Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Any Horse lovers out there

We are staying at a campground here in Bushnell Florida backing on to a property where a horse lives. This horse is the only animal on the property, the owners moved away after renting the house out. Apparently the daughter of the owner comes by occasionally to feed the horse. The campers here also feed the horse. So it seems this horse is sort of abandoned and living off the good nature of some nice people here.
She has a bad swelling on her leg and some horrible growth possibly from getting caught in the barbed wire fence and the owner I guess doesn't have the money for a vet. Apparently he said if anyone wants her they can have her for free. Would this interest anyone? horse seems content except for the bad leg. poor thing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should call the animal control so thay can put the horse with a shelter.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

I'd suggest someone make a call to Animal Control for neglect. This horse needs to see a vet and farrier. Horses require far more attention than what you described. This horse needs treatment quickly from what you describe.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Several campers here have called animal control and apparently they wont do anything. I believe a vet came out to look at the horse and decided that she was not suffering but obviously did not treat the bad leg. The horse doesn't limp but the leg doesn't look good to me. I guess theres no urgency but I thought I would get the story out just in case some horse person would be interested in giving this horse some care and or a home.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
I'd suggest someone make a call to Animal Control for neglect. This horse needs to see a vet and farrier. Horses require far more attention than what you described. This horse needs treatment quickly from what you describe.
I will look into this some more tomorrow. Not sure how long the horses leg has been in this condition.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
......She has a bad swelling on her leg and some horrible growth possibly from getting caught in the barbed wire fence and the owner I guess doesn't have the money for a vet.......
A picture of the area of the "horrible growth" would help. Just send me a private message with the picture of the area. I would not want to upset anyone who isn't use to seeing such things.

There is a malady, Equine Sarcoid. You can do a search for images to see if it matches what you have seen. In no way am I providing diagnostic information (horseman's disclaimer), however your comment of "horrible growth" was once use to describe as later verified.

Just a dumb horseman/farmer's opinion. If you can find out the breed, I'm sure there is a local equine rescue in the area.

Safe Travels
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's horrible the humane society there won't do anything. What good are they? Where's the local PETA chapter? I'll bet they'll get the ASPCA involved if they're told about the abandoned horse.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My concern is blood poisioning. If this were a cut from a rusty nail or barb wire and it gets into the bloodstream, that horse is a gonner without antibiotics.

I, too, am stunned at animal control. That's part of what our fee's, for having our pets, go to.

Take photo's and call the newspaper/TV station. They run stories like that here, maybe they would there. Amazing how fast people move when it's splashed on the TV or paper.............

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

Yes I'm a horse lover. We sold our horses when we decided to "part-time"RV. Taking proper care of horses is a full-time job. Whoever abandoned that horse probably did not have the money to care for it properly and just left. That-sadly is becoming commonplace all across the nation as more people are out of work, prices for horse feed and hay are skyrocketing, not to mention farriers cost, vet costs, preventative medicines, etc.
Around my area some folks are trying to give horses away because they are just to expensive to support. This encourages more folks to take horses to a sale-barn, where the majority are bought by "killers" people who buy up horses as cheap as possible and haul them to Canada or Mexico, where they are sold for food.
Perhaps your best and easiest option is to phone the local newspaper or TV station action-line. Explain the horse, it's condition, and circumstances. Ignored, that horse will likely loose that hoof, which leads to worse things.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #10

Try these folks:

Our Rescue
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

You think it's amazing how parents abuse their children, watch people abuse animals. Either don't see what they are doing. My uncle worked for HUD and saw everything short of a dead human body left behind.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
CD

Our Humane Society isn't much better. We offered them 100 bales of our local grass hay last winter. They refused. It wasn't good enough. It lacked some minerals that horses need. We have been feeding it for years with salt block with minerals. Haven't had any problems. Vets around here have sent people to us for years to get the grass hay and tell them to get their horses off the rich hay. Go figure.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with calling the Humane society.. They will come out, "inspect" (Take a look at) The horse and if needed call in a vet to treat the growth and other issues you cite. They can also come out with someone who wears a badge and take in the owner for an attitude adjustment down at the local center for attitude adjustments (Also called a court house)

As for the question in the subject line "Any horse lovers out there"

I grew up on a dairy farm, Road a horse most every day during nice weather.... So yes, as a genuine cowboy, I am a horse lover.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Having volunteered for many years in rescue it always makes me sad to hear cases like this. If Animal Control won't take the case I'd suggest calling the Humane Society or SPCA or do a Google search for local horse or animal rescues. Someone should respond. We'll keep all our fingers and paws crossed for ya over here.