Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Alaska in an older Motorhome?

Hey all was hoping to get some opinions and advise we own a 1995 Brave with 50k miles on it just gave it a full tune up with hoses and belts etc. we would love to take a trip from Vancouver up to Alaska but am I nuts to do it an older rig? Has anyone else done it ? What do all think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
If all the bits and pieces are working why not? I drove from New Brunswick to Alberts in the winter in 4 days... got in just in time for Christmas ...drove a 1992 Cheval ... absolutely no problems, and that was through 2 bad blizzards.

I wouldn't go this week it is colder than cold up there right now, wait for the cold front to pass, much nicer.
Maybe you are thinking more in the summer?? I would definitely go then, it is quite beautiful and no cold!!

But that is just me... I am sure more experienced travelers will have other opinions.. I say why not??

Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

We drove to AK last year, and saw many older MH's and towable rigs. You've replaced the essential stuff, did you replace the belt idler pulleys too? Brakes in good shape? Take your time, speed kills is the old saying, in this case your MH. Depending on your routes you will encounter some steep downgrades, practice downshifting to preserve your brakes.
If you haven't already, buy a Milepost guide and both of you learn how to use it. It's awkward at first, but with practice it becomes a great driving, sightseeing guide.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ya know, you might be able to sell it up there for more money that you would get down here. LOL. You should be fine. The roads are good all the way up through BC, the Yukon and beyond. Besides the ever present road repair crews, it should present no problem. If your rig is mechanically sound and well maintained as yours sounds, there should be nothing to worry about. Make sure you have the RV Package from BCAA however just on the off chance you may require a tow.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

We see a fair amount of 'older' MH's all the time. As long as you have things in good working order, take your time and have GOOD tires, thing should be OK. While most of the main roads are paved, the pavement is not the best. The other thing is to make sure that you know how to make 'minor' repairs and have some spare parts with you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing and any more questions.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

In 2006 I drove my 1991 Safari Trek to Alaska and had no problems (unlike the other two newer RV's)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Well I will definatly be making the trek in the summer time I am a pretty tough guy but my 2 daughters and wife don't admire the cold all too much! But a trip like this is a once in a lifetime experience and requires some saving.
In way of extra parts what will be best, belts hoses, lights, I've heard if guys carrying 2 spares? Anything else you can suggest?
We are paying about 4.50 equivelant a gallon here in Vancouver what kind of fuel prices were people experiencing last year?
Oh so much to think about!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

I would personally drive an older MH there rather than a New !
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #9

re: spare tires; I carried 1 mounted spare for the truck and 1 for the 5er. Never had a tire problem the entire trip. I would carry 1 spare for the MH though, some of the small towns do not even have a tire shop.
When you replaced the hoses, did you replace heater hoses too? I carried 2 rolls of "rescue tape" just in case a hose developed a leak, never needed them.
The only problem I had was a broken spring on the 5er, which took 3 days and flown-in parts to repair/replace the spring and brake drum/bearings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

I forgot to say, there were 12 rigs in the caravan, 6 MH's, 1 truck camper, 1 tt, and 4 5ers. Only the TT had a flat tire.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I would personally drive an older MH there rather than a New !
I agree with this proud SPARTAN. We did it in a 1990 Safari in 2009 and it was great. The previous owner had done the same trip about 2005.
As for once in a lifetime. I had that thought also but am now planning a return trip in a couple of years, in a 1996 MH.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Could I do it in 2-3 weeks from Vancouver?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Could I do it in 2-3 weeks from Vancouver?
What, drive from Vancouver to AK and back? Sure drive to the AK border check point, turn around and drive back. From Vancouver to AK is about 6-8 days traveling-at a reasonable speed for the Alaska highway.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless things have dramatically changed for the worse, 10 years ago the Alaska Highway was paved all the way. DO watch for frost heaves - breaks in the pavement - they can cause damage. They typically are flagged in sufficient time to allow you to slow down.

We moved from Homer, Alaska, to southwest Colorado, and the drive took 10 days at about 375 miles a day. You could make the trip comfortably in 3 weeks as well as see lots of country. As you know, Alaska is BIG and it takes time to see it. Consider driving to Fairbanks, then down to Anchorage, and if you have time, south to Homer, then turn around, 'cause you'll be at the end of the road. My sister-in-law told us gas was $3.92 a gallon in Homer as of today.

And, be sure to get a copy of The Milepost - invaluable in the northland!

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

It's a great experience - enjoy!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote