Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I have wondered over the last few years about many things like this.

Why do they charge so much to go to baseball games, hockey games, basketball games? Why do they pay hockey players, baseball players, basketball players and movie stars so much? Why do cars cost so much, RV so much, etc???

Especially why are CEO's paid so much? Because they charge you $12 for a drink and a small popcorn.

We can vote with our dollars and that is what many are doing. Unfortunately marketing has in many cases overcome common sense. Folks will line up for the latest cell phone especially if the case is a new color!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikorge View Post
Go to one of the Matenee times and don't visit the Snack Bar and bring your own bottle of water and enjoy the movie.
THIS ^^^^

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #17

Went to the movies for the first time in like 10 years and was blown away on the price. Usally just do Red Box thing when it comes out on DVD. But my nieces were in town to visit and wanted to go see In Side Out, so I took them. 28 bucks for 4 matinee tickets, 22 for 2 large popcorns and 2 large drinks, wow about 50 bucks to take 3 kids to the movies

I kept thinking I could have put that in my Dutch Star fund and be way more happerier, but then after the movie they all hugged me and said "Thanks Aunt Jennifer your our favorit" it melted me. That kinda made the cost a bit easyer to deal with, and it was a really good movie. But still thats too much for my blood, not going again thats for sure.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Call me a tightwad, I don't care. There ain't NO WAY I'm gonna pay those prices! Maybe that's why I haven't been to a movie in 20 years!
Has not been quite that long for me 2006 I think,, but...

Had to do some searching for this video but..hey..I have met these guys.. They are funny.. and they often sing with a group of ladies that will have you rolling on floor laughing as well.

CAUTION: some of their music you should not listen to for the first time when driving (Danger of rolling on floor of vehicle and loosing control and that would not be a laughing matter)

Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #19

Nope, not doing it. Why pay those kinda prices just to have inconsiderate people around that are yakking at each other or have their cell phones going off or the real winner: kids running around or screaming or babies crying.

Besides, much rather read even a bad book than the junk produced these days.

Last movie I went to see was The Search for Spock, that was in Garmisch, GE. You could get great German beer at the concession stand. Course you could get beer at McDonald's as well. LOL
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went to see San Andreas yesterday for the 2:15 matinee screening and the admission for two was $7.25 each. Not too bad.

Then we went to the concession stand and bought the munchies, which socked us at $27.29.

The bulk of it was the Combo 4, which consisted of a 17 oz. popcorn (the thing was huge and we took the majority of it home), nacho cheese chips, 44 oz. drink, extra jalapenos ($.25). All that was $18.45.

My drink was 22 oz. for 4.50. I got a hot dog for $1.00.

Theaters have to share the movie ticket revenue with the studio. Where they make their money is the refreshment stand.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That San Andreas was worth the admission at any price. Close to the best special effects I've ever seen. Totally enjoyed it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Took the grandson to see the movie "MAX". He wanted a small popcorn and small soda.
$12 for those two items....What The????

I don't mind spending $$ on the RV, but this is gouging.....

Dan
For the grandson...worth every penny. (Memories of his grandpa someday.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That San Andreas was worth the admission at any price. Close to the best special effects I've ever seen. Totally enjoyed it.
I gave it a B.

The best movie I've seen all year (so far) was Love & Mercy (Brian Wilson docudrama) and the worst was the Poltergeist remake.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I gave it a B.

The best movie I've seen all year (so far) was Love & Mercy (Brian Wilson docudrama) and the worst was the Poltergeist remake.

I was referring to special effects. I wouldn't think the Brian Wilson docudrama had much of those

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #25

I haven't been in a theater since when I used to operate the projector. If you look around you won't even see a popcorn popper in the building. They get in in bulk bags, not exactly fresh. I don't think there are any movies that make me want to spend $50 to watch it and the trailers for 1 1/2 hours. I'll wait for to come out on DVD.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #26

Pro sports is for rich people anymore.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reading this thread after returning from the theater to watch Self/less with Ben Kingsley and Ryan Reynolds this Friday night!

I'll admit it, I'm spoiled when it comes to watching movies. I have grown up in the Los Angeles metro area, minutes away from Hollywood, and with access to the finest movie theaters in the world.

I frequent discount theater chains and join their "clubs" to get their membership cards, and always load their apps onto my smartphone for deals and free movie ticket and concession stand stuff.

My kids and I also very regularly enjoy watching advance screenings for free, (just fill in a survey form after the movie), and they give free movie passes for attending.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #28

It's funny how we grip and complain about pricing but don't blink an eye to pay big bucks for what WE LIKE.
8 miles per gallon, I pay 30 to play golf for about four hours if you compare that to the movie price most movies are about two hours that would be 15 bucks.

Took the two grand kids for bowling, two games for the four of us sodas and lunch after 60 BIG DOLLARS. ....But had a great time.

That being said I agree about the cost of things and am very selective in where my moolah goes.

I am a tightwad but working on changing that and not letting it get in the way of enjoying these later years.

pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote