Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #85
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB

Choose their health? What planet do you come from?

My 26 year old daughter has cancer.
Did she choose it? She will die within 2 years. Thousands of people get sick everyday and they don't choose their health. Did they choose their destination? There are many good people on this forum that have health issues and will die from them. So according to YOU they deserve it?

Maybe you are rich and healthy but not everyone is that fortunate. Are YOU living on a minimum wage job? I doubt it. Your post makes me sick.
Do some reading starting with the SG's thoughts, then the ACI, AMA's, DF, and ADA just for starters. I didn't say all cancers, but can cut the odds way in your favor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #86

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
WOW............Is it still really that bad? I heard, thought, and assumed it was getting better. Wish you all lots of luck. I know up here it's a lot slower too. I am in the manufacturing and service industry and with the U.S. economy being bad and the CDN DOLLAR at par, there is a lot less exporting of finished goods happening.
The ACTUAL unemployment rate is 14.7% here in the US. That's the U-6 rate which includes these that got discouraged and gave up, underemployed (that's me) and those that went back to school.

Guess I should add: my son lost his job yesterday and their fourth child is due on Monday by C-section. That's our 10th grandchild too.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #87
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

How about you try working 16 hrs a day and see how long you last? And no, unless someone pays to move them to rural Mississippi or the back hills of Utah, they cannot live on $16 hr. You must be living in the past when bread was .20 a loaf and rents were in the $30 mo range.

You've got to be kidding me! These homeless people and those living in old RVs from parking lot to parking lot can't afford $7 to $9 for a pack of cigarettes. BTW, you may not know this, but not all cancer is caused by smoking and that goes for other serious disease as well.
I work on average between 75, and 80 hrs. a week. Do your own math, 16 times 176, and you have 2816 a month, or 33,792 a yr. way above poverty level. But the key is one must be willing to work!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I work on average between 75, and 80 hrs. a week. Do your own math, 16 times 176, and you have 2816 a month, or 33,792 a yr. way above poverty level. But the key is one must be willing to work!
Then you are a miracle man/woman because I don't know one adult who could work 80hrs a week for a lifetime, or even for more than a few years at most. Tell us how you manage during the few hours you're not at work, to do your shopping, cooking, house cleaning, laundry, help the kids with homework, get haircuts, buy clothing etc. Even in my youth I could never work that many hours and keep my health. Stop assuming everyone has your miraculous health, your inhuman stamina, your ability to find minimum wage jobs that hire those with no address or phone and your ability to run a household on the few hours you are not at your low-wage job. Oh,... and when do you get to sleep?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #89
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

Then you are a miracle man/woman because I don't know one adult who could work 80hrs a week for a lifetime, or even for more than a few years at most. Tell us how you manage during the few hours you're not at work, to do your shopping, cooking, house cleaning, laundry, help the kids with homework, get haircuts, buy clothing etc. Even in my youth I could never work that many hours and keep my health. Stop assuming everyone has your miraculous health, your inhuman stamina, your ability to find minimum wage jobs that hire those with no address or phone and your ability to run a household on the few hours you are not at your low-wage job. Oh,... and when do you get to sleep?
My dear old daddy use to say you don't have to attend every argument your invited to.
There are many people/ professions that work that many hrs. Many good honest hard working people out there. But I'm choosing not to attend this argument any further.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The ACTUAL unemployment rate is 14.7% here in the US. That's the U-6 rate which includes these that got discouraged and gave up, underemployed (that's me) and those that went back to school.

Guess I should add: my son lost his job yesterday and their fourth child is due on Monday by C-section. That's our 10th grandchild too.
Some people live in the Twilight Zone and don't realize that even minimum wage jobs draw numerous applicants. You can't just walk down the Ave, apply at some greasy spoon or gas station and get hired. They have stacks of applications already. Yours just goes to the bottom. I've seen what people here are against. Sometimes a 100 people will apply for 2 or 3 openings for even a poor paying job. It's galling when someone far out in left field claims those seeking work don't really want jobs... but would rather lose their homes, cars, apts, pets and everything they own as did my friend who worked at Wal*Mart. Her age, health and the ever changing schedule prevented her from taking a second minimum wage job. I can only hope those who belittle these unfortunate souls end up in the same place themselves.

If this lack of jobs continues there will be more and more people living in old RVs and tents in CGs.

I hope all goes well with the child and his or her mother.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #91

Quote:
My dear old daddy use to say you don't have to attend every argument your invited to.
There are many people/ professions that work that many hrs. Many good honest hard working people out there. But I'm choosing not to attend this argument any further.
Of course. You were unable to explain how anyone working an 80 hr week can actually have a life of any kind unless they could afford to hire housekeepers, baby sitters, cooks etc. and still find a few hours to sleep.

And as we both know, those non-professional minimum wage people you say should work several jobs can't afford those things.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK Folks. Please keep on topic and refrain from personal attacks. Let's move along, please.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #93

Hence why I work 4 jobs, I make slightly above minimum wage. If I can find 4 jobs, some should be able to find one!
Just saying...
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #94

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
The OP stated just that the folks trashed the toilet facilities. Maybe it's a stretch, but I don't believe we need another govt program to teach people basic clean and courtesy. The answer of gov building and giving all the time is what gets us to where we are.
Well said.
There is an area a few miles north of me that is a Gov/HUD project. My question is how do they afford to drive the Cadillac's, Lincoln's & Mercedes that sit in there parking area . Great Government Program
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Of course. You were unable to explain how anyone working an 80 hr week can actually have a life of any kind unless they could afford to hire housekeepers, baby sitters, cooks etc. and still find a few hours to sleep.

And as we both know, those non-professional minimum wage people you say should work several jobs can't afford those things.
RanCarr
I worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for six years, went to school 4 hours at night, I wasn't the only one that did it, if you want something you work for it, you don't set around and wait for some one to hand it to you.
There are 24 hours in a day,
Old saying:
cut bait
fish or get off the boat
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Places like Burger King will not hire the homeless. No one will hire someone with no address or phone number who is living on the streets (or in an RV in a parking lot somewhere). People who cannot always be fresh shaven or bathed and in clean presentable clothes. If I went in a store for a burger and someone with body odor, needing a shave and in soiled wrinkled clothing waited on me... I would be out the door before you can say Jack Frost and would YOU!
No excuse for being dirty and unshaven; the salvation army and many like them have places for the homeless to go so they can bath shave and wash their cloths.
there is no excuse for being dirty and unshaven; they even have places that feed and let the homeless stay overnight.
"Most" that stay on the street are there by choise.
As a last resort; and I do mean last resort, there is public housing food stamps and welfare.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
RanCarr
I worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for six years, went to school 4 hours at night, I wasn't the only one that did it, if you want something you work for it, you don't set around and wait for some one to hand it to you.
There are 24 hours in a day,
Old saying:
cut bait
fish or get off the boat
I understand some people can live with little sleep, can afford baby sitters and house keepers/cooks/laundresses, health Ins, rent, utilities, school and school supplies etc. on minimum wage jobs - or so they claim. Most can't, as these jobs simply don't pay enough.

And as someone else said in so many words, just because YOU did it, doesn't mean everyone else can. Not everyone has perfect health and boundless energy and can manage on almost no sleep. Not everyone has the same IQ, the same income, the same opportunities and are in the same situation.

Tell us how you managed it and still cooked, cleaned, shopped, did your laundry, parented your children and took care of the other necessities of life working 70 hrs a week plus school. Maybe someone out there will read it and it will help them do the same. You wouldn't have been single at the time were you? Still living at home maybe? Had a wife to do all the drudgery like cooking and shopping etc. giving you the time to work 7 days a week, 70 hrs a week plus all that time in school?

As for your bait comment. I can't believe you think people are giving up everything they worked for in their lives because they WANT to, rather than hold a job. Do you realize that many of them are holding a min' wage job? That they don't want to live in tents and old RVs.... where did you get that idea from they wont work?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #98

We see beggars all the time anymore. All over Vegas, Denver and any big city. They hang around our local walmart with cardboard signs. Some of these people were begging before the so called resession, and will be after it is gone.about everyone of them has a cell phone, and most have a smart phone of some kind. This is a business to them and some are very good at it. Last spring me and the wife drove into a nice restaurant in Vegas in a almost new corvette. A gentleman comes up and tell us that my turn single was not working on the rear when we pulled in off of tropacana bullivard. Then he tells us he and his wife are hungry, and if I will give home some money he will walk over to a mcdonalds next door where his wife is waiting and eat. He's says you watch me, I am not going to a liquor store for a bottle of cheap wine. So I give him a twenty and the wife says let's watch him. He goes straight to MIcky D's. May of we went out the other side, who knows. 2 weeks later we were driving down trop and there he was in the same seafood restaurant parking lot waiting for his next victim. So this guy has a job, and is very good at it. He was nicely dressed, and very polite. And lord only knows how much he can take in on a good day. I dought this guy was homeless!