Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Are flex-fuel vehicles more efficient than ordinary gasoline-powered?

No they are not, for pickups anyway. This from MSN.com should be enlightening: Most fuel-efficient pickups of 2013 - MSN Autos Chevrolet's Silverado pickup is #1 on the list, but it gets 6 MPG less on E85 than regular gasoline, while costing $460 more annually to run on E85.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
As I see it, flex fuel vehicles only allow you to run E?? without damaging the car. I own a Chevy HHR and have run E85 in it a few times. Mileage is terrible.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Ethanol has about half the energy of gasoline, so mileage is always going to suffer - unless you really crank up the compression ratio to take advantage of alcohol's anti-knock properties - even then you aren't likely to get the mileage back.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
E-85 has become a little more attractive to me when it runs 60 cents a gallon less than regular.
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Made the mistake of fueling up with 40% in my V-10 Dodge in Ohio.
Nothing worse that the sound of 10 pistons trying to swap holes , when you have 10,000 lbs in tow . 6 tanks of premium to get things back to normal.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The more ethanol in the fuel, the lower the heat or energy content. Thus it takes more fuel to get the same energy which results in lower fuel economy. The American public was sold a bill of goods by our leaders. The corn farmers and the ethanol producers love the subsidies from the government.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Had one Chevy 5.3 liter with an E85 engine. Did not pay to burn the E85 fuel. Almost as bad an engine as the old 1980's GMC Diesel engines. We have a state law here in Missouri that requires 10% ethanol in the gasoline. So happy the government is looking out for my car.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

E85 is cheaper but terribly inefficient.
But, somebody has to pay the price of saving the planet. I elected to not take part in that corner of the fiasco.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
the 10% ethanol is to reduce emissions, especially in the winter. It has the added benefit of pulling the water out of your fuel system.

Out here in California, they opted for MTBE, and ARCO patented product (so they didn't have to ship any California money back to those midwest farmers) and although it performed the same in the engine, and takes up with water the same, it's extremely toxic compared to ethanol, and so now the groundwater is contaminated with it all over the state. It even ended up in reservoirs due to it being used as 2-stroke fuel (where a lot of raw fuel goes out the exhaust).
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It seems some of you are questioning the decision making of the EPA !?!?!
How dare you !

but we do need the FULL story about how badly corrosive ethanol is !
some have stated how much less power, mpg, etc...
but also,
how it cost more to mfg our cars to handle it..
how it will ruin older cars...

another fallacy in saying something like this :
electric vehicles get 100 eMPG and NOT taking into account
the cost/energy used to create the electricity...
the terribly toxic battery manufacturing and disposal...
the precious metals used in making them...
the future replacement cost in 5 or 10 years...
the toxic and electrical hazards to occupants and first responders in the case of accidents...

we only hear the 'good' side of their 'justification'

glad you didn't hit a hot button for me - going out to price my battery operated 40 foot pusher with the backup e85 engine and generator now
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
E-85 has become a little more attractive to me when it runs 60 cents a gallon less than regular.
Whats your mileage reduction with E-85? Around here, it's about 10% cheaper, but I measure 17% less fuel economy on a vehicle that was tuned for it.

I'm not a fan of E85, but I do applaud the government for trying to do something...

If you put E85 in a vehicle not tuned for it, you'll have power loss. On vehicles that are tuned for it or are designed to run on it, power should be about the same - the loss of fuel energy is made up by burning more fuel and by advancing the timing as E85 doesn't detonate as easily.

On turbo cars, you can get a lot of power out of E85....

Interesting stuff, not very practical currently.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Not flex fuel

If your interested in less cost and green fuel, look into CNG “ compressed natural gas” it is not produced just compressed from any utility line. Home or commercial. The cost to have installed in new pickups is about $9,000 to $12,000. I think. I am not sure but I think it can be added to diesel to cut cost you would have to do your own research. My F150 bifuel gets 15 mpg on both gas and CNG but I only run a tank of gas through every half year. To keep the gas injectors clean. If you would like check cngchat.com for information. I will be leaving for CA from MI on June 10 and will give you my cost for fuel when I arrive. Check on the 500 dollar question in the RVing on a budget on or about June 17.
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Id love to see a "study" of actually how much pollution is emitted from the same vehicle going the same distance using good ole gasoline, then the 10% ethanol and then the E85

Beings more fuel gets burned when using the "green" fuels...I'd almost bet the total pollutants are higher as well.

The stuffed white shirt know it alls have done it again to us.....just like the silly "green" light bulbs

lets all be realistic....if we were so truly worried about being green...there wouldn't be RV's in our driveways
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
E85 has about 72% of the energy of straight gasoline. So, if it costs more than about 70% of the price of gasoline, it's no bargain.

On the other hand, E85 has an octane rating of about 110, according to the hot rod experts. It's a great fuel if you want to run a supercharger on your hot rod. Immensely cheaper than race gas.

Trucking to support the cats.
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote