Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
There are those that to no fault of their own have health problems, those I feel sorry for.
those that make bad choice after bad choice, I have little sympathy for.
I agree x2.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #72

Pond Piggies Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmugsshow View Post
I agree that there are some out there who are just plain "lost" and may never get their act straight, but that is a small % of the homeless population. There's not much we can do for them when it comes to jobs, etc.

What bothers me is the unfeeling snobs here who have their noses stuck up so high that they can't see the real picture. As one who was knocked out of the job market due to injury/illness, I'm very disheartened with that sector of this community.

Furthermore, to the poster wishing for higher fuel prices....My rig may be "junk" to you, but your statement reads like something a jerk would write. I hope I never meet some of these posters.
X2
My son has been unemployed for 4 years. He has a degree in computer technology but applies for anything that is available. For every job, even part time minimum wage jobs, that he applies for he is competing with several hundred other people. If he applies for jobs in his field he is not hired because of a lack of experience. If he applies at McDonalds he's not hired because he has more education than the current manager. If he wasn't living in my FIL's former home rent free his family would be homeless.
I wonder if those who are trashing the less fortunate are those business owners who have laid off employees in order to maintain their own high level of living.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
The problem with being homeless, is you are looked down on by many, if not most. Due to unfortunate circumstances your lot in life is changed. Then whether you are truly at fault somehow, or simply a victim, you are regarded as less of a person. Unless you have a big fancy RV, then you are a fulltimer. And as such you somehow better than the rest.
I don't think this is a very American or Christian way to view those less fortunate. Or those more fortunate.
Amen! It's almost always those who have the most who look down on those who have the least.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #74

Sad to see that gratuitous stereotyping of the less talented/less fortunate/poor gene recipients is alive and well.

I guess some of it comes about because people posting anonymously are free to spout forth whatever they feel will get a laugh without much fear of repercussions, but some of it must be because they are so un-wordly-wise, so unseeing, so immune that they truly believe that everyone is born equal with equal talents, equal intelligence, equal upbringing, equal parenting and equal environment.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Agree completely. If they wanted a job, they could find one. Who says if you were making 50k a yr. that's still what your entitled to? Entitlement attitude is why some cant find a job they think they deserve.
So you feel anyone can go out there and get a minimum wage job and live on it? Support a family on it? Pay the rents charged these days, pay for groceries and utilities, clothing and health Ins on $6 or $7 an hour? On what planet? Certainly not this one.

Quote:
By poor previous choices and living above their means is what put them in their current position.
They deserve what they got, just like the ones who planned well and are now driving nice coaches are getting what they have worked for and deserve.
Poor choices? Who chooses to be born or become physically ill or disabled or mentally ill or to be born with a learning disability? No one I ever met chose or planned for those things. There are many reasons people lose what they have and it's not always due to poor choices. Accidents happen. Well paid jobs may be lost. Family responsibility interferes. Serious disease is diagnosed. Medical bills become suffocating.

As for those who planned well.... are you saying they planned to not become ill or disabled, not become mentally ill and to be born without learning disorders? How does one plan for that good fortune? And you seem to be forgetting how many INHERIT a good bit of their wealth from their parents and sometimes even their grandparents. I know more than a few people, whether they deserve it or not who became financially well off, very well off, because they inherited money or property from their family.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #76

I work in emergency services and I have seen first hand, the homeless situation. Yes they are homeless, yes they are jobless, yes Burger King had openings, so do other places. There is a shortage of high paying jobs, not jobs in general.
This is not true for 100% of the homeless population, obviously. However, for those that are willing and able to work, they should not be so "proud" that a minimum wage job would be unacceptable.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #77
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

So you feel anyone can go out there and get a minimum wage job and live on it? Support a family on it? Pay the rents charged these days, pay for groceries and utilities, clothing and health Ins on $6 or $7 an hour? On what planet? Certainly not this one.

Poor choices? Who chooses to be born or become physically ill or disabled or mentally ill or to be born with a learning disability? No one I ever met chose or planned for those things. There are many reasons people lose what they have and it's not always due to poor choices. Accidents happen. Well paid jobs may be lost. Family responsibility interferes. Serious disease is diagnosed. Medical bills become suffocating.

As for those who planned well.... are you saying they planned to not become ill or disabled, not become mentally ill and to be born without learning disorders? How does one plan for that good fortune? And you seem to be forgetting how many INHERIT a good bit of their wealth from their parents and sometimes even their grandparents. I know more than a few people, whether they deserve it or not who became financially well off, very well off, because they inherited money or property from their family.
Yes, they CAN live on minimum wage jobs. And who said they can't have 2 jobs? Yes, short of a major injury they can choose their health. If you choose to suck on nicotine then you will likely get lung or some other type of cancer. One can choose 90 percent of their destination.
Yes it is about choices. Your choices dictate the outcome.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #78
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie
My two cents worth !!!! We should be ever so thankful, that we are not walking in the shoes of the homeless, for whatever their reason for being in that situation. "You don't kick a person when they are down on their luck". Try to be a little more understanding.
If a person walked into a church with worn and dirty clothes, would you tell that person to leave ? If your answer is Yes !!! then "YOU" need to ask GOD what he would do.
I do agree, there are those who will never try to improve their lifestyle. A good rule of thumb!! "Judge not, least you will be judged".
So now this thread is going religious?
Ooooook the man who will not work does not deserve to eat. That's there too
Also after the first community garden in the new world was planted there was a sign posted there:
No work no eat.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFireMedic View Post
I work in emergency services and I have seen first hand, the homeless situation. Yes they are homeless, yes they are jobless, yes Burger King had openings, so do other places. There is a shortage of high paying jobs, not jobs in general.
This is not true for 100% of the homeless population, obviously. However, for those that are willing and able to work, they should not be so "proud" that a minimum wage job would be unacceptable.
Places like Burger King will not hire the homeless. No one will hire someone with no address or phone number who is living on the streets (or in an RV in a parking lot somewhere). People who cannot always be fresh shaven or bathed and in clean presentable clothes. If I went in a store for a burger and someone with body odor, needing a shave and in soiled wrinkled clothing waited on me... I would be out the door before you can say Jack Frost and would YOU!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since the O.P. asked about "homeless fulltimers" I really have to ask:

If you're living in an RV, isn't THAT your home????
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #81

Quote:
So now this thread is going religious?
Ooooook the man who will not work does not deserve to eat. That's there too
Also after the first community garden in the new world was planted there was a sign posted there:
No work no eat.
Maybe you can start some kind of business where you only hire the homeless despite their lack of clean clothing, clean showered body, a decent haircut and a clean shaven face. People with no address and no phone number. Would you proudly allow them to serve the public in your business?

Don't bother to answer because I know you wouldn't hire them.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Since the O.P. asked about "homeless RVers" I really have to ask:

If you're living in an RV, isn't THAT your home????
Those RVs have no sewer hookups, no electricity or gas and no running water. That would make it hard to shower and do laundry. They're basically a little better than a cardboard box. A woman who once worked here in a local feed store lived in one of them. Very sad. She was barely surviving on the minimum wage job w/no benefits.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #83

Quote:
Yes, they CAN live on minimum wage jobs. And who said they can't have 2 jobs? Yes, short of a major injury they can choose their health. If you choose to suck on nicotine then you will likely get lung or some other type of cancer. One can choose 90 percent of their destination.
Choose their health? What planet do you come from?

My 26 year old daughter has cancer.
Did she choose it? She will die within 2 years. Thousands of people get sick everyday and they don't choose their health. Did they choose their destination? There are many good people on this forum that have health issues and will die from them. So according to YOU they deserve it?

Maybe you are rich and healthy but not everyone is that fortunate. Are YOU living on a minimum wage job? I doubt it. Your post makes me sick.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #84

Quote:
Yes, they CAN live on minimum wage jobs. And who said they can't have 2 jobs?
How about you try working 16 hrs a day and see how long you last? And no, unless someone pays to move them to rural Mississippi or the back hills of Utah, they cannot live on $16 hr. You must be living in the past when bread was .20 a loaf and rents were in the $30 mo range.

Quote:
Yes, short of a major injury they can choose their health. If you choose to suck on nicotine then you will likely get lung or some other type of cancer. One can choose 90 percent of their destination.
You've got to be kidding me! These homeless people and those living in old RVs from parking lot to parking lot can't afford $7 to $9 for a pack of cigarettes. BTW, you may not know this, but not all cancer is caused by smoking and that goes for other serious disease as well.

Closed Thread