Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #15

We worked 2 seasons in Juneau, AK. Our jumping off point for northern roads was Great Falls, MT. Since, we were on our way for seasonal work, we moved quickly thru Canada & the Yukon. We took 5 days to get to Skagway. We took the ferry out of Skagway south to Juneau - as no roads lead to Juneau. We spent 2 glorious yet rainy tourist seasons in Juneau. And we saw every type of RV come through - from motorcycles pulling teeny tiny trailers; tents; old VW campers; unusual green campers; school bus conversions; and of course the mega diesel pushers.
If you've taken care of your rig - then head north to the 49th state, the land of the midnight sun. Be careful, you'll realize you didn't see all you wanted to see and you will be planning your next trip before you've even made it home from the 1st trip.
Safe travels.

3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #16

All I have to add to this thread is that over the years I've found that any spare part I carry with me will never go bad. Any spare parts I leave at home will go bad for me when I'm in a inconvenient spot.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catstravel View Post
We worked 2 seasons in Juneau, AK. Our jumping off point for northern roads was Great Falls, MT. Since, we were on our way for seasonal work, we moved quickly thru Canada & the Yukon. We took 5 days to get to Skagway. We took the ferry out of Skagway south to Juneau - as no roads lead to Juneau. We spent 2 glorious yet rainy tourist seasons in Juneau. And we saw every type of RV come through - from motorcycles pulling teeny tiny trailers; tents; old VW campers; unusual green campers; school bus conversions; and of course the mega diesel pushers.
If you've taken care of your rig - then head north to the 49th state, the land of the midnight sun. Be careful, you'll realize you didn't see all you wanted to see and you will be planning your next trip before you've even made it home from the 1st trip.
Safe travels.
"no roads in Juneau", "spent 2 seasons" "Andsaw every type of RV come through". I'm thoroughly confused, how did the RV's get to Juneau?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #18

I came by a picture that shows for of the many road repairs on the ALCAN last year. This was in early April when road crews are working hard to repair winter road damages.

Slow down and enjoy the view,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4058.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	51644  
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Hey all was hoping to get some opinions and advise we own a 1995 Brave with 50k miles on it just gave it a full tune up with hoses and belts etc. we would love to take a trip from Vancouver up to Alaska but am I nuts to do it an older rig? Has anyone else done it ? What do all think?
Flush your brake system with fresh fluid. You don't say you did, if it has old fluid in the system you could lose your brakes on a long down grade.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I came by a picture that shows for of the many road repairs on the ALCAN last year. This was in early April when road crews are working hard to repair winter road damages.

Slow down and enjoy the view,
We drove several sections like that on the Alcan, in July and August. One of those broke a spring on our 5er. Well...actually that is a lie, I broke the spring because I was driving too fast when I hit a frost heave.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #21

We made the trip this past summer.
The most costly fuel was near Liard Hot Springs (near $6.00 gal) other areas
not much different than you're paying.
Plan on going slow on Alaskan Highway especially in the Yukon Ter.
I got a grill screen from Cabelas to protect the radiator from rocks.
Carried some extra fuel, oil, trans mission fluid, one ea. turn signal and tail/brake light bulbs and coolant.
two spares for the trailer, one for the truck.
Go and enjoy the trip, it really is the trip of a lifetime.
Milt
Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #22

Before we went up to Alaska, I went to Les Schwab and bought 3 used tires. Each had more than half tread. I tied them to the top of the RV. I used everyone of them. Tires cost a bundle up there.