Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I continue to pray for those that are homeless and hungry, in this great nation we have to stick together and resolve issues. The blame game some of you folks play will get us no where fast. Looking at the history of our nation, you should recognize that we are now mainly a consumer for the countries that we have outsourced our jobs to-this is the reason why unemployment is high and will remain so, no matter who is in charge! MADE IN AMERICA is done and gone and that didn't happen over the last four years and un-employment will be a constant problem until we bring these jobs back to our shores.

I am not an Internet guy and this is the first non sports related forum that I have joined. I figured this would be a great place to learn more about a great lifestyle that the DW and I really enjoy. Go ahead and pick a side and blame whoever you want but please don't ruin this great forum by killing the OP's post with your political rants.

To answer the OP's question, yes I have notice an increased number of homeless in the CG's and rest stops. I was approached by a homeless couple at a rest stop looking for work cleaning RV and Truck windshields. We talked over a quick lunch and they told me that the city governments are getting tougher on the homeless and forcing them out of downtown areas to the outskirts of most cities. This could be one of many reasons why we see them more during our travels.

GOD BLESS ALL OF AMERICA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
It doesn't take money or a job to know how to flush a toilet or pick up your own mess. These people are just flat out pigs who don't give a s#!t (no pun intended) which may partially explain why they are in the state they are in.

Enough with blaming the "recession" for everyone's woes. Anyone I know who wants to work is working. Some people will always find an excuse for their own (or others) condition.

I have never figured out the correlation between poor, and dumping garbage in the front yard.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #17

I have been broke my self. Three times in fact. I thought I would feel rich if I could go to McDonalds and order anything I wanted. I have painted the house I lived in to pay my rent. I have always been able to find some kind of job doing something even though I might not like it at the time. I am 74 now and I have never have and never will stand on the corner with a paper cup with a sign saying anything will help. I have done every thing from wash dishes and shovel S to shovel dirt and lay pipe on new house construction sites. I now own 3 businesses and yes I did build those my self. There is always a job of some kind out there if you are willing to work instead of giving up and letting the gov. (you and I) pay your way. Use your unemployment or welfare check to buy a lawn mower or a snow shovel and get to work doing something. Or just be a lazy bum. I prefer to work. That is what this country is about an opportunity to work and get ahead. Be a bum somewhere else.

You own an RV, that tells me you or someone in your family must have chosen to work also. Congratulations on your choice to get ahead in life.
Have a great life you earned it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #18

There was a time not to long ago that the C.O.E. had a few free campgrounds around their dams and lakes; I"ve stayed at a few. They don't have any now; why? because they were trashed; You don"t have to guess by whom. The free places are getting harder and harder to find, for a short overnight stop for a couple hours sleep or rest; its becomming a thing of the past. realy sad that a few spoil it for every one. I just can't figure out why these folks are so trashie. (not all) just most.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #19

A Men
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We have met some wonderful people in the RV world, but have sure met a bunch of snobs too. You have no freakin idea what its like till your life crashes around your feet. We had planned to buy a motorhome in the future, but were sorta forced into it before we were ready. I was set to work for a while after getting social security, but....

Seeing the need to downsize, we moved into a 1 bdrm apt and things looked good till I fell and broke ribs and punctured a lung. At that time I was found to have chronic COPD and had to give up my job. (DW can't work per doc's orders and does not qualify for disability). All of the sudden we were unable to afford the few bills we had....first went cable/internet service. Things were still tight eventho we cut every corner, including limited use of the A/C in the Az summer heat. Rent was the next thing to be considered and we went to work selling off all our household stuff, including lots of antiques.

We put DW's car up for sale/trade for an RV. After some looking and several rejections (by us) for trades, we found what is now our home. (We kept the old work van for now). We have learned to live on my small social security, but would have lost everything if we had not made the move when we did.

We now park on a 1/3 acre space out of town. Its no resort, nor GC, but we can afford it and are pleased to have it. By pinching a few pennies, we are able to save a few bucks each month and (along with money from selling antiques) by spring we should should have a nice fund to cover a trip (and emergencies) to Oregon to see DW's family.

