Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #43

So, like a few others have said, I too am late to the party but......
I take my bikes with me when/where ever I go. Typically I have a 6'X12" trailer I pull with all my Moto equip/gear. In that cofiguration the bikes are not to much of an issue. If I have 2 or 3 Moto Bikes I carry my mtn bikes in the back wraped in U-Haul type blankets (Ibis Mojo, and Titus El Guapo) wedged wherever they will ride. My road bike (BMC Road Racer, and Cannondale 1990ish criterium series, down tube shifters etc. fun bike. ) lies delicately on the bed in the bed room. I try to train/ride whever my moto racing takes me. Last year at the Loretta Lynns nationals I road some really awesome back country roads right from Lorettas ranch in Tennessee that were ridiculous, some of the best riding ever! If it is just a bike trip with my friends, we go to Fruita Co. for the fat tire fest about every year, sometimes I pull the trailer, sometimes I use a 1UP-USA rack with 3 attachments. In my opinion one of the smartest, well built, durable bike racks on the market, although they are awful proud of them. Then typically we carry the mtn/downhill bikes on the rack, and again road bikes adorn the interior wherever we find space. Favorite mtn rides wouyld have to be any Fruita trail, Moab trail, Dale Ball in Santa Fe, Brown Co. in Indiana, for sure Winter Park if the lift rides are your thing.
Any cyclist/s traveling through Oklahoma (OKC area) about anytime of the year that want a good 50, or even 100 miler on the road, or so decent mtn trails, PM me I'd be glad to give you a decent route or even join you on a ride.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I get my riding time in one way or another on every trip, here is a ride in Moab I am heading to in a couple weeks
Moab Munifest - Moab Munifest
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Plan B - 1 bike cover for both bikes.

I thought it was a great idea to have covers made for each bike and it wasn't a bad idea until I tried to mess with them individually when both bikes were on the carrier. The clearance between the seat of one bike and the handle bars of the other one made for a tight fit for individual covers. So, I went back and had the folks make me a new one to cover both bikes at the same time. It is a tad big but pretty easy to put on unless it is windy. Once I got the hang of it, it got easier.

To recap...

I have a SARIS bike carrier that I really like.

CycleOn Pro

I have a 2" receiver on my Honda CRV for attaching the bike carrier when it is a toad or when ever I want to carry the bikes to an event and the back is full. Most of the time I would just toss the bike I will ride in the back of the CRV.

I replaced my MH's 2" drop receiver with a receiver with both a 2" drop and a 4" rise. I move my bike carrier from the CRV to the MH when it looks like I will be stationary for a while. It takes about 10 minutes to do it all but if I don't have a garage, it is the best I can think of for now.

There is not enough clearance in turns to leave the bike carrier on the MH while towing the CRV. Wish that was different but it is what it is.

Some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	57264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0446.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	57265  

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	57266  
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #46

Use to race, use to own a bike shop, now I enjoy mountain biking away from the noise and cars with drivers on cell phones. My bike is a vintage Specialized Stumpjumper FS which I have full packs for and have been known to disappear for a week at a time in the mountains. Plenty of room for it in my storage compartment.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thread getting interesting. How about bike pictures - rider optional, pictures of bike in cool places, tips/hints on how you handle RV'ing and biking, best places to ride, ride with me offers - where you live or are parked, GREAT bike shops you discovered on the road and anything else bike related.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #48

We have logged over 30,000 miles in under two years carrying five bikes. I have got the routine dialed in pretty well by now. There are so many great places to ride out there. We travel mostly the southwest, but we go to NC twice a year in April and October. I love the riding out there. The smokies are great for road biking and mountain biking. We are heading up to Dallas for the weekend and stay at Cedar Hill State Park. There is good road and dirt riding there. We will be in NC in April and then back to TX in May and on to Colorado for a month in June, then Moab and SLC. Would love to hook up for any riding with members here along our journey. July will probably be California coast. The pics below are in Gunnison, CO and La Jitas, TX. Both shots are of my carbon 29er. ( disclosure, I own the company )

You can follow me on twitter @jonathanjakle or@jackalcycling

Safe travels,
JJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3132481981.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	58133   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2527964243.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	721.4 KB
ID:	58134  

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife & I are serious roadies, but we bring the hybrids for tooling around when we are on vacation. Removing the front wheels and pedals, I can lay both bikes (protected with blankets) and wheels on top of each other in less than one storage bay. Keeps them clean and out of the weather. Alternatively, our toad is a Honda Element which can carry both bikes fully assembled inside, but then I have to unload them when I get home. I may start doing that if I need more space in the basement.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #50

We are roadies as well. We live in the Phoenixville area. Me, just for pleasure; my husband is racer doing time trial circuit right now. He rides for Guys Bicycles. He usually "races" his way into shape!
skma30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Small world. Guys is my favorite bike shop. Got more than a few bikes from them over the years.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
My wife & I are serious roadies, but we bring the hybrids for tooling around when we are on vacation. Removing the front wheels and pedals, I can lay both bikes (protected with blankets) and wheels on top of each other in less than one storage bay. Keeps them clean and out of the weather. Alternatively, our toad is a Honda Element which can carry both bikes fully assembled inside, but then I have to unload them when I get home. I may start doing that if I need more space in the basement.
Which hybrids do you ride? I'm thinking it's time to leave the 15lb carbon road bikes at home and enjoy the riding when we are traveling?
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I'm thinking it's time to leave the 15lb carbon road bikes at home and enjoy the riding when we are traveling?
Allow me to be the first to offer to babysit. Assuming the frames are in the 54-55cm range.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Which hybrids do you ride? I'm thinking it's time to leave the 15lb carbon road bikes at home and enjoy the riding when we are traveling?
My DW rides a Trek FX 7.5 which has a fairly lightweight aluminum frame with a carbon fork, linear pull brakes and mid range Shimano group. We actually got it for free a few years ago with Amex points. I have an old steel Schwinn mountain bike that I have upgraded to SRAM 9.0, Mavic bladed spoke wheels and linear pull brakes. People can't believe its over 30 years old.

Anyway, we find it more fun to ride heads up when we are sightseeing and the flat handle bars fold up more compactly with the front wheel off than do drop bars. And you can still ride hard if you want, just not quite as fast.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lot of 30+ year old Schwinn bikes out there, they were built very stout. I have a 1977 Continental ll that looks very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20140401_193325.png
Views:	76
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	59715   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140401_193427.png
Views:	76
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	59716  

milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Lot of 30+ year old Schwinn bikes out there, they were built very stout. I have a 1977 Continental ll that looks very good.
Now that's a true classic!

Angel, we only missed it by one size at both ends :-)