Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
39 1/2 first time (20 yrs USMC), 64 second time (24 yrs Computer Sciences Corp), 66 LAST time (Social Security). Sometimes wish I would have fully retired much sooner, BUT three retirement checks a month is really nice.

P.S. Still work consulting a few hours a month for mad money, but at my discretion.

USMC (Retired) Not as lean - Not as mean - but still a Marine!

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Originally Posted by Bob/Becky D - VA View Post
39 1/2 first time (20 yrs USMC), 64 second time (24 yrs Computer Sciences Corp), 66 LAST time (Social Security). Sometimes wish I would have fully retired much sooner, BUT three retirement checks a month is really nice.

P.S. Still work consulting a few hours a month for mad money, but at my discretion.

Me Too........
26 years military......32 years Grumman Aerospace, and at 62 I started getting SS.....retirement age was a couple of months before my 54 birthday. Three checks are very nice.

corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #31
54. Wife at 44
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #32
3 weeks shy of my 51st for me and 41 for DW. Retired Army and we workamp for play money. No regrets - livin the dream
Rick & Jana
06 Mobile Suites 38 RL3; 14 RAM Big Horn 3500, DRW, LB, 4X4, 4.10 Rear axle, AISIN trans
Retired Army 2009 -- Making Memories
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired one year ago at 55. Been on the road since. Lovin' life!
Terry and Cecelia "followin' the sun"

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
Alpine Owners Club
I retired from GM at the age of 48. Thirty years of service and I was caught up in the bankruptcy mess and retired.
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
Retired at 47, was never good at drinking at 3pm every day or playing golf. Started selling Real Estate 8 months later, sold for 9 years, quit and divorced. Met a new wife who worked great contracts, great pay, condo, car everything. Hired me to help her at great pay. Now I am 72 wish I could work a contract but health not that good. So make sure you are ready to float thru life.
Frankwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
Monaco Owners Club
38 and 40 for us. Lots of frugal savings during our work years and prudent investments now, plus a few little side jobs here and there. Of course retirement doesn't need to imply that you sit around and do nothing. Since my "retirement" from regular life I've run a non-profit theatre company, become a dog trainer, started a photography business (small), established a blog.....lots of options to keep active and busy which are not part of the standard 9-5.

Our current retirement budget takes us to 95, so hoping that will do it
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
First time at 48 (Col, USAF), second time at 55 (Purchasing Manager at a hospital in Alaska), third time at 65 (Social Security). Life's Good!
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #38
Hung up my spurs at 41 to help get my DW new career up and running. I took care of all her outside tasks (photos and measuring building square footage) since I have zero clerical skills.In the office I pretended to work and she pretended to pay me. I retired from PERS at 57. My bride loves what she does and says that she has no desire to retire since she can take as much time off as she wants and when she wants. Sometimes her trips are one way. I'll head out with the coach and toad and she will fly out and travel back with me. If she is happy I'm happy.
Jim & Elissa Edmonds
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
I worked for the ns railroad and got hurt at age 38 so I've been rv n for some time now really just a lot of small trips 200 to 500 miles away from home waiting for the grand babies to get a little older before we really hit the road hard
worleybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #40
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
My wife and I retired at the ages of 55. Neither of us have ever had one moment of regret. It's worked for us because we really do get along so well. I've got several hobbies that keep me busy, and I've always got something to do!
I was self employed all my adult life, and though that life was pretty good, it was also ber stressful. The month I turned 55, I didn't retire - I quit working. Fortunately, my hobbies are numerous and completely out of control, so I stay occupied! And eight years later? I'm still trying to relax...
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #41
Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired from Delta Air Lines at 53. Hit the road for a month then daughter called and said a baby was coming and we had promised to keep her. Remodeled den and garage. got bored. Went to work for a motorhome company. Retired at 65. They got me to come in once a week and then two days a week. That was OK because I took off anytime the road called. It bugged the wife because I got several calls a week (from work) when we were on the road. Retired for good 1-1-2009
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I (56) and DW (44) both just celebrated one year of retirement. Like other posters on here, we have wondered how we got everything done before. still haven't sat down and just watched TV during the day once but have probably stood in the Kitchen and watched way too much Fox news!! During all those years at work I always assumed everyone else was also at work during the week days. Now that were home I can't believe how many people either don't work days or don't work at all because the streets are full of them

2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote