Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you legal or not with your concealed weapon?
Yes, have CCW. 63 52.07%
No CCW, still carry and no plans to get a CCW. 19 15.70%
No CCW, but plan to get CCW. 10 8.26%
Do not plan to carry a gun. 29 23.97%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dieselcracker...why not? All of the bad guys (BGs) already have guns.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #44

I think the armed public is larger than some think.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here. Some good folks reveal way too much informtation on these open forums. There's a guy on another forum who very proudly tells how he is hauling an 18k 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton truck...gasser.
Well, that may be stupid but it isn't actually illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Why would anyone admit to carrying illegally on a public forum?
Which leads to the question: Why would anyone start a poll and ask the question in the first place?

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #46

My oh My, How the world has changed.

Growing up in the country we all had guns and they stayed in our trucks. My buddy to this day rides with a pistol slung over the passenger seat.
hacksaw1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Which leads to the question: Why would anyone start a poll and ask the question in the first place?

Why not?

Legitimate question and obviously a popular one.

Blame it on the Heki (Dometic) escape hatch and Rv.net.

Some members over there said they liked the escape hatch so they could pop out of the roof blasting a shotgun if under attack. Got me thinking, how many Rv'ers carry guns and how many are legal.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercrust View Post
Blame it on the Heki (Dometic) escape hatch and Rv.net.

Some members over there said they liked the escape hatch so they could pop out of the roof blasting a shotgun if under attack. Got me thinking, how many Rv'ers carry guns and how many are legal.
If the RVnet members brought it up, perhaps you should be asking the question there.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Paul,

But there are still home invaders and car jackers and various and sundry criminals. The dangers are different, but they're still there.

(A couple of the latest murders here were just down the street from my house...)

liz
What is it they say? "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I served in the military and I do not carry nor do I expect to be thanked. I've seen enough blood spilled to last 3 lifetimes in what we were told was to preserve our freedom by lying politicians. Our right to bear arms is written in the bill of rights by men who were worried about a war with England and who, by the English, were branded as traitors. Those same heros died almost 150 years ago and many of the concerns they carried have since passed into history. The English are now our allies and we no longer have marauding indians and grizzly bears attacking you and your family in your hand built homestead on the edge of the western frontier nor are you considered a traitor.

Times have changed and even those who still believe the way it was, should be the way it is, have not. Not until they also have passed to history can we accept change and embrace it.
-Paul R. Haller-
I definitely respect your opinion, as we are free to have them in this great country provided for us by the blood of those hero's you spoke of. But I do take comfort in knowing that I can take measures to protect myself and my family should I need to. I also take comfort in the fact that it would be more likely that I will never need to take those measures. At the end of the day though if I am put in a position that I have to choose between any one of my families lives including myself and someone who is clearly made the decision to harm mine or their safety I will not think twice. I feel it is better to have and not use, than to need and not have!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK,,,,,, One last thought on this .....
For safety sake here is a short list of stuff I carry for my own well being..
Two fire extinguishers
One air compressor for my tires
One ''snake belt'' for my engine
One change of oil including filter
One quart of transmission fluid
One pint of brake fluid
One grease gun with extra tubes of grease
One electrical ''stuff'' box with fittings and a meter
Two cans of wasp spray ,,, various uses
One tool chest thingie with tools in it
One rechargable trouble light
One rechargable electric drill
One Mossburg shotgun
One 357 Smith Wesson
One bottle of ''Black Jack''
One six pack (in case I have to fix something)
50 gallons of fresh water
At least 30 gal of gas
At least a 3 day supply of food
A ''short stack'' of money in case they wont take Discover Card

This is a short list of stuff that I carry when we go out in the coach. These items are for EMERGENCY USE and it is my prayer that I will not need to use any of them except in an EMERGENCY when nothing else will do. The two weapons are especially for EMERGENCY USE ONLY and are a LAST RESORT ITEM.
(the six pack and the ''Jack'' are for fun and only after I put the jacks down for the night)
One other comment .... If I go somewhere (except Canada) and it is a NO guns allowed situation, I simply dismantle the guns and put parts and ammo in separate locations outside the coach, in the basement and in the toad. This way it is no longer a gun because it can not shoot.
Weapons are a tool, pure and simple, and should be used as such. JMHO

Thank you my veteran brothers for your sacrifice to this great nation.. God bless you for your service.......

I'm done.......
Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #52

Seajay, I like your logic. The problem is, too many people are not logical. That is the reason we have such a myriad of illogical and stupid laws in this country. I have seen in history accounts, the Japanese did not want to invade the western coast of California because all Americans were armed according to their information. I suppose the anti gun lobby would not believe that. But truth is truth and that can't be changed.

I would be proud to be in a Foxhole with you Seajay. I can't say that for most people.

Just my two cents worth. And it isn't worth that to most people.

Best Regards,

ROPS
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If the RVnet members brought it up, perhaps you should be asking the question there.
Based on history, it is rare to have a civil discourse on such a topic in that forum. Several of the more controversial topics illicit name calling and personal attacks that are not tolerated here. Perhaps their moderation has improved since I stopped regularly frequenting RV.NET. I go there only for specific technical questions or searches now. I don't want to read though pages of garbage to get to the important information. That problem has ebbed and flowed over the 7 years that I've been a member there. The most innocuous technical discussion could attract one or two who felt empowered to be downright ugly.

I have many strongly held opinions. Believe or not, I appreciate opposing points of view who are willing to put forth rational support for their views. Discussions like this can keep each of us from working ourselves into a extreme position.

I recently attended an emergency planning seminar and the session leader encouraged us to seek out those who loathed the idea of planning. He said that he had seen examples of people who surrounded themselves with only like minded individuals and the group ended up with an almost cult-like approach. Emergency planning takes all forms from simply those who follow the Boy Scout motto (Be prepared) to "Preppers", some of whom have almost a bunker mentality. As Sea-Jay suggests, there are a lot of different types of things that we can, if we chose to, be prepared for.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I think the armed public is larger than some think.
That is probably true. And a point to be made is that it isn't always necessary to have a CCW in order for the armed public to be legal.

In Texas, for example, the Motorist Protection Act (MPA) allows an individual who is traveling within the State to possess a firearm in their vehicle without a concealed handgun license. That individual is allowed under MPA to move their gun from the car to their home or the reverse legally. A provision that people need to understand is that the gun must be concealed at all times. Individuals are also allowed to have guns in homes without any special license and guns on one's own property don't have to be concealed for the most part.

In AZ and VT, individuals without permits can open carry handguns. Obviously, the public at large could be aware of those people but actually many people never notice. Since it is accepted practice, most don't pay attention. Other States like PA also have open carry provisions but it would be rare to see someone with their gun visible especially in the urban areas. Not all police officers accept the State's open carry law and there have been examples of police abuse of people who tried.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #55

I have a ccw from the state of Florida, and carried all the way across America....except when I entered California and now Oregon. when I was a sailor, I was boarded twice by the coast guard at sea, they inspected my weapons, commenting on my good choices, and left with me feeling better about my choice to be armed. it's true though that being at sea you find yourself outside the country and the need to defend is more obvious. being on land, you will still be in the usa but you could be in a bad area or broke down in an isolated area if you boondock. I think and believe it's my responsibility to keep my family safe. at the expense of some criminal who would try to make what is mine, his.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Better watch out the ATF has a secret decoder ring and can track the posts