Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Another good reason to own RV

My family and I lost power in our home because of the ice storm in Indiana. We received around 2" of ice. There were over 11,000 people with out power just in our area. We were lucky enough to be able to walk out to the barn, fire up the generator, turn on the heat and TV, and stay nice and warm. Luckily the power was only out for a little over a day. Some of the people still do not have power and they are saying it may be days before the do. Every thing is still ice covered and it is very windy. Hopefully we do not loose our power again.
I guess it was a good idea to build a 22' long exhaust extension to get the diesel fumes out of the barn the day before the ice storm.
Most people went to hotels where they had power and slept in a bed that they did not know what happened in the night before. I slept in my own bed that I know every thing that happens in.
The kids kept asking where are we going and when are we leaving. They did not realize we were camping in the barn.

Monaco Dynasty
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
A great reason to have an RV wish I had room for a barn. My unit is stored about 20+ miles from our home but between to towns we visit almost daily. We often have lunch in it and many times just stop in and take a rest between different errands.

Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my TT set-up for the Y2k event. I wanted to play it safe, considering what was supposed to happen! I am glad that we did not need it.
Hudsoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ha, we are in Indy in an RV park. Patty posted pictures of all the ice. I am in Detroit this week, but told Patty not to worry.....just fire up the genset if the power goes out!
We are looking for our Indy/Greenwood stick built home and told our realtor that we wanted a building for our MH with a house. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
They make great hurricane lifeboats, too. Get out of the storm's path and be comfortable doing it.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
They make great hurricane lifeboats, too. Get out of the storm's path and be comfortable doing it.
Yep, been there, done that, ready to do it again.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
After our move, we will be staying in our MH untill we find a place to rent. Also will take some short trips.

In case this country folds in, we will have a place
to stay and or go where we think we should be.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
In OK we have so many ice storms we finally gave up and bought a generator and wired it to the house now when we lose power we just turn the gen on and go about our business
2008 Revolution
Me the wife and 3 Bassets
Look out world here we come
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Yep, we were ready here in IN. RV in its own shed full of gas and propane if we needed it. Did not! WOO HOO.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2004 we had the 4 hurricanes hit Florida. Our city of Ocala had been very lucky in all the years past with no hits. But in 2004 we got hit by all 4, we lost power for 5 days and lived in the MH on our property. That happen in 2 of the 4 storms. We keep our MH on a storage site 3 miles from our home.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Aside from wanting covered storage the other reason our MH is stored 20 miles away is to keep it off these islands in case of storms and guarantee we have a refuge. At each hurricane warning we pack it up and go north west about 50 miles and act like the weather is good.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Thor Owners Club
Your lucky...our power went out for a day and guess what.....the MH was not in the backyard but in the shop....had to be old fashioned and use candles and fireplace.

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Our portable genset we carry with our 5er fulfilled its destiny during the IN power outages. It ran non-stop, except for refueling, >24hrs before power was restored to our area. I have a switch-box that allows me to select power source, genset or REMC. While all houses around were dark and cold, we had heat, lights, disnetwork,(everything 120VAC-no 240VAC).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Another reason

The military moves me about every 2 years. Last time I was going to point A, shipped all our household and then 2 days before departure was told I was going to point B the opposite direction. No problem, looked on this site found the best places to camp on the way, re programed the GPS loaded Family and dog into the RV and took off. Arrived and started my new job with a "hey let me know when you find my stick furniture in the meantime I'm camping out".

Forest River Fifth Wheel
Ford 350 Dually, King Ranch
New Puppy Camper Boy
Helotes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote