Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you legal or not with your concealed weapon?
Yes, have CCW. 63 52.07%
No CCW, still carry and no plans to get a CCW. 19 15.70%
No CCW, but plan to get CCW. 10 8.26%
Do not plan to carry a gun. 29 23.97%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #71

Open carry is a silly idea....In California it is legal to have an openly holstered gun that is visible. But you can't have bullets for it. There are groups of people who just love to flaunt their "right to open carry." They walk into Wallymart with a six shooter on their hip. Of course the vast majority of folks see this and think mass murderer walking into store...call 911. Cops have to respond and check things out. Of course they see the guy carrying a gun and have a duty to check on him...
As above..what is the point? It certainly is not self defense.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In PA you can open carry a firearm in plain sight without a CCWL, but at no time can it be concealed if you don't have the license. It can only be carried into places that legally allow it, such as you cannot of course carry in Federal Buildings, County Buildings may or may not allow it. In the case of the County, normaly the Sheriff will have a lock box for you to secure your weapon while you take care of your business.
Private business may or may not allow it according to their corporate stance on the issue, so they may ask you to either cover it or leave.
Open carry here is really becoming a big thing and in such places as Philadelphia.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
In PA you can open carry a firearm in plain sight without a CCWL, but at no time can it be concealed if you don't have the license. It can only be carried into places that legally allow it, such as you cannot of course carry in Federal Buildings, County Buildings may or may not allow it. In the case of the County, normaly the Sheriff will have a lock box for you to secure your weapon while you take care of your business.
Private business may or may not allow it according to their corporate stance on the issue, so they may ask you to either cover it or leave.
Open carry here is really becoming a big thing and in such places as Philadelphia.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
I've lived in Philly my entire life and I've never seen anyone open carry or heard about it. Where can I get more info? Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #74

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun - Stossel's Take Blog - FoxBusiness.com

FoxPosted by John Stossel | May 16, 2011

IMHO, the subject was spoiling for a confrontation with police. He recorded the encounter. In addition, he did not comply with direct police orders. I agree that those orders were wrong and smacked of police brutality. As I understand it, Philadelphia Police have offered training to their officers since that encounter so that the officers understand that open carry is legal.

This could have gone badly. Officers in Las Vega shot and killed a concealed license holder whose gun was accidentally exposed at a Costco store. The video tapes of the incident, proving the citizen's innocence, conveniently disappeared after being turned over to the police as evidence. The family is suing the department.

We lived in PA for a long time. I would doubt that there is much of a problem with open carry outside of Phila. I worked in the city and found the some of the officers there to be more than a little overbearing.
Trying to provoke them, however is not a good strategy.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
pa firearms owners association

hondo check out the above link, you find your answers there.

2912N I don't agree with open carry 100% but it does gives me the right to walk around the mountain area where we live and not have to worry about being questioned for it, especially by a Game Warden for not having a hunting license. I do open carry while walking in the woods.
I would never consider walking downtown with my weapon in plain view, I like it concealed because no one needs to know.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #76

Let me modify...If open carry means you can openly carry your pistol when out in the woods etc...I don't see a problem. It is when folks strap a gun on and go waltzing through the city...the only reason they do it is to force a confrontation. That is pointless.

But to the original point...if you have a gun for protection...understand your rights and your responsibilities. Too many folks rely on the military training they had 35 years ago...the rules are different.

From this morning's paper

Friends mourn Radford girl

If you have one be careful. If you have kids be careful.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Carry a concieled handgun in the motorhome, no CHL required in Texas and most other states.
That's not quite true....Each state has it's own regulations and views on what classification a motor home falls in. This web site give pretty good info and is kept up to date as a rule...www.handgunlaw.us ... I check this site often as I travel around this country of ours...Better to be safe then sorry.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I've lived in Philly my entire life and I've never seen anyone open carry or heard about it. Where can I get more info? Thanks
Here's a forum that talks about open carry....OCDO
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #79

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
Open carry is a silly idea....In California it is legal to have an openly holstered gun that is visible. But you can't have bullets for it. There are groups of people who just love to flaunt their "right to open carry." They walk into Wallymart with a six shooter on their hip. Of course the vast majority of folks see this and think mass murderer walking into store...call 911. Cops have to respond and check things out. Of course they see the guy carrying a gun and have a duty to check on him...
As above..what is the point? It certainly is not self defense.

