Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

And we wonder why shipping costs are high

How's this for inefficiency?

This was for an SD Memory Chip. Notice it left Memphis ans went to St Louis and Back to Memphis and turned over to Post office by DHL???????

Ship date 12/3/2012
Destination BILOXI,MS 39532
Weight 0.0746
Date Time Location Details
12/6/2012 5:59 AM CT Memphis, TN, US TENDERED TO USPS
12/5/2012 3:02 PM CT Memphis, TN, US ARRIVAL DESTINATION DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
12/5/2012 7:51 AM CT Saint Louis, MO, US DEPARTURE ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
12/3/2012 9:03 PM CT Saint Louis, MO, US PROCESSED
12/3/2012 6:00 PM CT Saint Louis, MO, US ARRIVAL ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
12/3/2012 3:00 PM CT Memphis, TN, US PICKED UP BY SHIPPING PARTNER
Enter Tracking Number
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
dunno - is that good or bad ?!?
are they shipping a ballpoint pen or a car ?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't get what you're trying to tell us...

The chit says that whatever you ordered was picked up by somebody Dec. 3rd, passed through various others' hands and the Post Office got it this morning at 6am or so.

So....?

Did they already deliver it to you or is it still there or what???
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He's saying that it left Memphis, then returned to Memphis to be delivered vis USPS. It could have simply stayed in the city and been delivered the next day.

This wasnt Newegg was it? I know my brother gets everything the next day from them... He lives in Memphis
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
He's saying that it left Memphis, then returned to Memphis to be delivered vis USPS. It could have simply stayed in the city and been delivered the next day.

This wasnt Newegg was it? I know my brother gets everything the next day from them... He lives in Memphis
Glad you explained...thought it was straight forward. Yep is was NewEgg and normally I get 3 day delivery from them. I live due south of memphis,
350 miles. Found it comical they would send to St Louis and Back to Memphis to send via post office to me. Lord only knows the route it will take by the good ole Post Office, but I can be assured it won't be straight south.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A city the size of Memphis has multiple post offices and postal shipping depots (not always the same thing).. What happened was this.

it was delivered to ONE post office by the shipper. (or picked up by them) then it was turned over to DHL cause it was addressed to a Different post office.. DHL sent it to their routing center where all incoming shipments go and then shipped it back out to the destination post office.

True, it would have been easier to send it across town direct.

But that is not company policy

And we all know how company policy is made right?

If you do not know how company policy is made... the following link has some "Bad language" in it.

How **** Happens In the Beginning was The Plan And then came the Assumptions And the Assump...

But it's also very funny.. True, but funny
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #7

Why not buy the sd memory chip locally??
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

If I mail a latter addressed to my neighbor 2 miles away at 8 am it goes to my post office 2 miles in the other direction then gets on a truck and goes 90 miles away to the computerized sorting facility then gets on a truck and comes back to his post office 2 miles away from him and he gets it the next day before 8 am. The used to do a lot of this sorting locally but, they shut that facility down and built the new computerized one 90 miles away because they say this is more efficient.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FEDEX perfected (so to speak) this system otherwise shipping cost would actually be higher. Better to consolidate and send back given the volume, saves on manpower and adds efficiency overall, not per package, in every case.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wayne & Susan,

What was your shipping cost on the SD card?

I'm just wondering if the shipping cost covered the fuel cost. Ha ha! I know there were other items having shipping costs on the same truck.

Can you imagine an 18 wheeler with on sd chip in it for delivery. I'll bet it has happened.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wayne & Susan,
Can you imagine an 18 wheeler with on sd chip in it for delivery. I'll bet it has happened.
Would that really shock us? Airplanes fly commuter routes with no one aboard!

Speaking of shipping, USPS is apparently quite confident if they still think they can deliver yesterday. Go figure...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-905664960.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	30476
Mbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #12

I've worked in the "freight" buisness (LTL- less than truck load) for the last 15 years, and it still amazes me how they come up with some of the routing,,, but I guess it works because last I heard we are best at on time delivery, and making a profit. (rumor if you wish) Thing is as mentioned, I see freight from here go 104 miles north for instance to a large "hub", then it comes right back by here the same night to 75 miles south of here. I do understand that one, as it's only profitable to run FULL TRUCKS, not half empty. Everybody (in this buisness anyway) has set preplanned routes,,, so things go to a "hub" in our case, gets unloaded, and reloaded unto trucks already planned to go to the destination. BUT, again in our case, freight would Never leave this delivery area just to be returned (as mentioned with USPS) and delivered here. hmmm, We deliver to several cities in this area, so it would be loaded onto the local delivery routes without leaving here... Guess I'm rambling so I'll shut up now....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wayne & Susan,

What was your shipping cost on the SD card?

I'm just wondering if the shipping cost covered the fuel cost. Ha ha! I know there were other items having shipping costs on the same truck.

Speaking as a retiree of one of America's leading express carriers, I can tell you it has happened. Maybe not an SD card, but other small packages that most of us would deem to be insignificant.

At this time of year you see a lot of very strange things happen in the transportation industry. Some years ago, on Christmas Eve, I was returning to Boston from Newark Airport when I was diverted to JFK to pickup two boxes going to Providence, RI that had been mis-routed into JFK. Why? Because the main sort facility (somewhere in middle America) found these two boxes after the planes for Boston and Providence were already en-route and the JFK aircraft was still on the ground. All part of good intentioned employees trying to service the customer.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered a RAM mount item online once. They shipped it by Priority mail, from their warehouse just two miles away.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote