Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any Computer Savvy Folks Present?

Looking for some advice about my Linux OS computer.

I bought an Auto Enginuity PC Scan Tool with Total Ford Bundle. On the box it says 'for Windows-based computer'.

My computer is a Linux OS. I called the vendor after the purchase. He said that AE Scan Tool won't work on Linux. I hear that all I need to do is download Windows onto my computer without removing Linux.

Is this possible?

I don't want to buy another computer if I don't have to.

Has anyone here installed Windows onto their Linux OS computer?

What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Google linux windows duel boot

Old 06-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Google linux windows duel boot
Thank you Mark, I'll check it out.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

Linux doesn't get viruses. If you dual boot windozz you will need virus tools for the winOS.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Linux doesn't get viruses. If you dual boot windozz you will need virus tools for the winOS.
I think Richard, you will find that Linux / Unix boxes were the first in history to get viruses. Depending on what you do with your Windows system will drive your need for security. It's it wise to use a virus checker, yes but not necessary for everything.

Your infections week probably come from malware our adware which ids often not looked for by pure anti virus code.

Ymmv-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
HI.. assumption on my part, but if you are using Ubunto, you can use this link to create a dual boot for ubunto and Window XP (I don't know about Win7).
in my case, i prefer running secondary Ooperating systems in a virtual machine.
you can do that on a Linux system presuming you have a powerful enough machine.
I run a MacBook with a VM for Win7 and Ubunto and now i just installed a VM for the new Apple OS Yosemite.
Not sure if your software uses a serial connection to interface to the hardware, in most cases the VM WILL support the I/O of the PC itself. Meaning a Virtual Windows system will be able to perfectly use the serial connection, CD drive, modems, USB, etc.
hope this helps.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
Looking for some advice about my Linux OS computer.

I bought an Auto Enginuity PC Scan Tool with Total Ford Bundle. On the box it says 'for Windows-based computer'.

My computer is a Linux OS. I called the vendor after the purchase. He said that AE Scan Tool won't work on Linux. I hear that all I need to do is download Windows onto my computer without removing Linux.

Is this possible?

I don't want to buy another computer if I don't have to.

Has anyone here installed Windows onto their Linux OS computer?

What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Rich

It would be easier just to buy another computer console with Windows on it. If you act fast you can still get one with Windows 7 on it. Should be less than $300 and will give you a lot less trouble than trying to install or use windows emulators or dual boot.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
All computer OS support virus'. But if you "harden" linux to NSA specs it's vastly better than any Microsoft produdct.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektron View Post
It would be easier just to buy another computer console with Windows on it. If you act fast you can still get one with Windows 7 on it. Should be less than $300 and will give you a lot less trouble than trying to install or use windows emulators or dual boot.
Given all the information that pertains to installing Windows, dual booting, etc., my brain has been hurting with thoughts of messing up my 'non issues computer'.

I have been hearing folks just buying a cheap 'windows based' computer just for the purpose of using it for their scan tool. I have chosen to purchase another computer, and not just limited to the scan tool.

I was going to update the thread once I made the purchase.

Thank you for your input Elektron, I will look for the windows 7 instead of 8.

Rich

Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would use Virtualbox or Vmware to create a Virtual Windows environment. Basically a Windows system that lives inside your Linux box. This would allow you to have your Linux system and Windows system running at the same time and no dual booting.

I personally prefer Virtualbox. you can find a lot of how to's on virtualbox by doing a Google search for "virtualbox how to"

I use this type of setup for work often. I create my virtual instances, then make a copy of the directory )for backup purposes). If the Windows virtual instance get's corrupted or has a virus i just shut it down, delete the directory for that Windows instance, then copy the original back. I am back to working order. i do occasional backups to keep the virtual instance up to date.

Also remember you need to have anti virus, firewall etc to protect the windows system just as if it was a stand alone box.

My 2 cents
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

Hi r___r

I would have to agree with rdrv831 to use VirtualBox or VMWare. I too, use VirtualBox at work. My machine is a Linux OS and I have VirtualBox software running on it, running Windows 7.

I'm not sure your knowledge level, how much patience you have for this, or whether you're hands-on because installing virtual machines is a little cumbersome, but it's really the best way, outside of just buying another low-cost $200 laptop with Windows already installed. Here's an overview of what you'll need to do.

1. Install VirtualBox or VMWare (the virtual machine) onto your Linux OS.
2. Run the virtual machine software
3. Install Windows 7 or Windows XP on the virtual machine (you'll need a copy of Windows, such as a Windows disk)

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thread Update

Well, given all the information that you folks have shared with me in this thread, I have chosen to purchase a new computer. This is much easier for me since computers are not my niche.

It is a new Toshiba Satellite C55-B i5 8GB 750GB with windows 7.

This will be more than sufficient for my needs.

So THANK YOU to all who have chimed in and helped guide me in my decision.

Rich

Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #13

Read this thread about users running another type of engine diagnostic software on windows tablet computers....you might find the tablet works better in the cockpit than a laptop.

Installing VMSpc using inexpensive Windows Tablet
Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Read this thread about users running another type of engine diagnostic software on windows tablet computers....you might find the tablet works better in the cockpit than a laptop.

Installing VMSpc using inexpensive Windows Tablet - iRV2 Forums
I have read and seen pictures on a Truck Forum, of Tablets being used as Monitors reading sensors from the OBD2 port, and, replacing Electrical & Mechanical Gauges; but, I was unaware of them used for Diagnostics. I didn't even think of checking into Tablets. It makes sense that they could be used in that manner, though.

I thank you for the link pasdad1. I will read it, as well as, research Tablets running diagnostic software. I'm not sure DW is going to agree with the idea that I may need(want) a Tablet now. I'll just leave that alone for a long while.

Thanks,

Rich

Tags
computer