Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
Here is something to consider if you plan on relocating to a different state.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger

Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I got a letter from my county auditor that said they needed an a appraisal on my rv. They said they appraised it by the nada book and they have it at $228,000.00
I paid $188,000.00 for it one year ago they said it would not deprecate any the first year I called my dealer and they said it was worth $218,000.00 and that is what they would appraise it at.Is there anybody that can give me an appraisal on what it is really worth?I am thinking $150,000.00
We have something similar here in Texas. It's called "presumptive value". I don't know the details in your state, but one absolute protection from the county setting the value is a purchase agreement from a licensed dealer or an appraisal from a licensed dealer.

Have you read your state laws on how this works?

Hopefully a purchase agreement from a dealer trumps their attempt to "set" value...

It sounds like they're trying to "appreciate" your RV. Also note that most people do NADA wrong with RVs - they add back features that are standard on the unit and that skews the value. At the bottom of NADA is explicitly says not to do that.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
Rexhall Owners Group
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
In Florida, there is no income tax, no property tax and the renewal for your license tag is about $65.

If you are chained to your location, you are stuck. Otherwise, just change your domicile.

Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
Our state uses the NADA Guide for RV's to figure personal property taxes. Banks and credit unions also use that guide to document the amount they advance on their loans--for bank auditors, and the FDIC.

But a RV guide put out by the National Audo Dealer's Association is not necessarily accurate. They don't have large RV auctions to obtain info, as they don't exist. And the person coming up with RV used prices probably don't know a MH from a 5th wheel and are totally ignorant.

The NADA Guide is based on what the list price is on a RV, and they depreciate the trailer/motorhome a set percentage every month. I've found the NADA to be a highly over priced estimate of any RV's actual worth.

You might want to look at the history of a like RV in the NADA to come up with their monthly depreciation for that type of RV. Then get a letter from your selling dealer stating your motor home's original selling price minus that percentage of depreciation to come up with documentation.

My Grand Design was not in the NADA Guide. My local license branch took a much lesser quality brand's price and set it as the starting amount for taxation purposes. I hope over time to pay less tax than normal. What's so bad is that my RV has never seen my home state where it's licensed. I hate paying ad valorem taxes on something kept out of state.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
there is in Mass. when you register your vehicle they use book value doesn't ma

they use book value, don't care what your bill of sale says.

Mass. a lovely place to leave...

Just checked at town hall here in NH excise tax is based on msrp and gvw!! Asked about selling residence to full time in rv & was told need a residence in the state to register vehicle. So NH is another lovely ( 4th highest property taxes in USA!) place to leave! How does SD benefit from full timers?
Phil & Mae
VanSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Camping World gave me an appraisal for $141,000.00 I am going to take it to the county tax office and see what they say I will let you know

Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote