Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
We like to stay at Shields RV park Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. They have a fishing pier and marina. We fished there in November and December and did good on Croaker, Sand Trout (caught some Specs but they were to small), Flounder, Whiting and Sting Ray. Nearby are several bait stands with fishing docks, DW likes Red Dot on the causway. On the island is Bob Hall pier some folks were catching good reds.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I'm mostly a saltwater fan. Mostly S CA an Baja. Had reservations for Galveston Isl. first week or so of last December. Couple minor heart attacks at the end of Nov. Ow well. Had to cancel.

Time to travel again so it's time to get down to the Gulf to fish. Hope to find some fish in range of Galveston Isl State Park by rubber boat. Like to stay within a few miles of the launch point. Further than that I like to be up-wind of the ramp. Rubber boats are a tough row up-wind.

When does the fishing start to pick up in the spring?

Thanks

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve,
You can come down fishing pole naked. We have Academy down here and you can pick one up of your flavor, or just borrow one of my spinning or casting rigs. Don't much matter salt or fresh water reels, just keep them rinsed of and clean each time and they'll last.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Steve,
You can come down fishing pole naked. We have Academy down here and you can pick one up of your flavor, or just borrow one of my spinning or casting rigs. Don't much matter salt or fresh water reels, just keep them rinsed of and clean each time and they'll last.
I know I can count on you Wayne. I'm just so focused on getting as many expenses out of the way pre-retirement as possible. Nice to have a paycheck coming in while getting the baseline set. Still - wish I had those Penns back. Classic!

Btw - someone asked about spring fishing down your way. When do the specs start to run?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
How about some of the best fishing east of the Mississippi?

On a small river that is stocked with a 1,000 pounds of trout every other day?

On the other side of the dam are striper bass.

Try Lake Cuberland at the Wolf Creek Dam in Kentucky.

More info here: KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

An inflatable is the way to go. We have a 14' Sea Eagle with a full floor that we carry in the basement. Also a disassembled fully licensed trailer (partially disassembled) and run it with a 20HP Yamaha. We're fully equipped with electric downriggers but we don't have lights on it for night operations. We do most of our fishing in Alaska in the summer, so not much need for lights there. We regularly run 10-15 miles out Valdez harbor into the narrows and beyond for salmon. Since we pull the Silverado with a big cap, the truck takes the motor, and various other items, as well as a full size chest freezer to bring the salmon and halibut down in. We go up every second summer, and winter in AZ, so the boat gets a run on the Colorado in off season, and some years in Amastad, at Del Rio, Texas. Great fun.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have the teeny-tinyest rig in the world, but ALWAYS find room for my husband's pontoon boat.

C'mon (back? ) to the Pacific Northwest- we'll fill you in as to the monster fishing holes...or, better yet, the out-of-the-way fishing holes that still have monsters in them!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Your rig sounds good Pigman. Inflatables are hard to beat. I'm getting really anxious for some shallow water fishing in the Gulf around Galveston Island.

Fishing in Gulf of California out of Baha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0108.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	31564  
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I know I can count on you Wayne. I'm just so focused on getting as many expenses out of the way pre-retirement as possible. Nice to have a paycheck coming in while getting the baseline set. Still - wish I had those Penns back. Classic!

Btw - someone asked about spring fishing down your way. When do the specs start to run?
Specs run almost year round down here but Oct-Dec is pretty good and June-July seems pretty good. Have them search for "Galveston Fishing Report," and see what is going on now-a-days.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M

Specs run almost year round down here but Oct-Dec is pretty good and June-July seems pretty good. Have them search for "Galveston Fishing Report," and see what is going on now-a-days.
I started down that path twice now but fell victim to shiny object syndrome and let the google lead me astray. Ended up looking at several Galveston Island fishing guide sites and the next thing I knew I was in Mexico (figuratively speaking and a good thing too cause Annie has already said she won't pay ransom to anyone.) It happens.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian
Your rig sounds good Pigman. Inflatables are hard to beat. I'm getting really anxious for some shallow water fishing in the Gulf around Galveston Island.

Fishing in Gulf of California out of Baha.
Nice catch!! Wouldn't have been able to keep me out of that picture!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks
How about some of the best fishing east of the Mississippi?

On a small river that is stocked with a 1,000 pounds of trout every other day?

On the other side of the dam are striper bass.

Try Lake Cuberland at the Wolf Creek Dam in Kentucky.

More info here: KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -
Sounds great. The x is from Ky and I've been by but not able to wet a line there. It will certainly be on the list.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

Husband wants to fish while we full time but worried about the cost of out of state licenses. Any advice?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GParish
Husband wants to fish while we full time but worried about the cost of out of state licenses. Any advice?
That is clearly the big one. Especially if you switch residency to a state you visit infrequently. I'm heavily leaning toward SD and while I love it there it will probably be the least used for fishing - short season for us anyway - and not traversed in winter etc. Texas is probably a better option from a fishing residence perspective with lots of lakes and gulf coast fishing and several southern routes to choose from.

I know this will add to the overall cost of out of state fishing but using a guide service in an area where you will be staying a while could pay off versus paying for a license and getting a low catch rate. Then use what you learned while in the area.

I need to look into this more myself - but there are some states I believe where the disabled, retired military and seniors may get a break on the license fee. So many states - so many rules. Thankfully there is lots of info online.

Maybe folks with experience will ring in.
Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. It will be an important part of my full time budgeting.
Steve