Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Any Snowbirds? How far are you on the checklist?

Snowbirds out there?

Curious when you start the checklist in preparation for departure..

1. Campground Secured?

2. Rig Serviced?

3. Someone to watch over and take care of the home place?

4. Itinerary and Departure Date Set?

5. Final on my list is Packed up and ready?

We are still on a hold for 2 places on item 1. Campground. And I did that months ago. On waiting lists. If they do not come through with something soon, not sure what we will do. Really wanted to make it to Florida, I made reservations over 18 months ago and keep calling. D/W says we should consider TX instead. We have Work camping friends that have a line on a spot for us there with them.

We plan to leave around the 1st of November. Really wanted to be in place by 1 December.

When do other snow birds start the southern trek? How far are you on your checklist?

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Texas , this year could be a real problem , many who won't have homes or have homes that require major repairs will be in the parks if they have access to an RV.
Booked site , when we arrived last year on Nov. first, for this season.
New tires arrive on the 13th. oil/filter/ change today.
House care arranged.
Travel medical applied for been waiting a month now , they say " it's in the processing stage."
Departure date ,may have to go on hold , if travel medical proves to be an issue .
Health changes and, MAJOR price increase , since last year.
Started tracking down , and reloading items back into the coach , yesterday ; a month before planned date of departure.

Now if I could only find that " LIST"!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought about how 8 might answer this thread and he goes. Go fill the RV with gas and at the next block turn left. Drive for 7 hrs and stop for the night. Then go to the next stop light and turn left again. Oh that's right stop for gas and food when needed. Lol... It's not that easy but it's still fun. Sometimes I catch my self doing too much planning but then that's what we have to do to keep from having too many problems. Oh don't forget to take lots of walks and hold your brides hand. Lots of rewards are free. Have fun rvn.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

We picked a date in mid Oct. to head south and meet friends in Branson MO. Winterized the NY house and hit the road.

From there, we just bounced around in Flying Js along with Federal COE and NFS parks.

Once in Fl. we booked a month near Ellenton, two days before arriving.

Not sure where next. Not much for plans.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ready to hit the road.. everything on the list is complete..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #6

Been in Yuma a month now, guess I should check the stuff off on that list
Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Much of the flock has arrived here in Central Florida. Crowded doctors offices and restaurants.

We now live here on our lake front property. Been trying to clean it up for two months after Irma tore things up.

Just curious. What kind of lot prices are people paying? I know that is all over the map. Inland versus coastal for example.

We are thinking of selling our property and hitting the road as we planned to do when we left Calif. We had not planned on buying property.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wintered in Houston my first year after retiring so I could be near Mom. Hated the bugs and mildew. Years 2 and 3, I tried Florida at a friend's place SE of Tampa. The mosquitos and fire ants ate me up, and then there was the mildew.

Winter number 4 - I stayed in Washington State to get my knees replaced.

This is now my 3rd year to do Southern Arizona. I LOVE it here. No mildew and very few bugs. Lots of new friends every year and many from last year are returning.

Oh, I guess my list is complete, too. Happy Snowbirding, y'all!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're 3 days out from our winter spot, so apparently the list is finished (unless we missed something... let's see, spouse, check, dogs, check, car on trailer, still back there, check, pants, check...)
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Our first year as snowbirds... on our way

I would like to say that the D/P was all set and just ready to drive away and then came the day I took it out of storage garage home, D/W had this and that to do, then there was oh we will need this and before you know it the day was gone and so we decided to delay a day and get a fresh start.

Next day, the winds out of the south 40+ MPH and I decided I was not driving in headwinds and crosswinds like that. Next day called for much better weather. On the road by 0800. Made the first leg 260 miles to Daughter/Son in laws, g-kids. Will be back on the road Black Friday. AAA says record #'s of travelers on the roads that day. Fun huh..

But at least we are on the journey for our first Snowbird season RGV. Really looking forward to it!!!

Happy Thanksgiving yall
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #11

is Tallahassee Fl to far North for you snow birds?
what makes a good snow bird campground?
without saying other birds, but is it "games, group events of some kind, out door things of what kind, price, pot luck dinners"?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

We just got home to Ohio after a 4000 mile trip through the western states on October 9. Ohio was just starting to get chilly, so we decided on the spur of the moment to become snowbirds. We bought our Class-a at the end of July and love it, and hate the cold. So we had the oil changed, did some laundry, winterized the house and headed for Arizona. Found a great park near Phoenix and we're here until March. Thats how we roll.