Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
All these drug commercials!

They are spending a ton of money on advertising.

How can they possibly be providing a return on the cost?

Anyone else getting sick & tired of them?

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
what scares me is when they get to the drug side effects ----ya right, its worse then what your takeing them for

bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not surprising that we're seeing a lot of drug ads, considering that the population is aging.

I just joined AMAC to see what price I can get for health insurance since I am retiring in February.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To preface my remarks; Yes I know about free speech. These commercials are nothing but a way to drive consumer confidence in a product. I really dislike these commercials and I think they are health hazards. So many of these conditions can be controlled by lifestyle.
These commercials tell us that we can continue to eat and drink what we want, ingest dangerous substances because we feel unattractive with our condition. We are led to believe chronic pain can be alleviated with drugs rather than diet and exercise.

They no longer allow cigarettes and hard alcohol to be advertised on major "free" networks but allow these equally dangerous drugs to be pimped on our airways.

Boycott these stations, and tell the station management you are doing it.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

Actually drug commercials don't bother me at all! Of course, we haven't had cable and don't watch TV except for the occasional trip were we don't take the coach and stay in hotels! I often flip through the 674 odd channels offered at the hotel, my wife and I look at each other, and one of generally says, "Yep, that's why we don't have cable TV!" And then we both pick up the latest books we're reading . . . . Or if we do use the TV, we pop in a DvD. . . . .
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post

They typically spend a billion or more bringing a new drug onto the market. Having a 50 or 100 million dollar advertising campaign is 1/10th of the total cost so it's really very little to them cost-wise.

And I agree, those ads drive me nuts, that's why TV remotes are useful!!!
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
Man anytime the time spent on the side effects is longer than the body of the commercial I just shake my head. I especially like the one that warns of a black greasy discharge. Holy crap! Why would anyone put that stuff into their body?
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
And they are promoted to the senior population using cartoon characters!
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We gave up commercial TV two years ago, in part because of all the commercials, of which a high percentage were for drug manufacturers. I also feel most programming on todays network television is an insult to my intellegence as an adult human being. (Rant over).
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use a DVR on Direct TV and record EVERYTHING we watch! We NEVER watch anything live! That way, we can fast forward through the commercials!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
The thing that bothers me about all the drug commercials are all the lawyer commercials wanting you to call them if you have had a bad problem with such and such drug so you can sue them only to realize these were the drugs being advertised 5-10 years ago. I guess you could call the lawyer commercials an unlisted side effect.
Glen and Cheryl
99 Monaco Diplomat 38A
2012 Jeep Liberty
PepaGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post

I really hate talking politics but just now what I am about to type is both FACT, and thus presented without comment, and a political hot potato. Which Ill let sit.

There is a drug,, Alas at the moment the name is not on my fingertips. It treats a life threatening (Read that very deadly) disease (I believe it's the flesh eating bacteria but please do not quote me on that) only effective treatment if I'm not mistaken.

The company that came up with it sold the pills at around 35 bucks a dose (this is rounded slightly)

Well they sold it to a big pharmicuatal house which promptly raised the price to well over SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS A dose. (Ok I will make a comment, a couple of politicans are talking about this as a campaign point.. I won't name them though).

There has been so much hollering that a Compunding Pharmacy out west has found a way to produce more or less the same drug (Same active ingreadent, Different filler, from what I understand) should be equally effective,, They plan on selling a bottle of 100 tablets for $99.00.

And they claim they will make a profit.

So how how does this answer your question?

When you are making like 3,500 to 70,000 percent profit on a pill.. you can afford a whole lot of advertising.

Another company makes a product I use.. I pay around 40 to 50 bucks for a vial of 50.. Folks who work for the company get 'em for like ten bucks. And the company is likely making a profit at that price.

Now.. to be honest.. There may be legit reasons for that markup (10 to fifty) But still.. just a few sales pay for a lot of ads.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
i like some of (all) the car commercials ,ya lets race a school bus to school =nission or any of them really ,handles anything ,(for most of the SUV+truck ) as they show it going thru maybe 1-1/2 of (mud-snow ) handles corners great ,ya right when was the last time YOU had 10miles of wide open road in front of you to fool around with ,i wish the insurance companys would do what they did in the late 60s-early 70s , wait how much HP do you have (ohh sorry that rate is in the OTHER book ) they killed the HI performace car back then
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
it's the insurance co.getting raped.

Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote