Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #29

I would like to be a serious biker but so far I have not found the right gear to get me up a hill.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #30

I went to a Winter Garden FL recumbent trike rally that was sponsored by CATRIKE ...We pulled into Winter Garden RV Park off Colonial....and there were at least 30 other cyclists and their MH's or Tow behinds all flashing at me or coming over to my site to let me know where to pedal. I felt at home there.
For those cyclists in and around Orlando....CATRIKE will have its rally this year at their factory area in Orlando (Saturday Mar 1). We ride the day and eat on Catrike ...tour the factory ...then head to the after ride events....the next day ...many of us will head to Floral City and stop in at Hampton's Edge Cycle Shop to begin a ride with owner Regis Hampton and wife. This is the Withacoochie Trail....the cycle shop is right on the edge of the trail.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #31

My wife and I carry our bikes with a Saris CycleOn Pro on the front oven our F-350 and works out great.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
There are some serious animals here! Lots of miles! Good to hear all this.

One thing that I am going to start looking to find are the good weekend rallys and rides instead of races. I am familiar with RAGBRAI, and of course do the Hotter-n-Hell just about every year (If you want to do that one, Coyote RV Park would be a good spot).
If you are looking for a great weekend organized ride, CNC (Cycle North Carolina) does a spring 3 day event usually in the eastern part of the state. They do out & back loops of several different mileage options each day. It's well organized & not the BIG party of Ragbrai. Then they do their week long ride in the fall, which goes from the mountains to the coast.
Also Charleston SC has a good ride & party weekend in November, which usually includes an oyster fest of all you can eat steamed oysters. It has been a few years since I have done this ride.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been riding bent since about 1999. In there I had a Greenspeed GT5 and a Catrike Villager II. I sold the catrike and bought a Bachetta Strada (650 x23 Aero wheels) as the trike was too hard to haul with my wife's old Bike E recumbent.

I managed to get in 13.5 miles this afternoon with the wind we are having. Quiet a work out on the return trip.

Keep the pedals moving and wheel rolling.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #34

TX... Nice array of recumbents. I was pedaling a Greenspeed GTO....now an Anura Quad and my old RANS Rocket S5....I am also complaining about moving the quad into and out of the RV....so it is my back up cycle on slow low rides. I have not had a single ride all winter. Have been doing some swimming at one of the local gyms....but it is not enough. I am truly a wheel man too.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okeechobee trail is a great place to ride. Ride for miles between humans on a nice wide path. Sun shelters seem to be every three miles. Biggest problem so far is fuel stops (Payday and Coke) are far off the trail on the highway that runs near the trail. If you want to get some miles in - plan a stop. RV parks all over the place on north end. Thirty nine miles today. Might knock dust off the old Bike E next winter and try a one day ride all the way around the lake.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #36

My wife and ride quite a bit. She logs about 10 hours a week and I aim for 12-14. We carry five bike with us full timing. I have a hitch splitter on the coach and a four bike wheels on carrier with a cover. The tandem hangs off the back of the jeep. Areas to ride are always a consideration when planning our stops. I haven't raced on about a year but hope to this year. I would write more but gotta go ride.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I consider myself a semi-serious rider but no where near the mileage some of you are achieving. When weather and work are not conspiring against me, 100 mile weeks aren't difficult. Still working my way back down to a healthy weight - progress but it is slow.

I carry a road and mountain bike. Storage is a big deal for me too. I really do not like them being on the hitch even though I keep them covered and locked. Putting one in the Jeep is workable but haven't spent enough time at it to get them both in there. I've considered storing them over my bed (class A - leaves too little headroom for comfort) and in the basement (requires a lot of space consumed by other things and seems to be kinda hard on the bikes) but have not found a solution that I am happy with. I'm watching threads like this in hopes of finding the ideal solution!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I carry a road and mountain bike. Storage is a big deal for me too. I really do not like them being on the hitch even though I keep them covered and locked. Putting one in the Jeep is workable but haven't spent enough time at it to get them both in there. ...
Well, I think I just made a great improvement in this general area.

First I ordered a double hitch for my MH that I can use the top receiver when I'm not towing my toad. That gives me a place to secure the bikes off the ground. Yes, it can be a minor chore to move the bike carrier from the car to the MH but for long stays of more than a few days it gets the bikes off of the car.

Second I am located in Alamo, TX for the winter and had a local vendor install windshield and wheel well covers on my coach. I got this bright idea and asked them if they could make a custom cover for my bikes. Yep...they can, have done it, and did it for me. Each coast about $50 but if you buy the off-the-shelf products they are much flimsier and hard to put on. The new ones are more of a canvas material and have draw strings on the bottom to tighten them up. I had them make the cover so that it is about 2" above the ground so that they don't get all wet from damp ground. They are a tad heavy compared to OTS but durable.

So, my road bike has aero bars on them and they made that work great and my mountain bike has bar end grips that were worked in well too. I'm very happy I found this source for the covers. BTW...I even got a tote bag with each cover to carry them in. I am taking the mountain bike back to tailer it back to a couple inches off of the ground because I didn't think of that on the first go. When I get them both back I will take some pics.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
A SERIOUS cyclist?

If anybody asks why you ride - show em this. http://http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2434360343/
Not sure I can hold 15 mph for one hour right now.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #40

I carry a Trek 2.0 road bike and a Giant Anthem X2 MTB. I try to get out and ride 3x/wk and run 3x/wk.

My favorite road riding places so far are:
Lancaster County,PA (hills!)
Jackson County, CA
Country Roads around Goshen, IN

My favorite MTB trails so far:
Gallup, NM (though the town is dump!)
Santee Lakes, San Diego, CA (hills!)
Kathryn Abbey Hanna SP, FL
Mesa, AZ (pic below)

It would be nice to have a way to find other RVing cyclists that might be near by to connect with on rides!

Khenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #41

Mesa, AZ (pic below)

Looks like Usery Mountain Regional Park, Moon Rock trail.

I start off from Meridian and Southern every morning, up and over Usery Pass or switch to MTB wheels and tires for the Park
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
Mesa, AZ (pic below)

Looks like Usery Mountain Regional Park, Moon Rock trail.
Wow...indeed it is Usery!
Khenson is offline   Reply With Quote