Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody had a Spinal Cord Stimulator implant?

Annette is getting a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted in her back, hopefully to get relief from terrible back pain that can't be relieved with surgery. Anybody had this done, and if so, what were the results? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am just posting to wish you and your wife the best of luck and hope the procedure goes very well! It sounds like something I hope I never have to go through.......
Hope it works for her and her pain is gone!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Daughter has had one for several years and is having it replaced shortly with a new design. She is an RN in Pain Management and is really up on this stuff.
Get a second opinion and be sure to check their credentials and how many they have performed.
Good Luck
Old 05-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Those that have to go to such measures have usually gone through intensive physical therapy and many series of 3 steriod shots. I wouldn't suggest going with the pump unless it's been administered by a real Pain Management physician.

My wife is under pain management, and we do see a few patients in the office with pumps. But they're relatively rare. Most patients' pain can be handled with shots and morphine sulfate or Oxycontin. Oxy is now rarely seen in our community because of thieves and criminals abusing the stuff.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
They do a test first by implanting the wire probes in the back next to the spinal cord, leaving the leads protruding out the lower part of the back. Then they strap a test stimulator unit around the waist, connected to the wires, and the patient wears this about a week to see if it relieves the pain. If so, they go back for a neurosurgeon to implant the permanent device. Annette had this done Monday. It is definitely helping, but she's having so much pain from the place where they inserted the huge needle (large enough for the wire probe to go through), she's still having to take pain medication. Hopefully this will taper off after a few days so she can tell more about how effective the device is!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Those that have to go to such measures have usually gone through intensive physical therapy and many series of 3 steriod shots. I wouldn't suggest going with the pump unless it's been administered by a real Pain Management physician.

My wife is under pain management, and we do see a few patients in the office with pumps. But they're relatively rare. Most patients' pain can be handled with shots and morphine sulfate or Oxycontin. Oxy is now rarely seen in our community because of thieves and criminals abusing the stuff.

This is not a pump. It sends electrical impulses through the probes to block the pain signals from the back to the brain. She actually controls it with a wireless remote control, changing the area affected and the intensity. A Pain Management Physician did the test procedure, and he has done a LOT of these. He said that they are effective in about 90% of the patients that try them.

She tried the nerve blocks but they did not relieve the pain.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

I have a couple of friends that have these. They do a trial first to see if it'll work. If the trial is positive then they do it. It's not a cure all but both friends have said there is a big improvement. Just make sure of your doc. And the hospital it is being done. Good luck and feel better.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife had one implanted last year. It has helped tremendously. She no longer takes any pain medications unless she over extends herself. The surgeon can adjust the settings to get the best results. Will adjust them a few weeks after the surgery to give her time to heal. She will be able to select from several programs and intensities to get best results. Hope all goes well.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone! Right now it seems to be working well!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick update! Annette doesn't sleep with the unit, so when she got up this morning she was in terrible pain. She turned on the unit and the pain stopped instantly! Thank you Lord!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Wow! I had not heard of this type of treatment/management procedure. Isn't it amazing what can be done now?

This really sounds promising for Annette! I hope it continues to help and she can get the pain relief she needs.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I didn't know they did such things. Isn't modern medicine great!! I sure hope this works out for Annette so she can enjoy your RV adventures.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Prayers to you both for a great resolution with this technology. Hope the future holds many pain free days!
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote