Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Are there more homeless full timers?

The last time I camped at Davis bayou ocean springs La. The campground was more than half filled with homeless; most liveing in tents. Any else one notice this trend?
The campground as a whole was clean with no trash scattered about.
However the shower and restrooms were another story; toilets were not flushed and full of "stuff"; the floors were littered with all kinds of papers and "stuff'
I would never get in a shower that was this dirty.
Any one else notice campgrounds beginning to house more homeless?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Any yet our government insists the economy is improving.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

I got a call from my brother yesterday; (he lives in California) he was up in Oregon, he said on his way up there he passed several places that he has stayed in the past on his way up north. all the places (Wal marts, rest stops, etc) had posted sign that no over night parking was permited. My brother said he talked to several campground owners and they all said that they had nothing to with the ban on over night parking, they all felt that the homeless were getting old trailers and motor homes and useing Wal Marts and the rest stops to stay free.
I was up in North Carolina last year at a forest service campground, they had doubled there over night rates, I asked the ranger why? his answer (to keep the trash out) what is this country comming to? I"m going to show my age here, but I can remember when the forest service camp grounds all were free. same as the state parks, and national parks.
Can't blame the government; (The government is us folks.)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

We tend to stay in no frills (and thus lower cost) commercial parks when we are traveling since we typically park a month or more in one place. We have noticed that many of the parks we typically stay at are full or nearly full with permanent residents who appear to be living a less than affluent lifestyle. We winter in central Florida. Our neighbor there works night shift as a leo. He told me yesterday that he is responding to more than usual complaints of stealth campers and people parking in store lots where it is not allowed.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #5

Where are the homeless supposed to go? Isn't it better they find shelter in old RVs than live on the streets and in doorways, freezing to death in the winter and using alleyways for toilets? Maybe the Gov should build more low-income housing or set up Gov CGs just for the homeless. What are we to do with the growing number of homeless people and even entire families?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
maybe the govt can give them all a new RV too....oh wait that didn't work now did it, when tried before? or maybe they could join the work force in an effort to put a roof over their heads or an RV over their heads???
Join the workforce? You haven't heard about the awful job situation out there? Where have you been these past few years? Who will hire someone homeless who is unable to bathe or wear clean clothes? Someone who has no address or phone number? Who will hire them? Would your place of business hire them, if so, to do what and what would the pay be? Who will hire them when even those with educations, still living in homes and apartments and out of unemployment checks can't find jobs?

Why exaggerate and go into giving them free RVs? There is a well known shortage of low-income housing in almost every city and large town. Or do you think the homeless can just sign up at the local Employment Office and get a job paying $40,000 to $50,000 a year?

It's very understandable that the homeless will choose RVs to live in. Why not? It's better than the streets and doorways or some roach and rat infested filthy cheap room for the night. If there was enough low-income housing they wouldn't be in the streets or old RVs.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Some of us fulltimers are houseless but don't concider our selves homeless. Home is where your heart is. As to your question....it is a sign of the times, that some people must find alternative living methods. In the 1930s depression, there were no RV parks and very few formal camp grounds. The homeless gathered in Hobo camps on the edge of towns and traveled the rails. Most motorhomers are just vagabonds with money. There but for the Grace of God and circumstance.....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytut&twooie View Post
Some of us fulltimers are houseless but don't concider our selves homeless. Home is where your heart is. As to your question....it is a sign of the times, that some people must find alternative living methods. In the 1930s depression, there were no RV parks and very few formal camp grounds. The homeless gathered in Hobo camps on the edge of towns and traveled the rails. Most motorhomers are just vagabonds with money. There but for the Grace of God and circumstance.....
This is like a "depression." There are millions out of work and many who are out of unemployment checks. Some are scratching by on part-time jobs and crummy minimum wage jobs that no one can survive on forever. We see the working poor and welfare people at KOAs, private CGs and in COEs where they are forced to move every 14 days. It's sad. These are not people with money or vagabonds but people who have lost homes and apartments and are living in some really old sorry looking RVs.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
maybe the govt can give them all a new RV too....oh wait that didn't work now did it, when tried before? or maybe they could join the work force in an effort to put a roof over their heads or an RV over their heads???
Guess those jobs are in the parallel universe you live in?

Quote:
How can a person be homeless and live in an RV? Isn't the RV their home?
One Walmart we stopped at on the way up north, we were the only RV there. BUT there were several cars covered with tarpaulins with all worldly possessions outside to make room to sleep and two of the vehicles were towed in late afternoon by others. Wasn't something I expected to see in what seemed to be a prosperous area.
At Lancaster where we store the RV, we used to overnight at Walmarts the first night while we stocked up with provisions ready to head off. Last time we had to get special permission from the manager because they had banned overnight parking because there were too many "undesirables" (their description) setting up camp for long periods.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

Toss this idea around if you will:
Communes; for those that don't know what this is: its a place where every one lives together and every one has a job; such as a large farm where every one has chores and every one shares equaly, instead of putting people in public housing and just sending a welfare check every month, put these people on a farm and let them work for their food and shelter,.welfare mother (has 6 kids) make her a den mother to watch the other mothers kids while those mothers do something to support the groupe. you get the idea?
There will always those that refuse to work no madder what; I'm sure there are ideas to deal with them.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Where are the homeless supposed to go? Isn't it better they find shelter in old RVs than live on the streets and in doorways, freezing to death in the winter and using alleyways for toilets? Maybe the Gov should build more low-income housing or set up Gov CGs just for the homeless. What are we to do with the growing number of homeless people and even entire families?
The OP stated just that the folks trashed the toilet facilities. Maybe it's a stretch, but I don't believe we need another govt program to teach people basic clean and courtesy. The answer of gov building and giving all the time is what gets us to where we are.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Times are hard. If u have a job u should be glad no matter what u do. It will put food on the table. Maybe ! Where my S&B is located is a very high unemployment area I see people working two or three jobs to get by. But I also see as many not even looking for work And spending their support check from the government (what ever form it is) in the local bar while their house goes in to foreclosure. It is an individual that makes choice as to what he or she is willing to do to get by. Some have no choice situation just put them there. Government housing is not the answer. Jobs are the answer. Education is the answer. Too many people have become complacent about working because the government will come thru. If u want support/help u should have to work for it! Welwork not welfare !! We have too many that have lost hope! We need to restore it ! I agree with the CG and Wally world that are trying to keep the undesirables out. They affect their business negatively. The solution? Give people back their self respect and hope ! That is what this county needs. A positive road to follow !
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

It doesn't take money or a job to know how to flush a toilet or pick up your own mess. These people are just flat out pigs who don't give a s#!t (no pun intended) which may partially explain why they are in the state they are in.

Enough with blaming the "recession" for everyone's woes. Anyone I know who wants to work is working. Some people will always find an excuse for their own (or others) condition.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytut&twooie View Post

I just joined full time RVing out of choice. However I have found in the SoCal deserts there are cities springing up, like Slab City near the Salton Sea. May of these people have lost their homes and have taken to living in RVs out of desparation. They dn't know about the lifestye or how to make it work for them. Unless we see an improvement oi the economy I don't see these people ever getting into homes again. Especially after seeing articles on the news with apartments and condos of less than a trailers size selling for over $250K.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
Closed Thread