Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Any Heat/air people here ? (sticks)

Our sticks&bricks house furnace has been having a quirk... ?? The initial fan on the furnace that kicks on before the burner has been kicking on and off a couple/few times, before the burner lights, then everything is fine... This is within several seconds... We had a heat/air guy out yesterday, he said the "main" blower motor was drawing too many amps. I don't see how the Main blower motor has anything to do with the initial start up glich... A Good friend who works in this stuff said replace the capaciter. This "company" wanted $500 to replace the main blower motor, + $100 to replace the capicator... I thinlk I'm getting ripped IF I go this route... This system is a 1995, so I know things wear out,,,, BUT,,, we are not rich.. The service guy OF COURSE tried to sell us a entire new system, which I'm sure would be good,,, but,,, we'd just like to get through another year... 20 degrees here this morning, but we are warm... Idea's ?????

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

The home furnace is similar to that of the RV furnace....in fact there are many troubleshooting videos on You tube that you can watch and attempt to tackle the job if you have some skill. In my furnace there is a wiring diagram and a nice logic diagram for troubleshooting. I use that when I am in a pinch and working on the unit. A start capacitor $27 (retail) ...10 - 15 min to install.....Start capacitor...$5 wholesale.... 1/2 HP motor (if the motor is bad) $120.00 retail....$55 wholesale.... AMP meter clamp on type. $11.99 Harborfreight
7 Function Clamp-On Digital Multimeter
Universal Air Furnace Air Blower Fan Motor Capacitor 10 MFD 440 Volts New!
https://www.midwestapplianceparts.co...eed#googlebase

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Is this a gas furnace? Are you talking about the main blower that blows air in the house or the inducer motor on the burner?If you put the fan on on at the Tstat and it runs for more that 20 minutes the motor and Capacitor are okay.
A lot of companies now send salesman out instead of serviceman and they jack up the price of repairs so you will buy a new unit.How old is the unit and what brand is it?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Up here (Minnesota) we have a service called Service Plus, $5.95 per month ea item you want them to cover then no surprises they pay the whole bill. If the unit ends up unrepairable they won't replace it though. And they send out a person from the gas company too. I had the thermostat go out last year and a nice programmable thermostat they replaced it with was a better one that came with furnace $144.00 my cost $5.95 that months charge. Blower motor $400.00 bucks again $5.95. True a little spendy but I have all my appliances covered. If we are not home, the neighbors that watch/check the house can call for service. (Furnace)
Great Feature We think.
Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Replaced our gas furnace last year, and did a little research beforehand. Aparently 18yrs is the average lifespan of these units.

Your there !
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
True a little spendy but I have all my appliances covered. If we are not home, the neighbors that watch/check the house can call for service. (Furnace)
Great Feature We think.
Tim
$5.95 per appliance?

Refrigerator
Stove
Dishwasher
Washing Machine
Dryer
Furnace
AC unit

I was thinking this was going to be outrageous... but $6.00 X 7 appliances = $42 per month.

I wish I had this local option.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Here's a video on replacing the start run capacitor on a furnace.

Run Capacitor Replacement (part #02435762000) - York Furnace Repair - YouTube

Order a generic capacitor of the same specs on Amazon.

If it's a propane furnace, suggest you have a new furnace installed by a well know HVAC company.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
$5.95 per appliance?

Refrigerator
Stove
Dishwasher
Washing Machine
Dryer
Furnace
AC unit

I was thinking this was going to be outrageous... but $6.00 X 7 appliances = $42 per month.

I wish I had this local option.

Mal
Yes we agree, and you forgot the sewer & water heater, The guy that replaced the blower motor told me to just call them, tell you have a sewer back up and they will send someone. I just can't do that. I have lived in the S&B for 56 years and its never backed up yet. I really don't mind, $55.00 I just cut the Direct TV bill in half. Peace of mind
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Our sticks&bricks house furnace has been having a quirk... ?? The initial fan on the furnace that kicks on before the burner has been kicking on and off a couple/few times, before the burner lights, then everything is fine... This is within several seconds... We had a heat/air guy out yesterday, he said the "main" blower motor was drawing too many amps. I don't see how the Main blower motor has anything to do with the initial start up glich... A Good friend who works in this stuff said replace the capaciter. This "company" wanted $500 to replace the main blower motor, + $100 to replace the capicator... I thinlk I'm getting ripped IF I go this route... This system is a 1995, so I know things wear out,,,, BUT,,, we are not rich.. The service guy OF COURSE tried to sell us a entire new system, which I'm sure would be good,,, but,,, we'd just like to get through another year... 20 degrees here this morning, but we are warm... Idea's ?????
does your fan motor drive the fan directly or does the blower have ''pillow block'' bearings?
if your system has the bearings, they may require greasing or replacing.
when the bearings have excessive drag, the amp draw goes up until eventually the bearings just freeze up.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #10

I'd start with a capacitor and if that doesn't solve the problem, get a new motor. If there's a W W Grainger place near you, you can probably replace both for around $100.
Commercial and Industrial Motors - Specialty Motors | Grainger Industrial Supply
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
does your fan motor drive the fan directly or does the blower have ''pillow block'' bearings?
if your system has the bearings, they may require greasing or replacing.
when the bearings have excessive drag, the amp draw goes up until eventually the bearings just freeze up.
First, I want to Thank everybody for your help !! The furnace is propane, 120volt, direct drive motor, and it's the induction fan that starts/stops before it kicks on, then everything is fine. The blower motor sounds good when it starts. I will try the capacitor first, and reply here this weekend. Thanks again, Monkey
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Guess: Direct Spark ignition issue.

My parents had a problem not unlike this, Sometimes the furnace would work, sometimes not.. And on my RV I had the same issue.

Well.... I wound up looking at things and with the manual in one hand and a ruler in the other measured the spark gap on the DSI ignition points.. on one it was 2x (I think that was my RV) the factory specified distance, and on the other (parent's) 4x.

Re-setting the gap made a BIG difference. (Fixed it).

I can not guarantee this is the problem.. A year later the furnace on my RV acted up again.. New control board fixed it. Now, 2, no, almost 3 (Come Jan) years later.. As of this morning it was still working.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #13

Monkey: I did not see you place the model and name brand of the furnace out there. On my model i have a little induction fan.... and right next to it is an absolute pressure relay ($18) that little basta$d gets a pin hole in the bladder and fails to allow the fan to kick which must happen to kick the logic board to kick the burner. I was able to make a decent guess and replace that part first. Now if it goes I jumper over it and buy my replacement with little fear of burning up.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

Sorry I haven't posted this, It's a Amana
Model #GUID070CA30 .
And Thanks Craig, another thing I'll look at.