Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I guess over the course of my life I've made several thousands of cash purchases in retail stores.

I can't remember being short changed. I can remember being given more changed than I should have on a couple occasions which I gave back. I've also had clerks point out that I gave them too much.

It seems the greatest error reported here is giving 20 and receiving change for a 10. While I don't throw money away foolishly, $10 is not worth the grief of calling the police, elevating my blood pressure, accusing the clerk of being a crook without tangible proof (I would think the majority of time its a simple mistake rather then theft), etc...

Think about form their side. If a clerk averages 20 transactions and hour that would be 62,400 transactions per year assuming full time employee. If they made one mistake a day that would equate to an error rate of 0.42%. The health care industry isn't that good. Point being mistakes happen. Ask her to double check. Maybe ask for the manager to recount, Just doesn't seem worth the time for 10 bucks. I just can't see letting $10.00 get me upset. If it was $10.00 a day, different story.

Truth be told I've probably lost more than $10.00 a quarter at a time in the seat cushions.
I can remember when losing $10 would have meant I didn't eat that week. It may not seem like a big deal to you but for some people it is a big deal

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I can remember when losing $10 would have meant I didn't eat that week. It may not seem like a big deal to you but for some people it is a big deal
I too can remember when it meant I wouldn't eat for sometime.

My assumption is if we can afford to have RVs, internet service and a computer to post on the internet we can afford $10.00. Sure beats getting worked up, but then some people live to get worked up. If $10.00 is worth the half hour or more of your time it will take to call the police, by all means have at it.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
From now on; everything goes on the card; no expections.
Friend of mine rented a car.. Well, shortly later she got a phone call from her bank.. "Suspicious activity on your credit card" A whole bunch of stuff had been ordered by phone using her card.

Well.. When the UPS truck pulled up in front of the house (Ship to address different from billing) there were two Brown Shirts on board.. the Female one took the package to the door, Got a signature, then she removed her brown shirt to reveal the blue shirt underneath. Michigan State Trooper blue (OK, that's not exactly how it happened) and off they went to jail.

NOT all Credit card Fraud stories end that well.

Oh, what happened? Well the rental agnecy took an imprint, And the clerk xeroxed it and gave the copy to his brother.

Plus even if it's a swip and put back in your pocket (not enough on the reciept to id your card) There are devices that can be placed over a legit card reader to copy your swipe.

There are more ways to cheat in this world then a simple short change job.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I got that call too. First there was a charge to iTunes for less than $2.00. The bank rep said they do that to verify the card number works, then they charged #1,200.00 at newegg.com. The bank rep said online transaction are by far a bigger security hole for thieves than actual face to face transactions.

This call came on the same day that HVAC guys said the furnace was completely shot and I dropped my iPhone in my cup off coffee. When it rains it pours.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had I known that, as you say she hid the twenty under the tens, there is no way I would have left the store without calling a supervisor, manager, owner who ever and had her repeat the story then have the tray counted.

On the other hand had she given me more change than I deserved I would absolutely return it to her.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
This should be the thread killer.... I have been in retail 42 years..Started as a bagger at Publix in 1969... I have owned my own retail store for 13 years. I do not have a college education. The average transactions I have either done or managed in 42 years is 200 a day. That means approx. 2,700.000 transactions, as a clerk, manager or owner. In that time I have only had to count a till, at a customers request 4 or 5 times... Really.. I am not making this up. Now lets say customer ' A ' says she was shorted 10 bucks... I count the till and it's right on. Customer 'A' is still gonna be mad.. you can count on it.. So heres my choice, give the customer the 10 bucks and move on or have customer A stand at the register and throw a fit...Hummmmmm... I would give any customer 10 bucks not to be yelled at any day. Sometimes clerks are wrong, alot of times customers are wrong. It's hard to find a customer, it's easy to find another clerk... At 8 bucks an hour... We get what we pay for. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I just came from the store and got took for $10.00;
I only had a few small items and decided to pay with cash; the gal rang them up and I handed her a twenty, (big mistake) usually when I pay with cash,I roll up the bill before handing it to the clerk; this way I know the clerk has to unroll it, (they hate this) but I got short changed one time before when I gave the clerk a twenty and got change for a ten. I messed up this time and forgot to roll up the twenty; she gave me change for a ten. I told her that I gave her a twenty and she said no you didn't; I saw her put the bill (the twenty)in the drawer real quick.under the tens. She pointed to the drawer and said;see all tens, I saw her slip my twenty under the tens but jumping over the counter and lifting the tens up to show her was out of the question.
Just another reason to not pay with cash.
Which store? This is hideous, and mgt should know what their employees are doing.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Pure Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Apparently this girl had pulled this scam before but there was no real proof of it.
Just a thought and if you use it you owe me ten cents and you can pay me the next time you see me ...

