Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any Fishing Reports?

Edit: I don't know why the iPhone won't let me edit the subject but it seems to get me about half the time...

One of things I'm most looking forward to in going full-time is fishing. When I had my B van fishing was a big part of the experience. Now that we're 38' there will be a toad where a boat would have been.

Wondering if anyone has made the transition from boat to bank - found great fishing holes in unexpected places - have a favorite CG near great fishing - etc. Any current fishing reports or fish stories to pass along?

Before posting I did a search and came up with an empty stringer. Kind of surprised by that. Either you're keeping the honey holes to yourself or there's not many fishermen out there.

Let's hear it. Are they biting today - or should I have been there yesterday?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

I did a lot of fishing for years but don't do it much now but still carry my kit in case we boondock near a good loojing spot. Great to bring some fresh trout back and eat for dinner. Carried a canoe on top of my car and could get into some great spots. It was a wonderful. Did this with our TT about 35 years ago. My son and I would often go out on weekends by ourselves to very remote spots and enjoyed every minute of it. Did a lot of fly fishing and portaging with the canoe. We were often in bear country so my gun was never far away from us and we are bear savvy campers. I grew up with bear, cougers and lynx around our farm. We always cleaned fish away from camp and never slept with the fish close to us.

Those were wonderful times with good memories. Wife likes to eat fish but she has never been keen to catch or clean them.

Back in the day I could fish anywhere but nowdays so many places you need a license so I never fish without knowing the rules and being in compliance with them. Your rig can be seized if caught doing illegal fishing.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Typos above are a result of using the app on my phone, Big fingers with small keys - I really can spell.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fishing is important. I carry an inflatable boat with 8hp 2 stroke. Great for two people. It's a 10' Achilles with removable wood floor.

Fits in basement or in bed of toad. Wheels are homemade to get from campsite to water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1565.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	31289  
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Neat - I had a kodiak boat once with a 4hp motor. It was great and stable.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian
Fishing is important. I carry an inflatable boat with 8hp 2 stroke. Great for two people. It's a 10' Achilles with removable wood floor.

Fits in basement or in bed of toad. Wheels are homemade to get from campsite to water.
Nice setup. Looks very "manageable". I'm going to have to look into it. I don't mind bank, wading, surf fishing - but there is something to be said for the mobility of a boat be it large or "small" water. Spent 85% of time in bass boat 15' - 20' from the bank - 15% flying across the lake to do it. Some great fish were caught within sight of the ramp. Lol. I would occasionally troll deep water but lots of bass to chase in Tx.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero
Neat - I had a kodiak boat once with a 4hp motor. It was great and stable.
So you too are rudderless now? Ha. Do you still manage to wet a line? Whenever I'm in trout country - I love the wade and rock dance - but still wondering - researching the inflatables with small engine / trolling motor combo.

Btw - I'm iPhone challenged too and didn't notice any spelling in original post.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Flagship.

I do wet a line when I can but my chest waders fell apart a few years ago and I would not wade into some of the fast waters I once did back in the day. But I bought them in 71 and rubber dosen't last like it used to.

I have been in some real rich fishing areas. Catching and landing a salmon in fast water with a fly was thrilling and I caught a lot of them and landed some. I also hooked and landed many 4 and 5 pound speckled and rainbow trout on lure and fly. We had some good fishing spots reachable by canoe but some were very remote with many only reachable by float aircraft or helicopter.

This is why I prefer real boondock camping in an RV not a tent and I don't consider Wally Parking as boondocking.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Libero - I should live so long to see waders fall apart!! Nice job with that. Sounds like you have had some really great fishing and back country adventures.

I sold my backpack and backpacking tent in a garage sale back in October. I will still try to slip our 38' into the most natural settings I can find. I know it will be more of a problem than my days with the B Van but we're really looking to spend some serious time full timing - by that I mean minimum of 3 to 4 years and perhaps for the duration. Don't ever know what the future will bring so Hard to say how long it will be, but we felt like we needed the room.

I haven't been able to fish much the past few years and I can't see retiring and not getting back to it.

All the best.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post

I Fibbed. The boat is actually a 10ft Zodiac.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #11

I thought it looked similar to my zodiak. I have been in some very rough water with it without problems. Quite a safe craft.

Our canoe was not quite so stable. My son and I were excellent swimmers and we would practice tipping the canoe then putting it right and climb back in. Now that takes some skill and practice. Could never do that now in my 70's but I was extremely fit back then.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are in a great area for fishing. We live on a river, so many a trotline has been strung across it. The Ohio is downstream. DH loves to fish for walleye & Lake Erie is half a day away.

Hard on the heels of our TT purchase was buying an 8 ft. Sportsman boat to go along with us in the bed of the truck. Perfect for the lakes in national forests and state parks.

Libero makes a good point about fishing licenses. We are close enough to Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Virginia, and Pennsylvania to weekend camp and fish, but we just get an out-of-state Ohio and an in-state WV license to fish.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve,
Come on down! Salt water fishing is pretty good around here. In November the flounder limit is 2 per day and must be 16" long. We usually catch our limit within the first 30-60 minutes, then keep fishing and throwing back the small ones. Darn! I missed this November because DW had rotator cuff surgery and there is no way she will let me go fishing without her.

Now, if you are interested I have a Port-A-Boat, 10Ft, and a 5 HP Nissan outboard. I purchased it in --- well, never mind when - - but neither have every seen water. The only thing I did to the Nissan was put oil in it. It has never had gas. The boat folds up and the dimensions folded are 10' long, 24" wide, 4" thick. It's registered with TX P&WL.

You have my email if you are interested.

Or come on down!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Wayne - Happy New Year (sorry for not saying so sooner). Been living inland so long I gave up my salt water gear long ago. Sort of regretting that now and especially those old Penn reels. Been looking at a minimalist salt water outfit but haven't decided which way to go. Thinking spinning but gonna have to mull it over a bit. Not sure what I want to do about a boat either. Lots to think on.

When I was kid we used to shuffle feet down in Galveston with our Coleman lanterns stabbing those flat fish. They were plentiful back then and mighty tasty. I know I told ya bout my dad being the big fisherman and getting it in my blood at early age. Growing up on the Bayou didn't hurt either.

Sure can't wait to get out there full time and chasing sunshine, fish and taking up birding. the bird thing is something I took for granted living down there. When High Island is practically in your backyard it's kind of easy to just see em as part of your life. Later on you realize - hey those birds aren't everywhere you look / live. Lol.

Come in fishers of men - let's hear from ya.
Steve and Annie