Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwar View Post
Will try the electric gizmo, patches don't work, well maybe a patch of duct tape over my mouth would suffice.
That's great!
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #30

Quit on May 27th 1992, gained 30 pounds, went on an exercise plan and lost 50.
Never wanted another, just fortunate. Couldn't imagine why I even did it in the first place.
Never quit quiting !
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club

Your body will thank you in the future...

Been trying to get my spouse to quit since I meet her (1985)...

She just tells me she will when she is ready.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #32

My quit stats: Time Smoke-Free: 4354 days, 17 hours, 24 minutes and 10 seconds Cigarettes NOT smoked: 174189 Lifetime Saved: 44 months, 10 days, 14 hours Money Saved: $30,478.00 At 2002 prices!!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I've been cigarette free for 8 months now.
congratulations

That's great. I stopped in 99 and I love it without them.

Keep up the good work. After a year buy yourself a gift. Just no Tobacco!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I quit 3 weeks ago, cold turkey. The DW and I both were sick and couldn't even take a drag without coughing so we quit. Well, I quit completely, she is down from 2 packs a day to only 1-2 cigarettes.

We are fulltimers and the cost of cigarettes determined where we could go. State taxes range from .17 a pack in MO to 4.35 in NY. Now it isn't a consideration anymore. All kinds of options have opened up.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Nope, it never leaves! Start smoking again last year after quitting for 13 :-( I have a new quit date goal tho...1 Mar. Wish me luck! I may vape, but will probably just cold turkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Quit about 15 years ago. The physical addiction is gone but the mental addiction never truly leaves. If I picked up one I would be back to two packs a day tomorrow. The other problem is every time I quit I gained 20 pounds, each time I started back up I never lost any of it. Can't afford to quit again at that rate. Congratulations and good luck.

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before reading the following side effects of using Chantix to quit smoking - ask yourself this... Can't I experience all these symptoms by going cold turkey? directly from their public access website....

"What is the most important safety information about CHANTIX?
Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX."

I have been down this road and can describe my experience by PM if anyone is interested.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #37

IF the e-thing can help you quit cigarettes go for it. Anything to help you quit but be sure you pick a date to give that up too. I was on Zyban for three months at the recommendation of my doctor. He didn't want me to give it up too soon and go back. After three months I was forgetting to take it so I quit it also. People told me I would go back as soon as I was off Zyban but I haven't. Quit in November of 2002. Happy lady today about that.
Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Been wondering the same thing Judy.

As one who just went through a terrible bout of Swine Flu - complete with hospitalization due to inability to breath - I took that opportunity to quit.

I have been smoke free since Jan 3rd - and now on my last few days of 7 mg patches. When I had the flu I had no desire for anything except air in my lungs. I'm about back to health - and because I am 59 - been a smoker for umpty ump years - I left the hospital with the following orders from the doctor:

1) When you feel like yourself again see a cardiologist. But doc - I have never had any heart issues. Doc says - you are overweight & have smoked long enough to have hurt yourself - need to see if you did. What about seeing someone for my lungs? Doc says - no heart - no need for lungs.

2) After the heart guy has finished with you, go see the lung guy. See where you are there.

3) Don't smoke.

So that's that for me. There are people that seem to be able smoke with without health issues. I am not one of them. If you can smoke and know it isn't hurting you - because a heart and lung doctor have told you - good for you! If you don't know if it's hurting you - I hope you see the right doctors and find out.

If you are substituting nicotine transmission devices and living on the patch or an electric device - you are still not free of nicotine. You may be treating your lungs a little better - but nicotine still has a grip on your arteries etc.

I am not going to be an obnoxious non-smoker - but I didn't start the thread.

If you smoke - or take nicotine / tobacco by any method - I hope you quit - and I hope you root for me as I continue to quit. So far not a single desire to light one up. Maybe it's cause the flu beat the heck outta me - and not being able to breath scared the beejuzeses outta me.

Good Luck!
GOOD FOR YOU!!! Smoking basically causes chronic inflamation, which is bad for your heart for sure. And eating the wrong foods will too. Did you know that Corn, because it's the seed of the plant, has a natural built in inflammatory to discourage animals from eating it? It protects itself, and it never really digests, and in the mean time, causes inflammation in your gut.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #39

E Cigs

My wife & I quit tobacco over 2 years ago with the help of e cigs. We started using the V2 Cigs brand & it has been great. Great product & great customer service. Yea, we still get nicotine but it's pharmaceutical grade & doesn't have all the tar & other harmful stuff in it. No stinky smell either. My doctor has given us the thumbs up on this over tobacco.
cubano222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Been 11 days for me today,already feeling better and even feel better about myself
Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubano222
My wife & I quit tobacco over 2 years ago with the help of e cigs. We started using the V2 Cigs brand & it has been great. Great product & great customer service. Yea, we still get nicotine but it's pharmaceutical grade & doesn't have all the tar & other harmful stuff in it. No stinky smell either. My doctor has given us the thumbs up on this over tobacco.
Methadone is pharmaceutical grade and recommended by doctors over heroine. As I said before - I'm sure this is better than smoking - but probably in the same vein as methadone.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #42

I'd be willing to bet that the cigarette companies have their foot in the door on these new electronic cigarettes. Corporate Greed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote