Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
ctpres.... What a nice place to be at this moment. The KATY ride is on my list. Have you driven up to Floral City and pedaled the Withacoochie trail yet? Hampton Cycles in Floral City is a wonderful place to start your adventure. I park my rig in a vacant lot across from the shop.....and the bike shop rests right off the trail.
Parked short time at Riverside RV park last winter BUSHNELL - RIVERSIDE RV PARK - Withlacoochee River Canoe Rental FL (352) 793-5179 near Bushnell and biked a couple miles of Withacoochie on mtn bike. Park was not great unless you get waterfront but is very close to trail and cheap. Will stop there on the way home this spring and get in at least one end to end round trip in.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Anyone got a Strava profile? (Cycling app that tracks miles and course by GPS)
Not sure how to post profile lets see if this works.
I don't use Strava for mtn bike rides and totally forgot my Garmin 500 for our four month trip to NW last summer so there is a big blank space. I tried mapmyride and prefer strava.

Charles T. | Cyclist on Strava
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I ride both road & mtb depending on the area I am in. We are in Tucson backed up to Tucson Mountain Park. There are great mtb single track trails with not too much technical stuff. My favorite ride is road, any place I can ride up the mountain then fly back down the other side. I have done Cycle NC 6 times. I ride anywhere from 500-2000 miles a year depending on work & travel.

I keep my bikes on a Thule folding rack on the back of the motor home & I cover them with a large grill cover, when on the move I do not cover them, I just make sure the chain is well lubed & clean the bikes good when I get where I am going.

I use the App Runkeeper for all my activities, it does cycling, mtb stationary cycling, walking, running, kayaking, ect, ect. All my activities in one place.

2 years a go we stayed near Inverness FL at Sandy Oaks RV park in Beverly Hills, FL. They are a short ride to a connector of the Withacoochie trail. About 6 miles south of the northern end. Never had the time to do a full length trip, but we did ride to the northern end & to Inverness & back several times.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 1978 Schwinn Continental that I converted to single speed, owned this bike since newly bought back when I was in grade school. Untold miles on this bike, but have tracked over 5000 miles since rebuild in 2010. I also own a 2002 Specialized Sirrus Elite which is total custom build, can switch tires and do cycle cross, pulls trailer pretty well and is comfortable enough to do Centuries. Logged nearly 20000 miles on this bike since keeping track and have done a best of 5:32:45 on a hundred mile ride. I recently purchased a 2012 Scott Foil with the electronic shifters and have shattered all my personal records. Looking foward to attacking my 100 mile time once it gets a little warmer. I have tracked a little over 2000 miles on this bike since purchase this past fall. I have a front mounted hitch as well as rear mounted and use an aluminum Hollywood brand 4 bike rack and mount in front if I am dragging a toad. I love to ride Dana Point to Torrey Pines, always a good wind one direction or another, and plenty of cycle clubs to challenge.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #19

We carry our tandem in a rear compartment in our Damon which is tall and skinny and lets the bike go in vertically. This compartment was a major factor in picking this unit.

When camped, we sometimes bring the tandem inside overnight. You just don't leave $5,000 bikes outside.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Texas... what type of bikes are you pedaling? I used to ride a few races myself in my youth...pedaled Serotta cycles as my go fast bikes. Loved being in the saddle more than anything else then. 80mile rides as leg warmers almost every night in the San Fran Bay area....and 120-200 mile trainers on weekends...I think my best year almost topped 30,000 in saddle miles. We used to measure the months by how many silks we burned thru. Moved to Colorado and got most serious in riding....terminated my riding career in the later 80s due to some work related needs. Now I have gotten nice and fat..and love bopping around on a less wedged saddle like that of a recumbent cycle.
30000 miles a year equals about 80 miles a day, that is dedication and like a full time job. I rode nearly 12000 miles in 2011 and it was a grind. Made a bet with myself to do 10000 and surpassed it. I was riding 90 minutes before work and 90 minutes after work. My best month was over 1600 miles as I made it a point to ride a least 50 every day and to not miss one day. Many of the miles were just commuting back and forth to work, 20 miles each way.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm hoping to do the jalapeño 100 in Harlingen, TX Feb 22 24th Annual Jalapeno 100 but this Thursday I see an orthopedic surgeon to find out if I need knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus in the left knee. OH BOY!

The knee isn't that bad and the bike doesn't bother it at all until I try to kick out of my left peddle cleat. LOL Most of the time it doesn't hurt much but sometimes...

I did the Hotter n Hell 100 in 1999 (104* and they closed Hells Gate at 11:30 that year) and would like to get back there some time and do it again. What a well run operation! My mother in law has many friends in the Wichita Falls area and every year since for my birthday and for Christmas I get a new T-shirt and socks from that event.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #22

Late to the party, but I'm a (rather ineffective) racer and USA Cycling coach.
Been racing for a few years, but only seem to have any success with Time Trials. (I'm right there with you, Texas...)

Right now, I'm just starting to ramp up for the season and riding about 200 miles per week.

Transporting the bikes has been the biggest hangup for us in looking for a new RV. I manage to get two bikes inside our class B (Not a B+, mind you, just a Sprinter van). We really want one of the European B+ RVs that has a "Garage", but nobody is making that floorplan here yet.

Favorite ride I think has got to be the riding we did in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Few cars, wild horses running alongside us, just a very inspiring day in the saddle.
TheFitRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
It has been a lot of years since i did serious riding. Trying to get back in a small way. One of my favorites was Hotter' N Hell Hundred in Witcha Falls Texas in August. Don't know if i can in shape again. Age slows me down. Mostly mountain biking now.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are some serious animals here! Lots of miles! Good to hear all this.

One thing that I am going to start looking to find are the good weekend rallys and rides instead of races. I am familiar with RAGBRAI, and of course do the Hotter-n-Hell just about every year (If you want to do that one, Coyote RV Park would be a good spot).
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #25

I am using Strava. Great program. Got me back into doing 100 miles + a week for the last year. Now in Apache Junction, lots of good biking around here.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #26

We are not too serious. We bought one of these,

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...140130014901:s

Was tricky to put on, you put the cover onto the rack first, then hang the bikes. Put it on today. Heading south for a couple of weeks, so, we'll see how it works.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
What do you ride? How do you transport? How many miles per year and favorite ride?
I don't consider myself a serious cyclist but I love to ride and ride an hour a day in moderately hilly terrain. I primarily use a Giant hybrid. Our Vesta doesn't have a ladder so I recently bought a Dahon MU 8 folding bike for use when in our Motor home. Easy to take, I just stick it in the toad. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it performs.
Favorite ride? I'd have to say Tecate Mexico to Ensenada. Lots of fun.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The knee isn't that bad and the bike doesn't bother it at all until I try to kick out of my left peddle cleat. LOL Most of the time it doesn't hurt much but sometimes...
Try kick in. More thinking required to do it, but for some reason it is easier on my right knee.