Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you legal or not with your concealed weapon?
Yes, have CCW. 63 52.07%
No CCW, still carry and no plans to get a CCW. 19 15.70%
No CCW, but plan to get CCW. 10 8.26%
Do not plan to carry a gun. 29 23.97%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #113

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I live in California, volunteer for the Sheriff and in fact today is range day for any volunteer and the deputies. Better to learn how to shoot right and safely. Rural California is not anti gun and the number of CCW's is huge. Volunteers may not and do not carry when in service.

I have carried a pistol in a lockbox under the bed of the MH but I found something better, for me anyway. At the COP West show in Pamona I bought a 1.5 million volt taser. The first time I set it off in the house the cat disappeared for 4 hours. Let me say this that in close quarters that 1,5 million volts really gets your attention.
And no we can't carry a taser while on duty either.

I don't ever want to take a life but I have no problem scaring the crap out of someone, and if you have that they don't know what else you might have. I have been known to carry a black powder 44 caliber New Army with much of the same effect except it has a 0.451 round ball of pure lead and tons of smoke and two big bangs.
I fully understand and agree that there are some CCWs in CA. I suspect they are in rural pockets across the State. But CCW Statistics suggests a pretty low total number. And given the overall population in CA, versus other States with similar totals, it is paltry showing.

While it is several years older,
Concealed Carry Holsters California CCW Holder Stats shows that there are counties where very few citizens are permitted to protect themselves outside of their homes.

I have friends who volunteer with a local police force and they are not permitted to carry weapons of any kind either. Several patrol our Town in Town logo golf carts and all they have is a radio. I can definitely see not wanting people without training to get themselves and others into trouble. On the other hand, when you put someone it any vehicle in a a uniform and give them a Town vehicle to drive, you pretty much can make a target out of them under the right circumstances. No everyone with bad intentions sees the difference between a standard police uniform and that of a volunteer.

There are always criminals who are influenced a citizen who shows some willingness to fight back with anything. There are also a lot of hardened recidivists who are on the streets and have no regard at all for human life. It comes down to the luck of the draw and maybe your situational awareness as to which type you meet up with.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In you live in one of the Counties that make up the San Francisco Bay area, you can forget about obtaining a CCW. I have asked and was told, "don't even bother applying".

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
In Californicate if you own a slingshot, the little communists out here think you are a terrorist.
I think most people that do not live in California think that everybody here is a liberal, surfs all day, and hates guns. The state however is a huge state (size and population) with a very diverse population. We have huge cities all the way to fast back woods areas. I live in one of the more conservative counties that make it easy to obtain a CCW. In fact if you are mentally stable and want it for the right reasons then your in. By the way I'm conservative, never surfed a day in my life and like guns.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
In you live in one of the Counties that make up the San Francisco Bay area, you can forget about obtaining a CCW. I have asked and was told, "don't even bother applying".
Sorry, beautiful area of the state, but very strict on their gun laws.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #117

I have my conceal permit but most of the parks I see online say no weapons allowed.
Do you still bring it and break the law?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #118

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
I have my conceal permit but most of the parks I see online say no weapons allowed.
Do you still bring it and break the law?
I don't know how the laws are in your State but not all "no guns" signs mean no guns.

For example. the Texas State Parks system has a system wide ban on guns. If you read the Texas Penal Code, it says that State and local government cannot ban concealed handgun license holders. The CHLs know the law and where they can and cannot carry. There are specific signs for CHLs but the State park system sign does not apply to them.

National Parks permit concealed license holders but not inside any Federal building in the park. Army Corps of Engineers land is off limits to all guns, including the COE controlled RV parks around lakes.

It is important to understand the specific provisions of the laws which govern the parks that you want to visit.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #119

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I think most people that do not live in California think that everybody here is a liberal, surfs all day, and hates guns. The state however is a huge state (size and population) with a very diverse population. We have huge cities all the way to fast back woods areas. I live in one of the more conservative counties that make it easy to obtain a CCW. In fact if you are mentally stable and want it for the right reasons then your in. By the way I'm conservative, never surfed a day in my life and like guns.
Just like everyone outside of Texas assumes that every Texan is armed - that is not true either. We entered Canada with our RV and the only questions that the Canadian border guard wanted to ask me were did I have any guns or did I own any guns. We went to great lengths to comply with Canadian border rules on food, alcohol and several other areas. Nope. Didn't care. Guns are the only topic that was important when you have Texas license plates. And of course, we didn't have any guns.

NJ is far more restrictive on guns, particularly handguns than CA. Even in NJ, there are hand gun enthusiasts. The ridiculous rules on hand guns just make it a lot harder. Of course, NJ's ridiculous rules also say that it is dangerous to pump your own gas so that isn't permitted either. Just imagine how unsafe the other 48 States are where that is permitted.
Having lived there 3 years, I couldn't leave soon enough.

IL is a lot like CA regarding guns and their legality. I'm told that outside of Chicago, many of the small town police chiefs look the other way regarding citizens with guns. It seems like it is the big population centers where the rules favor only criminals having guns.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #120

This thread has strayed way off from the original...so I will push further.

Remember that the ones who set the rules about issuing ccw, frequently the sherrif or chief of police, are politicians. They will bend with the political winds.

Many, if not most, gun control laws are poorly written and written by emotion instead of common sense. They are also frequently at odds with one another.

California bans "high capacity" magazines. When I had to replace magazines a couple of years ago for a Sig p226 the cost in California was insane...not to mention the hoops you have to jump through to order them. I took a trip to Virginia, bought replacements at a shop for a quarter the cost in CA and took them home. What a silly law.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #121

We drive marked cars in a uniform with a badge. It is hard to distinguish us from an officer. To offset this we always go in pairs and are highly trained. We carry an standard issue HT and have standard issue mobile radios in the cars. We often find ourselves to be the first responders. If we need an officer we get one fast and they come with an attitude. Our department has more than 3,000 volunteers in every department including the coroners office and marine units.