Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #1

Aqua Hot heating

What is anyones view on this type of heating? I have it and really wonder the pros and cons of it. In real cold weather 20-30 degrees I don't feel it heats as good as the furnace.
Anyone have any feelings as to furnace or Aqua Hot? Most of the coaches now have the Aqua hot system in them. They run on diesel and if parked for several months can use up most of your fuel also.
Richard
ergrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You don't mention the type RV you have. Mine has zoned heating so I can select either zone to heat, or both. Our system is many many times better than a furnace. Warms everything up in a big hurry and does not cycle on and off all the time like the furnace used to do. We looked a number of coaches before getting this one, and it seemed that only the higher end or coaches with many options had the AH...most had furnaces...some had two furnaces. As noted, it does use diesel...I travel with a five gallon can that I can use to add fuel if necessary, however I have a 125 gallon tank and have not had to do that yet. If you are going to stay in one place for a long time, and it's cold, fill your tank prior to parking.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have it and have no complaints after 5+ years. Also have the zone heating. I also do not do COLD!! Under 40 F and I head South.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When I had a propane furnace I would feel a cold draft coming up from the heating registers when the furnace wasn't running. Now with the HH there are no drafts and more even heating. It does require annual maintenance without fail or it will start to smoke and smell. I'm fortunate to have a 150 gal. tank for those cold snaps. The coldest weather I've been in was 7 deg. F and it was toasty inside, not sure I can say the same for the furnace.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

Aqua Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
You don't mention the type RV you have. Mine has zoned heating so I can select either zone to heat, or both. Our system is many many times better than a furnace. Warms everything up in a big hurry and does not cycle on and off all the time like the furnace used to do. We looked a number of coaches before getting this one, and it seemed that only the higher end or coaches with many options had the AH...most had furnaces...some had two furnaces. As noted, it does use diesel...I travel with a five gallon can that I can use to add fuel if necessary, however I have a 125 gallon tank and have not had to do that yet. If you are going to stay in one place for a long time, and it's cold, fill your tank prior to parking.
I have a 2008 Country Coach but with zoned heating but it is not in the floor as some of them have. Mine has side vents which provide the blower heat. I was wondering if the under the floor type do a better job?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

I head south also but once it a while it freezes down there also. We go down the the McAllen, Tx area and last winter the water lines froze in January. I do not have the under the floor type heat as mine is still vented and am considering trading for one that has that type so was wondering if they do a better job.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have the Aqua-Hot and wouldn't ever dream of having a coach with out it. When I'm "plugged up" at a camp ground I switch over to the electric side of the AH to keep from using my diesel fuel. I have two (2) 110V switches for my AH and it provides plenty of heat and hot water for our use. I've been in outside temps of 17* and the coach was set, and held 72*, with out a hitch.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #8

I would never own a coach without it. I don't know much about living in deep freeze temperatures, fortunately, but there has to be a problem if you are not keeping warm.
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
As a $10,000+ option, it ought to be better than a $500 furnace!!
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks to all of you for the feed back. I think I will trade mine off for on with a better Aqua Hot system.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergrogan View Post
I have a 2008 Country Coach but with zoned heating but it is not in the floor as some of them have. Mine has side vents which provide the blower heat. I was wondering if the under the floor type do a better job?

It's not "under the floor." The vents are at floor level. The only thing I have that is in or under floor...are heated tile floors.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

I don't have the heated tile floors and I feel there in lies the problem. My next one will have that option.