Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

Anybody Sail?

The search function isn't working from my phone but I didn't see any posts in recent past. I apologize if this has been posted recently.

Curious as to how many folks here sail and what it is, or was, that you enjoy sailing on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

We sold our Newport 28 MkII after sailing it for 19 years here in Florida. Loved the diesel engine, never failed us. Also bareboat chartered over most of the Caribbean, just the two of us, and the British Virgin Islands remain our favorite. Sadly, with my wife's extensive arthritis and 6 joint replacements, I felt it was too hard on her to keep sailing, so we moved on to a Class A land yacht. We have some amazing memories on the water and have found that maintaining a MH is very similar to maintaining a sailboat that lives in a slip. We also noticed that watching campers maneuver into a site can be very entertaining, much like sitting in the cockpit with a coldie watching other boats try to anchor after a long day.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #3

My wife and is are both lifetime sailors, but have not done much for a while other than some Caribbean charters. I grew up lake sailing dingys and did some racing with my dad, then I got into racing / crewing on smaller keel boats. She, coastal sailing / racing with her family mostly on smaller keel boats.

Though separate paths, we both ended up in So. Cal. in the mid 80s to mid 90s, when our lives revolved around very serious and successful racing programs. It was a great time to be racing in So Cal as the '84 Olympics in LA and '88 Olympics in Seoul, and the America's Cup prep for Austraila then San Diego had many of the worlds best sailors in the area and we had the opportunity to sail with and against many of the top sailing "rock stars" of the time.

We crewed across many classes at various times, PHRF, IOR, MORC, One Design - particularly Schock 35s where we both were tied to top programs for many years, as well as ULDB 70s.

Our wedding date was picked around our regatta schedule.......

It was an incredible time for both of us, and we have many great memories.

We we decided to get into RVing a few years ago, it surprised most of our family and friends as they always expected us to get a boat - by crewing as much as we did, we knew better .

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Had a number of sailboats, last two were a Catalina 25, and a Cat 320. Sold the 320 when we got back into RVing.

CATALINA 320 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Commodore 26 Sloop

Sailed a Commodore 26 sloop on Matagorda Bay, TX in the '80s. Great boat for the bay with a 2' draft fixed keel. That boat could heel over until the keel and rudder were completely out of the water - great fun. Once got hit by sustained winds of over 80 mph for a half hour while out in the bay. That was a white-knuckle ride for sure. Good thing I wasn't back in my slip in Palacios as a 42' boat went over my slip while trying to get back into his as the storm hit. Good times!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Our last boat was a Cal 33-2 (33' overall) which we sailed on Lake Texoma on the Red River between Oklahoma and Texas. The Cal was a "family racer" meaning that it sailed fairly fast and was also fairly uncomfortable. There was nothing better than sailing on a moon-lit night with enough wind to move well, but not too much to work hard. Except for drunks in power boats with no lights on. As we got older, it got to be too much like work, so we "swallowed the anchor" and got a Class A. The coach, it turns out, is surprisingly similar to a big boat, but much easier to park. And now we can go to the mountains.
JackF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I sailed for about 30 years. Last boat...before we bought a MH....was a hunter 37.5. Great boat. We sailed it on the Chesapeake Bay, and after retirement we lived aboard for two years and traveled the Inter coastal Waterway to Florida several times. Made it to the Bahamas once and had a wonderful time. Really miss it now, but things change....
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sailed on a friends 402 Sabre and was absolutely smitten after the sails were raised and the engine was turned off...silence, and I was hooked.

I restored a little Cape Dory Typhoon and sailed her on the Indian River. I'd spend the day on the bow after trimming her up and using my body weight for minor course corrections...just admiring the shape of her sails. What a great handling boat. She got rammed at the dock so I sold her.

The best sailing I've ever done was a 12 day trip from Abaco to St. Thomas on a 41' ketch. We had 20+ kt winds and 12/16 ft. seas the whole way. Four hours on, four hours off, 24/7. No one told me that it would be 700 miles due West, then the turn to St. Thomas. When we arrived, I and the earth kept moving. What was really weird, we never saw any sea life or a single bird the whole trip...a little spooky.

If the DW didn't have her 'water thing' I'd be hard pressed in choosing between RVing and sailing. I need a friend with a boat!

And I'm STILL looking for a RV.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We had a Catalina 22' which was super forgiving (thank goodness). Waxed it every spring and fall and vowed not to have anything that would require that much waxing again. That obviously didn't work out. Sold it and have several times bareboated in Florida and the BVI. Love the BVI in the shoulder seasons. MH is very much like sailing seems to us, particularly when we watch them come and go. We like the 40'-45' monohull range.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

I have a SouthCoast 22'
16' Hobie Catamaran
2 14' daysailers

Looking forward to using my boats and RV for the same event.
PWeckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #11

I love hearing everyone's stories.
We have RV'd most of our lives but when we finally sailed with a friend we were hooked within 5 minutes. I am embarrass to say how much that invitation has ultimately cost us! With virtually no experience, we discovered a Catalina 25 in a barn in Missouri and took the leap of boat ownership. Now we're looking to store the 5er and upgrade the boat to something larger and spend a year or so in the keys and Bahamas.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #12

I windsurf.
BOAT... break out another thousand
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
...There was nothing better than sailing on a moon-lit night with enough wind to move well, but not too much to work hard. Except for drunks in power boats with no lights on....
We went out once at night...and never again!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Matagorda Bay

The biggest problem I had with other boats on Matagorda Bay were the shrimpers. They often were pilot-less as the entire crew was on the deck pulling in the nets. However, that wasn't the worst problem. When the pilot was at the wheel, they would often crowd sailboats to the edge of the channel for sport. I guess they didn't care much for pleasure boats.