AZ is open carry and people don't overreact like you are saying. I spend a lot of time in SoCal and have never seen that happen either.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #80

In much of AZ people are used to seeing ranchers etc walk around with guns. In San Diego...not so much. In LA...not so much. There was a small group of folks who would strap on a gun and go to the mall with the specific intent of forcing a confrontation with the police. By and large these were the ONLY folks who openly carried a gun. I found that you could also not have a discussion with these folks about it because it is an absolute to them.

But again...the main point here is that if you are going to have a gun you should know how to use it. You should know when you may or may not use it. You should know that when you bring that gun out you have just taken force to the ultimate level. Just some things to think about.
As a scenario to think about...You are sleeping in your house/rv/tent...you hear noises and arm yourself before going out to look. You see a 15 year old stealing your $200.00 gas grill that you just got on sale at Camping World. Are you going to point your gun at him? If you do what will you say? What will you do if he says "&^%& off!" and walks away with your property in hand? What will you do if he turns, looks at you and says, "Go ahead. Shoot me."
The issues of being armed are not as simple as portrayed. Having a gun, be you permitted or not, is a serious responsibility.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #81

If you are stealing my stuff, & nobodys life is in danger , the thief will not even see my gun.
Another scenario: you walk out of the store to find someone has broken into your truck & attempting to steal it. Your best bet if your armed is call the cops, don't go anywhere near them. At this point your life is not in danger, by confronting the thief, you put your own life in danger.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #82

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
....The issues of being armed are not as simple as portrayed. Having a gun, be you permitted or not, is a serious responsibility.
Agreed. On balance, however, are the stories about people who are able to defend themselves with little or no training. The stories under the heading "The Armed Citizen" detail some of those situations. I strongly support firearm safety and believe that there are moral as well as legal judgements that people need to make before considering a firearm.

I didn't get the feeling that the OP had that in mind for this thread. The question was about the legality of just having a gun. It is my sense that many don't understand just how easy it is to be in a situation where there is no legal way for them to have their gun. This includes having the gun in the wrong place. For example, SC requires that if you have a gun in the car, it must be in the the glove box. Having it in a holster between the the seats would make you illegal. Under Texas MPA, the gun must be concealed at all times. In WVA, without a concealed license, the gun must be visible. Some people believe that if they unload their gun and even take it apart, they are legal. Depending on where they are, they are not legal.

Even having a concealed permit doesn't solve the legal/illegal issue. The reciprocity map of which States recognize other States permits is sometimes difficult to understand. Oregon recently passed a law that, in its original form, would have granted reciprocity with any State that recognized Oregon's permit. Unfortunately, the Legislature changed some of the provisions at the last minute. So someone seeing that the Bill was passed and signed into law might believe that they could now legally carry a concealed weapon with their own State's permit in Oregon. They cannot, at least yet.

A simple solution might be for the Federal government to pass a law granting individuals with a permit in any State the right to use that permit in any other State, much like the Driver's License situation today. I would prefer that not to happen. Once the Federal government has that much power over concealed permits, it is short step to them banning all of concealed carry.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #83

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
If you are stealing my stuff, & nobodys life is in danger , the thief will not even see my gun.
Another scenario: you walk out of the store to find someone has broken into your truck & attempting to steal it. Your best bet if your armed is call the cops, don't go anywhere near them. At this point your life is not in danger, by confronting the thief, you put your own life in danger.
I agree. In the Texas Penal Code, there are provisions for using deadly force, particularly at night, that cross moral boundaries that some people will not do. It is one thing to defend your family against a potential deadly threat and another to use that same force to defend a big screen TV. The difficulty comes in knowing, under stressful and not completely visible circumstances, that it is one or the other. The perp who has broken into your house at 2am to steal a flat screen may be armed and willing to kill to get his way.

There was supposed to be a study of prison inmates that said that 60% of them were more afraid of homeowners than they were the police. If only that feeling would act as a deterrent to those willing to steal when the risk of a homeowner and his family being home is the greatest.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #84

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebug View Post
The best defense from a gun carrying family is 911.
Yep, when seconds count the police/sheriff/state patrol may be 20-30 MINUTES away!
They'll get there in time to take your statement (if you're still alive that is).

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote