Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Anyone Own a Canon Rebel T2i?

Hi anyone out there already own a Canon Rebel T2i? I'm looking to get one of these or the Nikon d7000. Another consideration is a Canon Digital Powershot SX30 IS. I've never owned a DSLR type camera, is there a lot of for lack of a better word "setup" before you take a picture or are they pretty user friendly? What is a good all around lens to get for the first one? Thanx for your input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
What is a good all around lens to get for the first one? Thanx for your input!
A good all around lens depends on what type of photography that you like to shoot. I had a 28, a 50 and a 135. each had their own value. Some guys will tell you that a medium zoom will work well as a 1st lens as well.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

I have a Canon Rebel xti, couple years old now and I like it. Easy to use, I think the flash could be a bit stronger but it works. The best thing I like about it is you can take very clear moving action shots. My battery seems to last forever as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
A good all around lens depends on what type of photography that you like to shoot. I had a 28, a 50 and a 135. each had their own value. Some guys will tell you that a medium zoom will work well as a 1st lens as well.
I think the things that I really like to shoot is wildlife and action shots, I guess I should also include scenery too. In your opinion is it worthwhile to go into the DSLR's or would a digital type camera be adequate? Cheers.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the T2i. There are so many bells and whistles on it, you have to read the manual to see all it can do. I purchased the Cannon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. I just wanted a little closer action than the lens that came with it. Had I known ahead of time I would have purchased the body fo the T2i and the lens separately, or tried to make a deal on that combination. I used the original lens for a couple weeks then put on the 18-200mm and it has not been off since. The 18mm portion is a great wide angle, and the 200 is all I have presently needed for some nice shots. I do have to admit that DW does most of the picture takin' when we are on the move. If you want a picture of a wind turbine, ask me, I have a few hundred or more.

I will typically leave mine in the "P" mode with ISO set to Auto. I feel it has the most versatility. I choose if I want flash or not when there is background light. I have set the "Tv" mode to 1/800 shutter and ISO to Auto. DW has learned that when we are moving down the highway this mode allows her to shoot out the side of the coach and stop most action. Depending on the aperture (auto) there may be some motion blur based on Depth of Field. The T2i will shoot at 1/4000 of a second and at an ISO of 6400 if you so desire. I'm not a real photo buff so what I'm saying may be dispelled by others, and I'm willing to learn

The software is great. I have a friend with the T1i and he has the same software. I was showing him how I operate mine. With software installed, plug in the USB cord to the computer and turn the camera on. It will pop up the EOS Utility screen. Configure where you want the information stored in the "preferences." (MAC is a little different to configure but operates the same.) Click on the download button. Here is the nice thing that I like. It will place all of the picture in a folder according to their date. It does not matter how many different days you have on the card. I then use the camera's built in function to erase all the pictures on the card. I'm presently running a 8 Gb card, but you can put a large one in if you desire.

Oh! And I love the continuous shooting mode. Talk about action shots, wow! Just hold the button down and it will shoot continuously until you release it. Very difficult to miss a good shot. I think I read it was 7 shots per second - but don't hold me to that. It is fast.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

Hi Wayne,

That's a great review you provided on that camera. It really helps in making my decision. By the way did you consider any other cameras before purchasing the Canon T2i?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paul,
One place I go to find out information on cameras is Steve's Digital Camera Reviews. Not that any one specific review will make up my mind for me.

I have a Canon EOS 630 that I spent a lot of money on back in 1989. For a 35mm film camera, it was great. I have had other cameras, but Canon has been my mainstay for a bigger camera for years. I like their reputation, and I have never had any problem with a Canon. There are other cameras that are just as equitable as canon, and will do just as well a job. I think you just have to weigh what you want to spend, consider the accessories and availability. And, just in case, repair, although I take out the Best Buy insurance replacement on small damageable objects. Let's face it, a camera is a very likely candidate to be dropped.

If you are the typical user that wants good photographs of travels, grand kids, and things like that, then you will not go wrong with a Canon. Nor will you go wrong with a Sony, Nikon, or any one of the other major brands out there. Just do some research and get what is comfortable for you.

I like the Canon T2i. I like the software. I like the ease of downloading files. I like the HDMI output capability, along with the USB. I'll bet the other brands have the same thing.

Good hunting!

p.s., My wife enjoys taking pictures with the T2i, but it can get heavy after a while. On our 81 day trip out west and back she clicked over 5000 pictures. I'm sure glad I don't have to pay for those to be developed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
We have owned Canon cameras for many years now and I absolutely love them. We have had two Canon SLRs (we actually still have them) which made it an easy decision to buy the first DSLR Canon that came out for home use 8 to 10 years ago. I still use that camera today.

You can see the "Wildlife" shots on my Bird Blog (look at each bird name link on the right side) or some of my "nature shots" in the Mt. Pisgah album here on iRV2. You can also see a variety of shots by looking back at some of my older blogs on my Miscellaneous Blog. (I am not in QZ -so I am depending on others to provide photos for the QZ blogs ...and thank you all!)

I usually use my 100-300 lens for the birds and wildlife and the 18-55 lens for other misc. photos...like close-ups of RV projects.

I would have no problem recommending the Canon Rebel T2i - but I will admit that I would LOVE to have the Canon 7D - only because the FPS is much faster and I am shooting lots of hummingbird photos so I want a faster FPS camera now.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Thanx Wayne and MonacoMama,
Both your reviews and wisdom on the Canon T2i I find very helpful. Also thanx very much for giving links to your photos MonacoMama! You really do have some amazing pics which also help me in my decision. This is the type of info that I find helpful as I've done some searching on the internet. I have also had Canon digital cameras for quite a while now so I find Canon to be a very good name in cameras but you never know.
Cheers,
Paul