I hope none of you ever have to go thru watching the crap hit the fan as we did. Then on the other hand....maybe you wouldn't look down your nose at our rigs that aren't as big and new as yours.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by resindiana View Post
I have been broke my self. Three times in fact. I thought I would feel rich if I could go to McDonalds and order anything I wanted. I have painted the house I lived in to pay my rent. I have always been able to find some kind of job doing something even though I might not like it at the time. I am 74 now and I have never have and never will stand on the corner with a paper cup with a sign saying anything will help. I have done every thing from wash dishes and shovel S to shovel dirt and lay pipe on new house construction sites. I now own 3 businesses and yes I did build those my self. There is always a job of some kind out there if you are willing to work instead of giving up and letting the gov. (you and I) pay your way. Use your unemployment or welfare check to buy a lawn mower or a snow shovel and get to work doing something. Or just be a lazy bum. I prefer to work. That is what this country is about an opportunity to work and get ahead. Be a bum somewhere else.

You own an RV, that tells me you or someone in your family must have chosen to work also. Congratulations on your choice to get ahead in life.
Have a great life you earned it.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. My mother died when I was 3, my father when I was 10. I was raised by my father's second wife. I make no excuses for myself. I am 61 and nearing retirement, selling my portion of a business and finally slowing down a bit. I started working in 8th grade and have had some kind of a job ever since. Some good some not so good. Only government check on my behalf was a widow support check my step mom used to get for me. There is work out there but nobody is going to take you by the hand and give it to you. You have to look for it. And by the way last time I checked it didn't cost a lot to take a bath and clean up after yourself.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
Well said. I couldn't agree more. My mother died when I was 3, my father when I was 10. I was raised by my father's second wife. I make no excuses for myself. I am 61 and nearing retirement, selling my portion of a business and finally slowing down a bit. I started working in 8th grade and have had some kind of a job ever since. Some good some not so good. Only government check on my behalf was a widow support check my step mom used to get for me. There is work out there but nobody is going to take you by the hand and give it to you. You have to look for it. And by the way last time I checked it didn't cost a lot to take a bath and clean up after yourself.

Yup, and us oldsters came up in times when there were jobs to be had. Things are different today.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, we have seen more folks forced into RVs. We camp at a lot of state parks around this great a land and most of them have a 2 week stay limit. It used to be no problem to extend your stay beyond two weeks. No more! The state parks are becoming very strict about this to avoid folks trying to live there.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Join the workforce? You haven't heard about the awful job situation out there? Where have you been these past few years? Who will hire someone homeless who is unable to bathe or wear clean clothes? Someone who has no address or phone number? Who will hire them? Would your place of business hire them, if so, to do what and what would the pay be? Who will hire them when even those with educations, still living in homes and apartments and out of unemployment checks can't find jobs?

This is why there is at least 3 pages of "help wanted" in the daily newspaper?

Sometimes we must grab the bull by the horns if we want to succeed..the bull sure isn't going to hand us that horn!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #25

I was talking to my grandfather many years ago, and you know what>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They were discussing the exact same thing 70 years ago.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so you know... The government's definition of "Homeless" includes all the Full Timers out there at least in many states.. So the fact that I live in my car,,, all 38 feet of it, Means that I'm legally "Homeless" don't you know.

That said, Some campgrounds do seem to be filling with long-term campers. And I've run into a few who were in borrowed trailers because the bank took the house.

The bank took MY house too.. but with my blessing.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I find that any place that offers free camping (forestry land, provincial park, vacant land) usually gets trashed and left in ruins by the low lifes of the world. A lot of these low lifes have great well paying full time jobs. They are just naturally slobs.

On our recent cross country trip my wife and I became friends with a homeless guy and his dogs while we were Wallydocking in Moses Lake. he was a great dude to chat with and he was very thankful when we gave him a couple of sleeping bags we carried with us but seldom if ever used.

He was living out of his car and his biggest concern was what would happen to his dogs if he was forced to go into the only retirement home that he qualified for and they didn't allow dogs, hence the homelessness. Not all homeless are lazy and not all lazies are homeless.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks,

iRV2's rules are quite specific regarding political posts and many have been in violation of the rules.

Closed Thread