Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #1

Any long road trips here?

Hey guys! Anyone planning for any recent long road trips? I've been wanting to plan one for long, but I'm just not getting the right moment. It's either no time or no funds. Anyhow, would love to hear where you guys are planning to go, if anyone is.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From socal to new jersey and back. DW's 50th high school reunion next may. Will travel there via southern route stopping to visit friends and sights. Return via northern route to visit friends, family, and sights. Figuring about 2 months to travel there, a couple weeks in NJ, and a couple months return travel.

Next August planning to take the jeep to the mountains of southern Colorado. A week in Durango, a week in Silverton, and a week in Buena Vista. Will a week or so to travel before and after, probably visiting the grand canyon and such along tbecway.

In the fall planning to go from socal up to Washington state and back. Visiting friends and family, sight seeing, etc. A couple three months duration.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
This Monday heading to Mammoth Caves then Forest city
Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #4

My wife and I just returned last Sat., from a 19 day, 3,000 mile trip. We left southern Fl on Sept 27, fortunately missing the whole hurricane Matthew is coming thing. We went up through central Fl, through Ga and up to the Chattanooga TN area. I wanted to revisit a few places I had been to years before, with 2 of my children. My wife couldn't make the first trip and I thought she would like to see them.
Those places were Ruby Falls and Rock City on Lookout mountain as well as the Lost Sea a number of miles away. She did really like them by the way, but was clinging to me through most of the walking at a couple of those places (we sure are getting old )
Well that took care of the first four days, but the rest of the trip was all, where are we going today ? . After those first few days, (we stopped at some really nice campgrounds by accident) we really didn't see much, other than a lot of interstate highway.
After leaving the Chattanooga area we headed toward Knoxville, then up toward Lexington, KY, then headed west across KY,then south going through Land Between The Lakes into TN, then farther south through Mississippi and LA,, then east through Alabama and back into FL.
We had a great time, but on our next longer trip, we will do more planning to see more of what's "along the way", since we'll probably never be there again.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
We just got home from doing a coastal trip of Michigan starting on the huron side going up to Mackinaw then back down on lake Michigan side. We had a few destinations planned but for the most part we just winged it. Never had any problems finding a spot to hook up. Next year we will do the Upper...
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
This Monday heading to Mammoth Caves then Forest city
Check out Diamond Caverns while you are in Cave City. It's well worth the price of admission.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have reservations for the month of January at the Escapees park in Bushnell, FL, and the month of February at the Escapees park in Summerdale, AL!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We left Mpls on Wednesday night, It was in the 30ties and are currently sitting in the BIL"s Driveway in Oklahoma City have a few repairs too fix before we head too Yuma Az for the next 6 months. Was in the 80ties when we pulled in yesterday afternoon. We have around 7-8 hundred miles shaved off of the approximately 1850 miles one way. Have had great weather so far also.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #9

Just returned (oct. 4th) from a 29 day, 4k mile trip through 9 different states! No schedule, and no reservations! Just putted the entire way there and back.

Left the Detroit area going north, across the bridge, and west through the UP running on M28 (northern route along lake Superior) eventually merging with US 2. Continuing West though Wisconson and Minnesota, destination Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Spent a few days there and continued on our way towards Glacier NP. Weather started closing in on us en route (accumalting snow in the forecast), so we decided to see Glacier "next time" and diverted south to West Yellowstone. Pulled in there with heavy snowflakes building on the windshield, happy that we had called ahead and arranged for a spot en route to allow us to hunker down right in town. After 4 days there, a short hop to Iowa Falls and side trips to the Grand Tetons and Craters of the moon National Parks. Homeward bound, next stop was Mount Rushmore and the surrounding "scenic" drives, which I thought were one of the high points of our entire trip. From there it was pretty much straight home (one of the dogs had become sick).
Old 10-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liem24 View Post
Hey guys! Anyone planning for any recent long road trips? I've been wanting to plan one for long, but I'm just not getting the right moment. It's either no time or no funds. Anyhow, would love to hear where you guys are planning to go, if anyone is.
hi im taffy from wales in the uk,at the moment planning a trip for may 2017,we are hopefully traveling across the uk crossing the English chanel using the euro tunnel,we will then travel to Italy via france, Belgium,luxembourg,germany,switzerland,our return journey will be via the south of france,the French alps back up to the port of Calais,a total of 2500 miles hope you manage to have an adventure shortly
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Liem,

Don't put off planning. There is no reason to delay the planning. We have been RVing and camping and sailing a long time. But finally, two years ago we got to do an excursion that I have been planning for at least one decade.

Since we got back from that, I have been planning the next. The next (hopefully a 2017 event) will be a month long and about 7000 miles and include the entire Pacific Coast Highway, some time in Las Vegas and the meteor crater with a few dozen stops at museums and less educational attractions.

Either start a file or get a notebook. Streets & Trips and Street Atlas are both gone, so you are pretty much on your own for guessing fuel and end-of-day stops, but that can all be handled. Use all the resources available on the web to discover what might be in striking range of your planned track.

You can plan the whole thing, but be ready for the plan to go bad by the end of the third day, so have your options ready.
Why does the carefully made plan go bad?
Oh, about a dozen good reasons. Like:
-You see a sign for an attraction that you had not discovered in planning.
-You hear about an attraction that you didn't know about from a fellow traveler.
-You got to an attraction you have wanted to see for years and now discover that it will take a whole day to do a quick tour.
-You got to an attraction you have wanted to see for years and in five minutes you are bored silly and ready to go.
-You got to an attraction you have wanted to see for years and it is closed with no prior notice.
-You have been driving too hard too long and need a lay day.
-You need to replace a windshield wiper and it takes all day to locate one.

The important point is to enjoy the excursion.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have signed up for the Alaska Tour through the Holiday Rambler Club. We will leave eastern Long Island mid June and return the end of September. It probably will end up being a 12-13,000 mile trip! Soooo looking forward to it!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have various family events, RV rallies, off-roading events, hobby events - spread around the country. Difficult to envision which can be put together for travels. I have started putting them on Google calendar as placeholders in a unique color. This then allows to visualize conflicts, those that can work together, etc. Interested to hear of other planning ideas and tools?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well we left early June and got home 8000 miles later in early September. Just long enough to do some laundry then went to Oklahoma for a couple weeks. 14 National parks, 5 presidential libraries and stayed in 35 different campgrounds in 28 states so far this year.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote