Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #1

Almost "FREE" Breakfast at Flying J...

It would be interesting to see how many folk chase after this ploy.
Flying J has a coupon on the net (
RV Freebies: "Almost" free breakfast at Flying J) for a breakfast and coffee for only a buck! Of course it's "only at 'participating' stores.
I'm not about to run around to find one that does. Back when I had their 'discount card' the one that was in my path the most didn't accept them. Something about it not being a 'corporate store'.

No more FJ's for me.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #2

Let's see, fill up at FJ and pay about $40 more than you would have had you filled up elsewhere and for this privilege they will give you a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich for a $1. Ah, No!
While I always traveled FJ to FJ before the Pilot take over I now only visit "the J" out of desperation.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the non-company stores still give a 10% discount to seniors (you have to ask, they can’t offer) at company stores you must be a card carrying member of AARP to be old enough.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParTheCourse View Post
Some of the non-company stores still give a 10% discount to seniors (you have to ask, they can’t offer) at company stores you must be a card carrying member of AARP to be old enough.
There you go. Get a $10 breakfast for $9
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Let's see, fill up at FJ and pay about $40 more than you would have had you filled up elsewhere and for this privilege they will give you a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich for a $1. Ah, No!
While I always traveled FJ to FJ before the Pilot take over I now only visit "the J" out of desperation.
Last time I filled up at a "J" the price was 3.52/gal (Regular Unleaded) minus 2 cents for having the card so it was 3.50

The Pilot was the same price (Across the street) which makes absolute sense. (Save for the across the street part)

Next exit going down the road it was, as I recall, 3.76 (I might add that applied in both directions)

So how do you Figure "paid #40 dollars more than you would have had you filled up elsewhere"

Now, I do admit.. I GOT LUCKY.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #6

A member here sent me a PM questioning my math so I will make a clarification here for him as he could not seem to get to my numbers to work.
I have a 208 gallon fuel tank. I have often found fuel for around .20/gallon cheaper than Flying J. Our last fill-up was in Springfield, IL at a Road Ranger station at $3.75/gallon. The Flying J in the same town was $3.93/gallon. That's nearly $40 had I made the mistake of stopping at the J instead of checking around. I used to be a big fan of FJ (including their Cookery restaurants which are now nearly all gone) but they simply no longer provide enough of an advantage to "me" to make the stop-over a given as it used to be in the past.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Amen!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

What's interesting is that it's regional; out here in California, the Pilots and Flying J's typically have the lowest prices around!

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes I agree it is regional but it does vary quite a bit even in the same state. Just last Monday I saw Flying J prices on I-5 in California range from $3.59 to, if I recall $4.09 within a few hundred miles on I-5 in California.

Naturally I stopped at the $3.59 ($3.57 with Flying J card) ($3.41 with Flying J and Pentagon Federal Visa cards)
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Bill Adams about the "J" and Pilot having higher prices then the other Fuel stops around the Country, but that was when Pilot first took over "J" so they could pay down all the monies the "J" owed.
Now, what Bill has going for him is he knows where the off the Highway fuel stops are and being a business man he tries to save as much money as he can, so he makes more of a profit, can blame him for that, but myself like many others are traveling from one location to another and do not want to go looking for the out of the way fuel stops.
Over the past year the "J" and pilot's prices have come down to about the same or less than the other fuel stops.
During the higher price time did we go to other fuel stops, I think maybe 2 times and found those stops not to be RV friendly, so it was back to the "J".
Never during that time did we pay more than 6-8 cents more a gallon minus the discount. We try not to have to put in 60-70 gallons of diesel and fill up once per day and than spent the night. So if I payed 8 cents more per gal, times 70 gallons, it caused us $5.60 to spent the night at the "J".
We travel about 10-11
months a year and try to spent no more than 1-2 weeks in any 1 location and than move to another location no more than 250-350 miles away.
If I had to put in as much as Bill does, 150-165 gallons at a pop [that is
70-80 % of 200 gallons of fuel] I would also look for cheaper Diesel prices.
Bill will look for you at a RV Show somewhere around the Country and say Hello.
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote