Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
There seems to be a common denominator here - our pets! That being said, I no longer take a pet with us, but am still an early riser. I summered as a child with my grandparents and my granddad had horses! and I was a horse crazy little girl! So I learned to get up, pull my jeans on over my pajama bottoms and go down to the barn to feed. Sometimes it was 5 am and I loved it and still do. I love the early morning bird song and the quiet sunrise. An occasional dog bark is fine, even expected. And a good book goes great with a cup of coffee!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a former breeder of dogs, (Alaskan Malamutes), and amateur dog trainer, (never paid, but always very effective).

You people do realize that you have trained your dogs to wake up and to get up with you at whatever crazy hours that you "enjoy" early-rising to.

A dog will sleep as late as it's master, it's not the other way around, (if it is, there is a problem). The master is the "alpha dog", and the actual dogs will control their bodily functions until the "alpha dog" is up.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
A dog will sleep as late as it's master, it's not the other way around, (if it is, there is a problem). The master is the "alpha dog", and the actual dogs will control their bodily functions until the "alpha dog" is up.
Well said BeachDude! Sadly, I run into many more dogs that are in charge than vice-versa.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #18

My dog is 14 and has a tendency to kidney infections as well as glaucoma. We rescued her when she was 8. If she says she has to go, I take her. Otherwise we're paying a big vet bill or cleaning up pee. Our lab is obedience and agility trained. I can sit her 5 blocks away and she'll wait for my command to come. But if a dog has kidney issues, not much to do but embrace it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #19

Our dog is litter box trained!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:11 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought this was the early birds. I get up everyday between 2 and 3 am.

Old habit from my military days. Love watching the sky quicken in the morning and drinking a cup of coffee. No dog to walk but the cats are entertaining in the morning
Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #21

Yep, early for me as well. Anywhere from 3am to 430am. Funny, when I was younger, my favorite thing was to sleep. Now I'm lucky if I get better than 4 hours per night. I wear a Fitbit that tracks your sleep. My overall average sleep is 3.47 per night. Sigh!
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:31 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our two it's anywhere from 4 to 6AM when they want to venture out. Yup, it's me to go along with them. Quiet time. Real quiet.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #23

Up anytime after 4am. Nothing wrong with first nap around 8:30 to 9am.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #24
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess I'm one of the minority here - been waking up early since my childhood days, my military and civilian employment years. Since retiring from all those "work schedules", I've been enjoying sleeping late. Especially since losing my dog two months ago, when she used to wake me up at 7:30 AM both on the SB or the MH, I slept till I feel like waking or have something planned to do early. I'm not a coffee drinker so no excuse to get up early. But good for you early risers!!!!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Guess I'm one of the minority here - been waking up early since my childhood days, my military and civilian employment years. Since retiring from all those "work schedules", I've been enjoying sleeping late. Especially since losing my dog two months ago, when she used to wake me up at 7:30 AM both on the SB or the MH, I slept till I feel like waking or have something planned to do early. I'm not a coffee drinker so no excuse to get up early. But good for you early risers!!!!
So sorry to hear about your dog, Rom, it takes a while to move on from losing a pet
Early morning are my favorite time. My brain starts whirling around 3am and then I usually try to fight the impulse to get up for as long as possible. Doesn't always work.
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Beach Dude, my dogs were trained to stay up late and enjoy the night time and then sleep late in the morning. Unfortunately both dogs passed and I have yet to replace them and I never know if or when my cats go to sleep or wake up. I can easily stay up late and watch the stars, but get no pleasure out of rising early. Although I do hope I continue to rise in the morning for many more years.

Glenn
Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #27

I usually go to bed around two am and take my dog for a half hour walk before that and she will sleep until 10 then come spoon with me for a while until I get my act together and go out to empty her and have a walk and little romp. She never makes a sound and neither do I.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:19 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I spent my life getting up early. Most of my career I had to get up around 05:00, sometimes earlier. When I retired, it didn't take long to lose the "habit" and started sleeping in. Over the last 16 years I've become a night owl, and my DW is even worse than me. I'm usually in bed by about 12:45, and she can't seem to find a stopping place in her book.... and shut the TV off until 01:00. The dogs will sleep in until about 8:45AM and I'm the one that has to get up, feed, and turn them out (or walk them if in the RV). If they whine to get out earlier, there's usually a good reason for it.

I really like getting up earlier than we do, but until we get to bed earlier, it isn't going to happen! If I need to get up and about earlier, I take a sleeping pill the night before and go to bed early. Works for me!

Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote