Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #57
laj

Mr. D I wish you and yours all the best, and hope for the outcome you hope for given the circumstances you were given.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #58

Here's a little bit of my story. In 2008 I was laid off from my full time working for a small lumber mill. Fast forward to 2012 and my former employer has shut his door. Two new people have bought the company and are going to reopen up the company under a different name.
Since 2008 I have worked for 2 different school districts, 2 different churches, 7up, a maintenance company, a friend who has a carpet store, and now in retail. In 2010 I was working close to 67 hours a week. I was cleaning 40 hours at a school, 18 hours at a church, 6 hours on weekends at 7 up and 3 hours mowing lawn during the summer. As you can see I was physically and emotionally burned out from working too many hours to try and support my family. Now to 2012 i can work up to 50 hours in a week working at retail and cleaning a church. Again I'm trying to support my family and I'm physically and emotionally burned out again. If I knew I could support my family on my one part time job cleaning church I would but my wife and I know we can't because we have bills to pay. My wife does work. The last time I had a vacation was in 2008. I get days off during the week but I really could use a week to two weeks off to recover. I don't know what is the answer but I don't see the economy ever turning around.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Enough with blaming the "recession" for everyone's woes. Anyone I know who wants to work is working. Some people will always find an excuse for their own (or others) condition.[/QUOTE]

Agree! Folks there are plenty of jobs! Having fortunately lived for many decades and through many so called "recessions". Having lost "it" all and started again and again with little or nothing somehow the motivation to be successful preserved. DW and I are now retired and living well. If no on is aware the US economy is now " a world economy". True, education is knowledge but if "do overs" existed the focus would be not on a so called college education but technical learning directed at my personal level of life skill or skills. Sadly or education system in the good old USA is obsolete we need to compete globally!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Enough with blaming the "recession" for everyone's woes. Anyone I know who wants to work is working. Some people will always find an excuse for their own (or others) condition.

Agree! Folks there are plenty of jobs! Having fortunately lived for many decades and through many so called "recessions". Having lost "it" all and started again and again with little or nothing somehow the motivation to be successful preserved. DW and I are now retired and living well. If no on is aware the US economy is now " a world economy". True, education is knowledge but if "do overs" existed the focus would be not on a so called college education but technical learning directed at my personal level of life skill or skills. Sadly or education system in the good old USA is obsolete we need to compete globally! [/QUOTE]

Agreed: college education in years past would get you a job, not today, the trade schools are where to go folks, colledge grads don't want to get their hands dirty, the trades are where the jobs are.
I worked with the college grade groupe; most didn't know how to check the oil in their car or put air in their tires. mow their own grass? had no idea how to start a lawn mower. the list goes on and on. I"m not refering to all (just most) they could calculate the gravety on the moon, but replaceing a fan belt on a car; most didn't know what a fan belt was.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #61
laj

That's why even in the best of times there is 4 percent that will never work. I say let em starve,
Great work incentive if that get a little hungry
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I may have to join them depending on what's going on with my wife! Very sick and being tested for liver/pancreas cancer now. Doing an ultrasound tomorrow. Blood work done a couple days ago. Now waiting for the results through the Dr.
Won't be able to keep both the MH and stick house without her income.
Hopefully all will work out in the end. We will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I agree that there are some out there who are just plain "lost" and may never get their act straight, but that is a small % of the homeless population. There's not much we can do for them when it comes to jobs, etc.

What bothers me is the unfeeling snobs here who have their noses stuck up so high that they can't see the real picture. As one who was knocked out of the job market due to injury/illness, I'm very disheartened with that sector of this community.

Furthermore, to the poster wishing for higher fuel prices....My rig may be "junk" to you, but your statement reads like something a jerk would write. I hope I never meet some of these posters.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #64

Folks all have some very fine points. The truth is there are 3 kinds of people.
Those that make things happen.
Those that watch things happen.
Those that wonder what happend.
Pick where you belong and go forward.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #65

I was in a forest service campground once; was approched by a man asking for a hand out, camper next to me told the man that they were hireing ornge pickers down the road and were paying $7.50 an hour. His answer----I wouldn't work for no stinking $7.50 an hour. Do you think I gave this guy anything? yeh sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #66

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I briefly scanned this thread. There's a difference between homeless and "homeless". Most "homeless" choose to be for whatever reason...usually drunk and lazy. While the ever increasing homeless population are not. They have fallen into severe financial situations for various reasons (MANY due to the economy).

We are examples of the later. While we are not homeless (yet), there is very good chance we will be full timing in our old girl within a year...due to the economy. Thanks to the last 4 yrs., neither my wife or I have had a raise (yes, we both still work), our savings is almost depleted to pay bills (despite cutting almost all non-essentials), and will likely loose our house within the next year. So before you categorize all the homeless, take the time to understand the situation. You might be joining us.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
I briefly scanned this thread. There's a difference between homeless and "homeless". Most "homeless" choose to be for whatever reason...usually drunk and lazy. While the ever increasing homeless population are not. They have fallen into severe financial situations for various reasons (MANY due to the economy).

We are examples of the later. While we are not homeless (yet), there is very good chance we will be full timing in our old girl within a year...due to the economy. Thanks to the last 4 yrs., neither my wife or I have had a raise (yes, we both still work), our savings is almost depleted to pay bills (despite cutting almost all non-essentials), and will likely loose our house within the next year. So before you categorize all the homeless, take the time to understand the situation. You might be joining us.
There are a lot of people in your situation. Last month 386,000 NEW people filed for unemployment. 186,000 homes were foreclosed on.

Where are all those families going to go? If they can't afford a mortgage they can't afford rent. The 386,000 out of work will soon find themselves losing their homes. This can't go on much longer it's been 6 years now.

I had to let my dream home go back to the bank a couple of years ago but I was lucky to have an investment home to move into. A lot of others aren't so lucky. One bad move or one bad turn of events can put anyone on the street.

I wish you luck as I do all the others that are struggling to survive in this mess.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post

WOW............Is it still really that bad? I heard, thought, and assumed it was getting better. Wish you all lots of luck. I know up here it's a lot slower too. I am in the manufacturing and service industry and with the U.S. economy being bad and the CDN DOLLAR at par, there is a lot less exporting of finished goods happening.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My two cents worth !!!! We should be ever so thankful, that we are not walking in the shoes of the homeless, for whatever their reason for being in that situation. "You don't kick a person when they are down on their luck". Try to be a little more understanding.
If a person walked into a church with worn and dirty clothes, would you tell that person to leave ? If your answer is Yes !!! then "YOU" need to ask GOD what he would do.
I do agree, there are those who will never try to improve their lifestyle. A good rule of thumb!! "Judge not, least you will be judged".
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #70

12 years ago this country had a surplus, nation debt = 0 unemployment %5.
HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. what happened ??
Lets just blame it on China and their cheep products.

Life is full of choises; those that chose wisely, do well, those that don't, not so good.
There are those that to no fault of their own have health problems, those I feel sorry for.
those that make bad choise after bad choise, I have little sympathy for.
Closed Thread