Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Anyone else

having a hard time finding a full time job? I have been laid off since October 2008. I have two part time jobs. It stresses me out everyday that I can't find a full time job.
I did have an offer April 2011. I would have to drive 40 minutes for $10.11 an hour. The company had a two year wage freeze. I would have been a temp employee for 120 days.
With gas prices going up I decided not to take the job. I figured it was not worth the wear and tear on my vehicle.
Does it pay to drive an half hour or more for a job that pays $8 to $9 dollars an hour. I don't think so. I do use a state job center website to look for work. I wonder if I should start pounding the pavement in the city where I live at? Does anyone think this economy will turn around?

75racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Before things get better, the government is going to have to quit spending like there's no tomorrow, which they have been doing for the past 2 plus years. I hope and pray things get better, there are a lot of folks out there in the your situation.

Finding a job is hard to do, period. If you can find a job that pays $10.00 plus an hour and has benefits might be something to consider if it includes health care. Health care cost have gone through the roof. Since Obamacare passed our rates have taken a huge jump. DW and I now pay over $650.00 per month and we have a $5k deductible, no drug, dental or vision coverage. We started a health savings account to cover these cost, which is tax deductible, but this is money we have to save so we can cover these cost.

It is tough out there, but hang in there, hopefully things will get better.

2011 Coachmen Concord, Ford E450
DRosedale, BRosedale and Yorkies, Max, Molly, Harley
Pineville, LA
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it pay to drive an half hour or more for a job that pays $8 to $9 dollars an hour
No it does not unless it is a well paying job with some sort of future to it.
I did it for 2 years, it was a good job, well paying but it was rotating shifts.
The shift change and the drive is what did me in. I did enjoy the job but would not consider moving to the area on account of the high cost of living in that area. If not for that I would have considered moving closer to the job.
It wears out your vehicle real quick.
Keep looking, watch your local papers and use the internet job searches.
Beleive it or not there are good jobs to be had but you have to look for them.
Going down that long lonesome highway,Bound for the mountains and the plains
Michael Parks / Then Came Bronson - 1969
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
noon news from Tampa Florida:====over 16,000 homeless in Tampa
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was laid off in Jan 2007, just at the start of the downturn. Here's what I've found:
  • 30+ years of experience means nothing when the employer can get a body for $8-10 per hour.
  • What I made in 2007 is no where near what I'm offered now. As a matter of fact, what I made in 1997 is what I'm being offered now...if I'm lucky. More often than not, what I made in 1988 is what I'm offered.
  • Employers are looking for part-time employees so they don't have to offer paid benefits.
  • In the good days, I was one of a handful of candidates for an opening. Now I'm one of hundreds.
It's not easy out there. I've taken a 40% salary cut just to get a part-time position with no benefits. But, I guess it's a start & at least it's close to home so my salary is covering my gas with a little to spare.

Hang in there, there's a full-time job out there with your name on it.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Nlovnit you said it BEST.... My hubby was laid off Jan-09 from a highly skilled state job. He couldn't find work, so that is when we sold our lives and started full time THEN in Mar-11 he got a call from a company wanting his exact skills, so out of retirement we went (he's only 55) and now we are moving and starting all over in Houston. We sold the rig, going back to a brick house as my Mother now need more care and will be living with us.
We think in his case it was VERY MUCH age discrimination, but of course could not prove it.
Good luck to all, we have been there, but than God everday that we might actually make it with benefits
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
I have read that too. People between 45 and 55 are the ones having a hard time finding full time employment. I just turned 45.
Since 2008 I have worked as an on call janitor at two school districts.
I'm still subbing at one. In April 2010 I was hired at a church to clean. I get 18 hours there.
In August 2010 I was hired at another church to clean. I get 20 hours there. This church I work from 8:00 a.m. until 12 noon.
The other church I have no set hours. I can come and go as I please. As long as there church gets cleaned before there Wednesday and Sunday services.
I guess right now I like the flexibility that I have. I also like working by myself. No one bothers me.
I guess being a man it's difficult when you don't have a so called full time job with benefits. It eats at me everyday. I can say since 2008 we have made it but I always worry that we won't. Is that normal?
75racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
I can relate. We had to close our business at the end of 2009 and I took a PT job in Jan of 10 that lastest 7 months until I was layed off. Couldn't find a job because I wasn't willing to relocate and work 60 hours a week (restaurant mgmt). So I took my degree in education and went back into teaching as a sub. The pay is low, the hours are great, the flexibility is wonderful, and until things turn around we are paying the bills. After things get better I might be able to get a FT position. We scaled our lives way back and only have a small house payment. We are lucky.

It will get better and just hang in there and remember that you may have to lose somethings now to reap the rewards later. Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
To inject a little humor here.

I know that trying to find a job when you really need one can be a heartbreaking event, but....
When I retired a couple of years ago my thought was to find a part time job. It still is but I haven't had the TIME!
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
I may be the exception to the rule, here, but I just got a job after looking for just ONE WEEK!! I am 50, but I also have a 3 page resume and am an Industrial Multi-Craft Maintenance Electrician with strong mechanical skills in an industrialized area. There are jobs out there if you have the right skill set. Also, there are some government loans and grants for education and/or retraining.
1982 CrossCountry - NW Indiana
Ford Electrician
Built WITHOUT your tax dollars!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In January 09 I was laid-off not because of the bad economy, but because of an acquisition and my job as a Facility Manager became redundant as their HQ was a few blocks from our HQ. First time ever losing a job, first time on unemployment, first time not getting a job when I wanted to work and on my terms. The bad economy made it difficult to find a position in my field as more buildings were being closed than new businesses starting.

I signed up with a temp agency and reverted to an earlier career. Took a job that is 30 miles away, but I truly know I am fortunate, they hired me full time, and while I liked the 10 mile commute better, 30 miles is better than no work. I do see signs of more work, but I don't think I want to go back to the 24/7 on call work.

To your original question, if there was a possibility that it would lead to something else, I would have taken the work.

We were able to sell our home on a short sale, but it was still 18 months before my temp job, at a greatly reduced salary, turned into permanent work.

This whole thing caused us to rethink where we were in our life. We now rent (its a dump) until I can retire and we become full timers!

Good luck with your search.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Thumbs up

I own a software company and we sell employment testing to companies hiring new employees. In 2001 we had over 6000 clients. Today we have 856....

There are few good jobs out there unless as one poster said "you have a good skill set that is needed". From the clients I have I see that car sales and the medical industry are doing the best. Next in line is financial followed by High Tech jobs.

Another poster was right on the mark when he said companies are looking for part time so they don't have to pay benefits. I have around 35 Temp agencies using my program and they are testing all the time. The best way to get a decent job is to "network" by going to as many social functions as you can and meeting as many new people as you can. Most of the good jobs are not advertised and you might wind up finding one that way. Notice I said Social functions? The job type functions are basically a waste of time because the limited amount of jobs and the hundreds of applicants make it like a lotto. Look on the computer (local Govt.) for new businesses pulling licenses. this will tell you they will be hiring soon and you can get the jump on everyone else.

If you are over 55 like most of us are it gets even harder. Younger people will work for less and usually come with collage degrees and new ideas. I think taking a temp. job is a good idea because it will show another employer you are not lazy and it will allow you to meet new people and get invited to new social functions where you can network. It might also catch the eye of a manager who has a better full time position open.

I hope my rambling on helps someone.... Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
75racer, you don't show where you are. I know of some good jobs in my area.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
I wouldn't think it would be worth your time and money to travel so far for such small pay.

All the stories here are so sad! The economy has also hit us. We closed/lost our business March 2008. Thankfully I was working a full-time job, while also working part time at our company. My husband didn't have a problem finding a full time job, but he is making $10,000 less than he was making in 2001!

To all of you out there searching for jobs - Best of luck to you all!!

Tony & Amy - Ohio
2 teen kids & a pomeranian
2010 Palomino Puma Travel Trailer
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote