active. I would walk 4 miles in the morning to have coffee with "The Village Elders". I could work all day.

Now, I can walk a mile or two, maybe work two hours before I am toast. I sleep a lot at night, and take naps when I can. I just wonder how things would be if I hadn't spent the last 5 years on chemo. Maybe the same, maybe not. Just wish I had a bit more energy to get done what I need to get done. Percacet helps, but running out of that stuff shortly.

Ken Gasbarri

maybe that's what I need.....a rules adjustment. I will definitely be just doing "walk throughs" with her for a while. Tonight at the dinner table as I was limping over to sit down she said "dad....pretty sure I can beat you now." I laughed and told her to get her ball and piggy bank.......she decided against it.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
A few months back a friend from High School past from cancer. He had just turned 60. MIL passed on the 15th from Lung Cancer, she was 64. I am glad for every day as we never know when that day will come.
Take care everyone, Safe and happy travelin.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes you have to take what life gives you, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't make the most of it. I'm 60 and my DW is 59. We just finished our typical weekend bike ride. 50 miles with a stop for beer and lunch. I have a herniated disk and she has 5 fused lumbar vertebrae. It doesn't stop us. It's when you throw in the towel that you really do become old. BTW I would love to be 45 again.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, every month, not every b-day reminds me, but I'm WEIGH past FORTY-FIVE !?!?
I'll trade you in a New York Second !!!!

I was still playing fairly competitive ball over 55, and daring the kids hotshot teammates to cover more ground then me in a sprint - I just had to ice both knees afterwards

Sounds like you got the old 'weekend athlete' syndrome - don't warm up or stretch it out before and after,
so when you ask 'it' to do something, you surprise it and it fights back....

Just like any muscle (including our brains) if you don't regularly push them just past what they are used to, what they are used to gets lower and lower !
take care and stretch it a bit more or the kids will think you ARE old

(OH, and wish I could be like my late father-in-law.... we called him the every ready bunny ! I recall when he was 85, we had a project and he would start first, never stop, finish last and take 25% of the breaks we all did!)

Tags
ace