Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
A visit to your Doc should be the first thing you do. I use to take sleep aids also, but didn't like the dragging butt feeling in the mornings. Since I quit the soda pop (diet too) and started walking a lot I can usually hit the sheets and sleep like a baby. No one has mentioned any exercise other then meditation. You might pick up a beginning Yoga DVD and try it out. I have found the breathing it teaches you has a real calming effect.

BUT, you really need to see the Doc, not a PA, to see if there is an under lying problem. Also, if you are taking any meds, new or old, see your Pharmisist (sp?) and ask if any of them could be the cause. Or, even google your meds for side effects. Good luck and hope you get the rest you need.

As a side note; if you can, park the Segway and walk.
I need a new doctor. He wouldn't give me any good pain meds for sciatica because he thought I would commit suicide. It was so sever I had to use a walker. Look around your kitchen, garage, bedroom. Can you see anything you could use, besides pills, to commit suicide? Moron. I called back and said if I didn't get the pain meds, I would commit suicide. It worked.

I couldn't take Yoga seriously. I just need to get into a good routine. I always ask my pharmacist when I get any new meds. How often, how much, too soon, etc, and I always tell them I have a hight tolerance.

Thanks for all the tips. I will post if and when I figure out my sleep habits.

Believe it or not, but I have been known to break stuff, just so I have something to do.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #30

Sunday: No Ambien, no drugs, no meds, no alcohol, no nap, no exercise, and no tossing and turning.

When I had my episode, I was having micro-second black-outs. Almost like a blink where I lost concentration. Around 10PM last night, I was actually nodding off every few minutes, and I went to bed. It was like a light bulb had met it's life expectancy; I was out. ~5 hours of un-interrupted sleep and I feel refreshed. True, it's only 3AM, but it's not unlike me to be up at all hours.

So... it looks like the routine I need to get into is fighting off the urge to nap, especially after noon. And if I do nap, I need to take some Ambien around 6PM if I want to sleep that night.

Thanks for all the tips. Time will tell if this works; I'm going back to bed.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My best friend uses the stuff and when he does, it's lights out, brain off and sleepwalking on. Have to lock the doors to keep him from falling into the water. He has no memory of anything in the morning. His wife wants to tie him to the bed to keep him from doing something stupid. Add a little vodka after dinner and it's worse if you can believe that. Careful with that stuff Dunner..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #32

! I now have an excuse for everything and anything! Yeah, I'm aware of the potential.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
I take Ambien...used to take Clonenepam (Mild sedative). You can get a lot of advice and horror stories of sleep walking and so forth.

It works differently on different people. For me, at first I took it about thirty minutes before bed, and I don't know what time I'd go to sleep (albeit quickly). No dreaming, nothing of the horror stories. Unfortunately, the more days I took it, the more often I'd wake up refreshed, but at 4 AM and could not go back to sleep.

Bottom line, see a doctor you trust. This forum is no place for any other advice than that as it refers to Ambien. It is a weird drug for some, and a great drug for others. Ony your doctor can work out what's best.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
...My family room is now a machine shop with 3 lathes, drill press, two milling machines, band saw, welders etc. I would rather build a tool than buy one...
I would kill for a family room like yours, said Jeannie, salivating like a famous Russian pooch.

One of the lead singers I had in a band I once had was on Ambien and was known to sleepwalk.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #35

I could put a leash on my ankle, but I'd forget about it, trip and break my neck.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #36

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ambien

I can say from personal use and seeing many patients that use it that Ambien--when it works as it should-can give you a wonderful nights sleep, waking refreshed with no grogginess. However, everyone is different, and so Ambien may not work for every one. It can cause amnesia( around the time frame it is taken) and I have known of these bad events happening.When it takes effect-it can do so very quickly. I have also noticed that if a person stays awake longer than a certain length of time --it doesnt seem to work at all(my experience). If it doesnt work--talk to your doctor, as there are many options--dont try to "add" to it with additional meds or a lot of alcohol. My opinion--hope everyone sleeps well---Vince--
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #37

vscoggin, thanks for sharing your experience. The only problem I have had is that the recommended dosage of the regular or the CR has never worked. Double the dosage of the CR works, but it takes 3 hours to kick in. By the time I realize I need it, and take it, I have to toss and turn for 3 hours. I'm very careful and don't mix meds and alcohol.

I was quite active today, prepping my MH for the next trip, so I should sleep good tonight.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
One thing I've found for sure is that any alcohol with Ambien seems to negate any helpful effects.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #39

None of the drinking kind in the house and the Ambien web site says big meals can do the same.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
None of the drinking kind in the house and the Ambien web site says big meals can do the same.
Hadn't heard that, bu that might account for some of the inconsistency I've had.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #41

2.4 Administration

"Ambien CR extended-release tablets should be swallowed whole, and not be divided, crushed, or chewed. The effect of Ambien CR may be slowed by ingestion with or immediately after a meal."

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #42

You guys are scaring me. If I take any more Ambien, I will dead-bolted the front door and the door to the garage and remove the keys; something I never do.