Our vets gave us the freedom that we have forgotten about ........
...and, it hurts to give a lot of credit to Navy guys, but that was PURE GENIUS!!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
...Now lets say customer ' A ' says she was shorted 10 bucks... I count the till and it's right on. Customer 'A' is still gonna be mad.. you can count on it.. So heres my choice, give the customer the 10 bucks and move on or have customer A stand at the register and throw a fit...Hummmmmm... I would give any customer 10 bucks not to be yelled at any day. Sometimes clerks are wrong, alot of times customers are wrong. It's hard to find a customer, it's easy to find another clerk... At 8 bucks an hour... We get what we pay for. D
And that is why the crooks do it, not to mention your attitude towards your employees is deplorable. I'm glad I never worked for you.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #38

Always use credit cards...we save the air-miles, besides, my wife doesn't give me any cash.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
This should be the thread killer.... I have been in retail 42 years..Started as a bagger at Publix in 1969... I have owned my own retail store for 13 years. I do not have a college education. The average transactions I have either done or managed in 42 years is 200 a day. That means approx. 2,700.000 transactions, as a clerk, manager or owner. In that time I have only had to count a till, at a customers request 4 or 5 times... Really.. I am not making this up. Now lets say customer ' A ' says she was shorted 10 bucks... I count the till and it's right on. Customer 'A' is still gonna be mad.. you can count on it.. So heres my choice, give the customer the 10 bucks and move on or have customer A stand at the register and throw a fit...Hummmmmm... I would give any customer 10 bucks not to be yelled at any day. Sometimes clerks are wrong, alot of times customers are wrong. It's hard to find a customer, it's easy to find another clerk... At 8 bucks an hour... We get what we pay for. D
D. I'm one of those crazy customers. My usual response is please count the drawer, if I meet any resistance I tell them in a loud voice that they should call the cops because I'm not leaving until I get my money. This usually results in the manager coming out and either counting the till or giving me the money. It helps that I'm 6'3" and 250, sometimes I intimidate folks. But honest, I wouldn't hurt a fly.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
D. I'm one of those crazy customers. My usual response is please count the drawer, if I meet any resistance I tell them in a loud voice that they should call the cops because I'm not leaving until I get my money. This usually results in the manager coming out and either counting the till or giving me the money. It helps that I'm 6'3" and 250, sometimes I intimidate folks. But honest, I wouldn't hurt a fly.
How many times has this happened to you? You said your usual response was.... sounds like this has happened several times to have usual response.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

Think about form their side. If a clerk averages 20 transactions and hour that would be 62,400 transactions per year assuming full time employee. If they made one mistake a day that would equate to an error rate of 0.42%. The health care industry isn't that good. Point being mistakes happen.
Actually the healthcare system is WAY WORSE...

WHO: Going to the hospital way riskier than flying | Louisville Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury Attorney Blog
But most people would be shocked to find out that according to the World Health Organization, there is a 1 in 10 chance that we will fall victim to a medical error after being admitted to any hospital in the world.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
How many times has this happened to you? You said your usual response was.... sounds like this has happened several times to have usual response.
I was speaking about retail problems in general, when you know you are right you should not be taken advantage of.